Military records

  • Darlene Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2000
      Hello everyone!!!!
      I need some help. Where can I write to to find Military records? for
      U.S.

      thanks

      Darlene
    • G Martisek
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2011
        Message
        Where you get copies of military records for WWII veterans?  I know the DD214 has some information, but is there another record that should be asked for?

        Thanks,
        Gerri
      • FayeLee39@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2011
          http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/
          http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

          Gerri,
          These are two places to start.  Sometimes you can get the info on line, other times you have to send a written request, and sometimes you have to telephone them.  There are all kinds of sites on the internet that lead you the wrong way.

          Another situation that you have to deal with is:  The Warehouse that housed a large number of WW 2 veteran records burned in the 1970's, and several of the records were burned up.  My uncle's record was in that burned warehouse.

          Also the more information that you have for an individual, the better off you may be in obtaining the information you are looking for.

          Correct, the DD-214 has most of the information on this form.  But if they have the service record there, you might even find more.

          Hope this helped.

          Cullis

          Where you get copies of military records for WWII veterans?  I know the DD214 has some information, but is there another record that should be asked for?

          Thanks,
          Gerri
        • Rosemary Ermis
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 2011
            Years after my dad died, my sister was having medical problems.  So she wrote and requested dad's medical records from WWII.  They asked for a dead certificate, and upon receiving it, released a mound of records to her, mostly medical but also work related.

            Rosemary