Re: [TexasCzechs] Pig Killing Festival - Here I Come!!!

  • barbi grl
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 30, 2003
      which makes me remember the family photos of my own
      family butchering a pig :) too bad i dont have it with
      me to show the locals!
      i will definitely take tons of pictures and notes!

      --- richardgarza1@... wrote:
      > Hi Leigh,
      > You really didn't have to go all the way to
      > the Czech Republic
      > and pay to see a zabijacka.<g> We've got some
      > friends in Nelsonville that
      > do it every Winter and would be happy to invite you
      > for free! They keep
      > inviting us to come up early so we can see the whole
      > process. But somehow
      > we just never make it there until the jitrnice is on
      > the frying pan. Ha!
      > Do take lots of pictures and notes and give
      > us a full report.
      > Actually, I think our friends would give their eye
      > teeth to see this done
      > in the old homeland. I think they expect it to look
      > like a Mikulas Ales
      > drawing.<g>
      > Rick Garza
      > Bellaire, TX
      >
      > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 05:15:18 -0800 (PST) barbi grl
      > <barbi_grl_1@...> writes:
      > > I am finally going to get OUT of the big city and
      > go
      > > to a small town - Jablonec on the
      > Czech/Polish/Slovak
      > > border to enjoy the local annual pig killing
      > festival!
      > > this event is so popular that you have to buy
      > > TICKETS???!!!!!!! it's taking place
      > 22-23.november.
      > > I will take lots of pictures, try to speak as much
      > czech as i can.
      > >
      > > __________________________________

      > The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno
      > SpeedBand!
      > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      > Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
      > today!

    • Lauren
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 30, 2003
        Just wanted to say hello and welcome Nate!
        Hope you enjoy the group, I am a newcomer of sorts, long time viewer
        though and there are many nice, helpful enjoyable people here,
        I think you will enjoy!

        Lauren
        **************************************

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Nate" <Nate@p...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone! I am a Dallas resident who recently found this
        group
        > through the website of "The Texas Czech Storyteller". I'm so happy
        > to learn that there is such an abundance of Czech culture and
        > heritage in Texas! I look forward to getting to know people here.
        >
        > It seems that this group is in large part dedicated to genealogy.
        Is
        > it inappropriate for me to make postings concerning my quest to
        learn
        > more of the Czech language and Czech culture? I have had a great
        > love for the people of the Czech Republic since my first encounter
        > with them a couple years ago over the internet.
        >
        > It was my great fortune to visit the inspirational and beautiful
        city
        > of Praha recently. Eight days in the Czech Republic was more than
        > enough for my love of the country and her people to become truly
        > concrete. While in Praha I rejoiced at the chance to practice what
        > Czech I have already learned while increasing my knowledge through
        > conversation.
        >
        > When the time came for me to leave the Czech Republic I found
        myself
        > repeatedly in tears as the plane left the ground, then passed
        through
        > the clouds barring my vision of the beautiful countryside and city
        > below. Now that I am back in the Czech Republic I am learning
        > everything that I can about the Czech Republic, especially the
        > language. One of my favorite activities has been learning to sing
        > the Czech National Anthem, "Kde Domov Muj".
        >
        > I suppose my main reason for joining this group is the hope that I
        > can make contacts with people who would be willing to help me
        > continue my study of the Czech language and Czech culture. Please
        > email me or post a message to the group if you would like to
        contact
        > me. :) I genuinely appreciate it. I apologize in advance if this
        > email is off-topic. Please forgive me for rambling. My passion
        gets
        > the best of me at times.
        >
        > Sincere thanks,
        > Nate F.
      • Nate
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
          Thank you Lauren! Your comment about people here being very nice and
          helpful has already been demonstrated. ;) I've also found some very
          helpful links through some members' websites-especially
          goodolejoe's. Thanks again for your message. I look forward to
          getting to know everyone.

          Na shledanou!
          --Nate