Re: Translation Request

  • Chuck Shultz
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2000
      Sciba Anniversary Announcement
      July 1927
      Hallettsville, TX
      Newspaper Unknown

      Fifty years of faithful marriage

      The couple Vincenc and Frantiska Sciba, nee Holotik, celebrated on
      Sunday the 17th of this month the 50th anniversary of their wedding
      (i.e. the so-called Golden Wedding). At half past seven in the
      morning, accompanied by their children and grandchildren, they
      visited Sacred Heart Church. There, before the altar and Rev.
      Mathis, they renewed their promise of eternal marriage, which
      they took 50 years at St. John the Baptist Church in Fayetteville,
      Texas, assisted by Rev. J. J. Chromcik. For fifty years they have
      been sharing loyally all the joy and trouble, worries and pleasures
      of this life, they brought up and established eleven children and can
      rejoice at forty four grandchildren and one great-grandson.

      Mr. Sciba was born in Prussian Silesia in 1857 and came to America as
      a 10-year-old boy, together with his parents, who settled in the
      vicinity of Frelsburg, Texas.

      Mrs. Sciba was born in Moravia in 1858 and at the age of 15 she and
      her parents came to Fayetteville. On July 17, 1877, they promised
      each other fidelity till death would part them and now they are
      renewing it.

      Their children are: Justina (Mrs. Josef Strauss), Anna, Frantisek,
      Rudolf, August, Theresie (Mrs. Jan Chovanec) of Hallettsville, Alois
      of Cuero, Bedrich (Fred), Otto, Amalie (Mrs. Jan Hrncir) of Sugarland
      and Marie (Mrs. J. G. Kuhn) of Taylor.

      About 40 years ago Mr. and Mrs. Sciba moved to our county and farmed
      in the vicinity of Hallettsville. Recently they moved to the city to
      enjoy the rest after long and hard living on the farm.

      Despite their age, they are of good health and mind. Mr. Sciba is
      one of the founders of K.J.T. and all his sons are members. The
      K.J.T. awarded him a "Cross of Merit", which is awarded to those, who
      have four or more sons in the Jednota. Mrs. Sciba is a member of the
      local K.J.Z.T and she was awarded also, since her four daughters are
      members of the Order.

      [Then a normal congratulation to the couple follows, wishing them
      health and happiness to their following life]