Kostoryz, Folda, Bohemian Colony, Nueces County, TX.

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003

      Stanley L. Kostoryz (also spelled Kostohryz), born in Prague and a former school teacher and newspaper publisher in Nebraska, came by train to South Texas in 1904 looking for "frontier" wild land to be settled by Czech immigrants and then placed under agricultural production. He initially purchased a ranch of approximately 7,800 to the south west of the small port town of Corpus Christi, Nueces Country, Texas. This land was platted for subdividing and was titled "The Bohemian Colony." Mr. Kostoryz purchased and additional 2,300 acres in 1910 which was added to the colony. Over time, Mr. Kostoryz lost his zeal for the project and in 1916 he started selling sections of the Bohemian Colony to Mr. Longin Folda, a Nebraska banker. In 1921, Mr. Folda purchased the balance of the Kostoryz land holdings. In 1923, Longin Folda died and his son, Lamar Folda took over the management of the property. To this day, Corpus Christi is home to a large number of Texas Czechs.

      Mr. Jerry Elzner of Corpus Christi and I have joined together in a effort to have historical markers dedicated for The Bohemian Colony, Mr. Kostoryz and the Foldas, and landmark sites such as the Kostoryz School. Jerry is currently collecting source documents from the Nueces County Court House. I have offered to compile and write the documented research paper(s) for this project.

      The intent of this message is to invite for participation in this project anyone who has connections to or documented information on the Bohemian Colony, the Kostoryz and/or Folda families, or the St. Boliver (later renamed for Sts. Cyril and Methodius) Catholic Church, the Kostroyz school, etc. We are looking for source documents such as copies of property deeds, other legal documents, photographs, and personal accounts and documented histories. Perhaps we will even be able to compile a listing of landowners.

      Mr. Elzner does not have internet access; however, you may contact me at srektorik@... or at Susan Rektorik Henley, 4256 County Road 42, Robstown, TX., 78380.

      Susan Rektorik Henley

      Kdo chce s vlky býti, musí vlky výti!--If you run with the wolves, then you must howl with the wolves!

      Remember who your people are, keep and tell their stories to keep the fires of the culture alive!

    • Nangotoo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
        In a message dated 11/3/03 12:14:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, srektorik@... writes:

        >>The intent of this message is to invite for participation in this project anyone who has connections to or documented information on the Bohemian Colony, the Kostoryz and/or Folda families, or the St. Boliver (later renamed for Sts. Cyril and Methodius) Catholic Church, the Kostroyz school, etc. We are looking for source documents such as copies of property deeds, other legal documents, photographs, and personal accounts and documented histories. Perhaps we will even be able to compile a listing of landowners<<

        Susan,

        What an interesting project!  I don't have ties to that area, but please keep us informed as to how it is going.

        Nan
        San Diego, CA

      • Roland Beausoleil
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2003
          Hi Susan,

          I just finished reading 'Czech Pioneers of the Southwest' but had to
          return it to the library last Thursday. There is a chapter in the book
          dealing with Czech settlement of Nueces County and refers to Stanley
          Kostoryz and Longin Folda. I made a copy of the index. If you have
          access to this book this article can be found on pages 326, 327 and 328.

          By the way, anyone who wants to read a vivid account of the early
          Czech arrivals to Texas I highly recommend this book. It has references
          to many of the early Czech settlers and the author goes out of his/her
          way to list the children of the various families which makes this a
          great genealogical reference as well.

          Roland Beausoleil

          Susan Rektorik Henley wrote:

          > Stanley L. Kostoryz (also spelled Kostohryz), born in Prague and a
          > former school teacher and newspaper publisher in Nebraska, came by
          > train to South Texas in 1904 looking for "frontier" wild land to be
          > settled by Czech immigrants and then placed under agricultural
          > production. He initially purchased a ranch of approximately 7,800 to
          > the south west of the small port town of Corpus Christi, Nueces
          > Country, Texas. This land was platted for subdividing and was titled
          > "The Bohemian Colony." Mr. Kostoryz purchased and additional 2,300
          > acres in 1910 which was added to the colony. Over time, Mr. Kostoryz
          > lost his zeal for the project and in 1916 he started selling sections
          > of the Bohemian Colony to Mr. Longin Folda, a Nebraska banker. In
          > 1921, Mr. Folda purchased the balance of the Kostoryz land holdings.
          > In 1923, Longin Folda died and his son, Lamar Folda took over the
          > management of the property. To this day, Corpus Christi is home to a
          > large number of Texas Czechs.
          >
          > Mr. Jerry Elzner of Corpus Christi and I have joined together in a
          > effort to have historical markers dedicated for The Bohemian Colony,
          > Mr. Kostoryz and the Foldas, and landmark sites such as the Kostoryz
          > School. Jerry is currently collecting source documents from the Nueces
          > County Court House. I have offered to compile and write the documented
          > research paper(s) for this project.
          >
          > The intent of this message is to invite for participation in this
          > project anyone who has connections to or documented information on the
          > Bohemian Colony, the Kostoryz and/or Folda families, or the St.
          > Boliver (later renamed for Sts. Cyril and Methodius) Catholic Church,
          > the Kostroyz school, etc. We are looking for source documents such as
          > copies of property deeds, other legal documents, photographs, and
          > personal accounts and documented histories. Perhaps we will even be
          > able to compile a listing of landowners.
          >
          > Mr. Elzner does not have internet access; however, you may contact me
          > at srektorik@... or at Susan Rektorik Henley, 4256 County Road
          > 42, Robstown, TX., 78380.Susan Rektorik Henley Kdo chce s vlky býti,
          > musí vlky výti!--If you run with the wolves, then you must howl with
          > the wolves! Remember who your people are, keep and tell their stories
          > to keep the fires of the culture alive!
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          [click here]

          > http://explorer.msn.com
        • texasjoe43
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2003
            "Czech Pioneers of the Southwest" can be ordered from the Czech
            Culture Center in Houston. I ordered one earlier this year. It is a
            wonderful book. Here is a link to their order page:
            http://www.czechcenter.org/market/orderblank.html

            Joe

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Roland Beausoleil
            <rbeausoleil@c...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > copies of property deeds, other legal documents, photographs, and
            > > personal accounts and documented histories. Perhaps we will even
            be
            > > able to compile a listing of landowners.
            > >
            > > Mr. Elzner does not have internet access; however, you may
            contact me
            > > at srektorik@h... or at Susan Rektorik Henley, 4256 County Road
            > > 42, Robstown, TX., 78380.Susan Rektorik Henley Kdo chce s vlky
            býti,
            > > musí vlky výti!--If you run with the wolves, then you must howl
            with
            > > the wolves! Remember who your people are, keep and tell their
            stories
            > > to keep the fires of the culture alive!
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > [click here]

            > > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less

            Service.