Marriage Age

  • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 30, 2004
      I discovered this interesting information today:

      > Up to the year 1848 a bridal pair had to obtain permission to wed not
      > only from their parents (the age of majority was 24 years) but also
      > from their respective overlord or magistrate - while this permission
      > was nearly always granted it also entailed expenses.
    • rebellous_99
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 30, 2004
        Haven't looked into that possibility of being related to LBJ, but I'd
        say it's unlikely.

        Matt

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Rochelle Feeney <rochelle@a...>
        wrote:
        > MATT,
        >
        > 26. MELVIN LEE3 PECHACEK (JOSEPH LUTCY2, ADOLPH1) was born 25 Dec
        1919 in
        > Yoakum, Lavaca, Texas, and died 9 Sep 1986 in Virginia. He married
        DOROTHY
      • D1JEZEK@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 30, 2004
          where did you find that?  it definitely explains the ages among the marrying couples in my line back in Cermna.  if permission was denied, did the couples ever just go ahead anyway in some unofficial kind of marriage?  i never found marriage information on my great great grandparents or a birth record for my great grandfather.