Intro

  • Marianne Lemke
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003
      Greetings and Happy New Year!

      I have lurked for a little while to learn about this
      group. While most of the postings seem to be obits,
      members also seem to jump in and share so I hope you
      all don't get tired of my asking questions.

      I am not from Texas but from Chicago and my relatives
      have settled there since 1880's. I have started to do
      some geneological research and have hit so many dead
      ends as I have no one to get info from. But on
      Christmas Day I found my grandfather and
      greatgrandfather on the census lists for 1900 and
      1920! That was a wonderful Christmas present, my
      mother was listed as being 2 and 3/12s of age in 1920
      so I have somewhere to start. It seems doing this
      research can get very expensive, I am on Disability
      so any suggestions for places to look up info without
      a charge would be greatly appreciated.

      My grandfathers name was Posedel and he was born in
      1879 and came here from Bohemia in 1889 with his
      parents, a sister and brothers. He was naturalized in
      1900. I have no idea if any of the family papers are
      still in existance--I have some cousins I am not close
      to who may have them.

      I live in Dallas and actually live around the corner
      from the Czech club although I have never gone there.
      I told my husband we could go there for New Year's and
      he turned very pale--polka music scares him!lol!

      Thank you for letting me ramble; it's nice to think
      people of this list won't think it is just plain weird
      when I mention memories of carp in the bathtub.

      Happy New Year,
      Marianne Lemke

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003

        <------------------------SNIP----------------------------------------->

        >Happy New Year,
        >Marianne Lemke

        The Czech Club in Dallas is really a nice place to go. Polka music is
        not that scary! Al Vanek, who is playing there tonight, not only
        plays polka's but also lots of good Czech waltzes and even many old
        country and western classics from from the '40's, and '50's, that are
        really enjoyable to listen to. It's worth going there just to listen
        to the music and be around a lot of friendly people just like yourself
        and your husband. What better way to bring in the new year than to be
        with "nasinci".(hacek over the s). Who knows, you may enjoy it enough
        to go there more often.

        Thanks for joining in our Texas-Czech group and may you and your
        family have a very happy and successful new year.

        Na Shledanou,
        Josef
      • Nangotoo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
          >>In a message dated 12/30/03 5:16:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, ramothus@... writes:

          I have lurked for a little while to learn about this
          group.  While most of the postings seem to be obits,
          members also seem to jump in and share so I hope you
          all don't get tired of my asking questions<<

          Welcome, Marianne.

          I'm Nan from San Diego, CA, so you see that you are among others that aren't directly from Texas.  My mother was born outside of Cuero, TX and was raised in Gonzales.  She and an honorary "aunt" worked their way to CA in 1947 and were planning to work here in So. CA just to see what the area was like.  Mom wound up meeting my dad and she has been here ever since. haha.  Her family has been in TX since the 1850's, though and was from Moravia.  At least you ARE in Texas, close to Czech people and things.  Let your husband know that the polka isn't scary at all. My mom taught us how to do it when we were little and we get some polka music on the radio even here in So. Cal.!  I love the music.  You can't be sad with polka music playing and people dancing.  Your feet just have to move to that music!
          Glad that you are with us, Marianne.

          Nan