New to the group

  • Pat Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hi there,

      My name is Pat Smith, I live in Richmond Texas and I just joined to group.  Had an uncle that died this week and started looking into my family history.  My maiden name is Schiller.  My uncle that died was named Rudolph Schiller and his family lives in the Temple area.  I think around Seaton.  My dad's name is Robert Alvin Schiller, and he was one of 14 brothers and sisters...a few of who are still alive.  My dad grew up in the Temple area, as well as my mom, Anna Marie (Loke) Schiller, who grew up in Westphalia.  My mother's maiden name is Loke (Looka).  Is there anyone out there who may have known them when they were young.  I also heard that there was going to be a (sort of) reunion or picnic in Westphalia this month.  Does anyone know about that?

      I have a sister-in-law, Karen Schiller, whose maiden name is Krenek.  She has a sister named Eileen and her parents both died about 25-30 years ago.
      Anyone out the related?

      Just fishin for info.  Thanks a mil!
    • Angel
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
        Hi! My name is Angel and I just found your group while researching
        my maternal grandmother, Frances Mary Gabrish Shwadlenak. I'm trying
        to locate information in Moravia and don't really know how to do it.
        Has anyone else researched family in the Old Country?
      • carlgenlnrt
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
          Angel:

          You first need to know the name of the town your ancestor came from
          in order to do research. Then you can hire a professional researcher
          to do the research. The archives in the Czech Republic no longer
          accept genealogical requests.

          Carl

        • ardisjoyce@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2004
            Do you know the ancestral village?  That was about the only information I had when I started because I had asked my husband's parents for that to put in our first born's baby book.  Plus on our first trip to Prague we met a wonderful couple who have become good friends, and since they speak English, have been very helpful to us.   I then began by writing to the Archives in Prague and Brno, and for a nominal cost have traced my husband's family back to the 1700s.  Although I have read that the Archives will no longer do research for you, when we were in Prague in January, 2003, our friends ther went with me to the National Archives; I met the young man who had done the original reseach; came away with photocopies of the register of my father-in-law's birth and of his parent's marriage.  The young man agreed to do more research for us, and in December of 2003, we recieved the information from the 1921 census of their village and for the first time, the actual death dates of my husband's grandparents.  One problem is their privacy laws that makes it hard sometimes for even professtional researchers to obtain recent information.  Tthere are professionals who will research for you, but it depends on how much you want to pay for such work.

            If there is anything else I could help you with, you can email me privately at ardisjoyce@....

            Joyce Ehrenberger
          • cfsneed
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 23, 2007
              Hi! I am new to the group and I find this site not only interesting
              but helpful as well. My Dad's family was from the Yorktown,
              Gonzales,Cuero, Goliad area. They were Wostal, Warzecha, Respondek,
              Nesloney. I know many came from Panna Maria as well. I guess my
              question would be, I know that they all originated from Poland, but I
              have always heard the phrase Texas Czech's when there was a discussion
              about them. I feel as if I am confusing two different groups: the
              Polish background and the Czech background. Are the two really
              linked, or am I mistaken in my thoughts of youth and family visits.

              Many Thanks
              Connie Sneed
              La Grange, TX
            • Richard Martin
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 23, 2007
                Hello Connie, and welcome to the group!  There are a lot of nice and helpful people here.

                As for your question, it is entirely possible that you have ancestors that were at some point from Poland, and either transplanted to one of the "Czech" regions, (as there were actually "German-Moravians" for example).  A second explanation might well be that if you look at maps and the history of the Silesia region of what is now the Czech Republic, you will note various changes in the borders over the years.  Hypothetically, this may have included a portion of your ancestor's border area village(s) that were once considered part of Poland (on the northern border of what is now the Czech Republic), where the border later changed and included them as part of Silesia.

                Do you have any specific village names to look into?

                I hope this helps, or at least gives you another direction to examine.

                Sincerely,
                Richard

              • c sneed
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 23, 2007

                  Hello Richard,
                  Thanks for replying.
                  One of the areas I know that is listed on our family tree is....
                  Schodnia, Upper Silesia, Poland
                  I live in Fayette County Texas and many of the Czech's here say, Yes you would be considered Czech and the other half says No!!!!  I just would like to be a little more clear about the subject.  Any info would be great.
                  Thanks,
                  Connie Sneed
                  Richard Martin <martin1019@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate