Introduction

  • Diana Proud
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29 5:19 AM

      Hello to all,

      I figured I shouldn't lurk too long, so here is a brief intro on my family. I apologize if it gets too long.

      My greatgrandfather, his wife, and 5 children came to the US in 1886.  I found his grant for citizenship in Gonzales county, but have yet to find his declaration of intent.  Like others during this time, even though I thought they might have landed in Galveston, probably not.  Well, here is what I have.

      Great grandfather - Josef Matijeas, born in 1848 in CZ, though nat papers say he was a native of Bestree, Hostau, Austria ? (hard to read the writing).  Over the years, the e was dropped from the name leaving Matijas, then still later the j was lost leaving our present last name of Matias.  My father says he remembers hearing that the name was changed upon arrival, so I have no idea if Matijeas is original or not.

      Josef married Marie Zabransky, born in 1847 in Brodeslavy, Bhm, Austria to Peter and Maria Stimbal Zabransky.  Together they had 5 children, born in either Austria or CZ, though my great grandfather's death cert says he was born in Moravia.  With their 5 children they settled in Terryville, located in the area of Gonzales, Lavaca, and DeWitt counties.

      Josef and Marie's 5 children were:                                                                                                                                                 Emily, born in 1878, married Joseph Motal in Tx, and died in 1928,                                                                                                   Mary, born in 9/12/1879, never married, died in 1952,                                                                                                                     Anton, born in 1881, never married, died in 1960,                                                                                                                          Joseph, born 9/10/1883, never married, died 1960, and                                                                                                                         my grandfather, Louis, born 4/27/1885, married Mary Pustka (daughter of Francis and Anna Petr Pustka) in January 1912, and died 11/14/1964.

      Louis and Mary settled in the area of Kokernot and Dreyer, located off 90A between Shiner and Gonzales.  Together they had 8 children:  Joseph, Mary, Filomena, Anton, Louis, Frank (my father), Annie, and Rosie.

      Any ideas on where to look for additional info would be appreciated.  Prior to writing this, I was skimming the list and saw the entry regarding Adolph Hofner and his death.  I remember when he died, but also remember him and his band playing at my wedding reception in 1979.

      Well, thanks for listening and sorry this was longer than I thought.  Again, thanks for any ideas.

      Diana Proud

      Do You Yahoo!?
    • dmproud@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 29 8:09 AM
        Thanks for the information about the times with regards to Austria
        vs. Czechoslovakia.

        Haven't had a chance to check all library/courthouses in the area
        yet, but do plan to. Made a list of all the counties between
        Galveston and Gonzales so I can check the naturalization indexes for
        each in the hopes that great grandpa filled out his decl of intent
        along the way somewhere. If he and the family landed in New York,
        where would I look up there to see if he filed his decl of intent in
        that area?

        I wish I knew more......
        So, here I am grateful for all the suggestions.

        Thanks again,
        Diana Matias Proud

        Surnames: Matias, Matijas, Matijeas (take your choice),
        Zabransky (great grandma), Pustka (grandma),
        Peterek, Blaschke, Novak, Targac, Siegel, Kulhanek
        (spouses of my dad's 6 siblings)

        Again, many thanks,
        Diana
      • wendydominga
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 15, 2003
          Hello Everyone,
          I have been a member of this group for a few weeks now and have not
          properly introduced myself. My name is Cindy Cantrell and I live in
          Richardson, TX. I have been tracing family history for sometime now,
          mainly on my non-Czech side of the family. Now is the time for
          researching the Czech side. My mother's maiden name is (Frances)
          Zurovetz and grew up around the Granger-Taylor area of Texas. Her
          mother was a (Frances)Kubala. My family is having a surprise 80th
          birthday for my mother next month and I hope to gather lots of info
          from relatives that attend. This site has some wonderful
          information! Here's a question? Does anyone know where I can find
          recorded Texas Czech Polka music on CD in the Dallas area? I have
          contacted several bands via their websites for ordering but several
          weeks have past and no replies. We plan on having this music at the
          party. Unfortunately the place we rented does not accommadate for a
          band and dancing, although Mother is almost 80 - she can still polka!
          Cindy
        • richardgarza1@juno.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 15, 2003
            Hello Cindy,
                    Welcome to the group. We've recently been discussing a CD by Arhoolie Records called "The Texas-Czech Bohemian, & Morivan Bands - Historic Recordings 1929-1959". Tower Records carries this album and there's a Tower Records in Dallas. If they don't have it on hand, they can order it and have it to you in a few days (or order from the web), about $14.99. Below is a little info along with a short review.
                    If your mom is going to be 80, this album will certainly brighten her day.
            Rick Garza
            Sharing. It's what it's all about!
            http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

            “Texas Czech Bohemian - Moravian Bands”

            Various Artists

            CD 7026
            CD upc: 096297702628

            REVIEW

            “This mammoth 77-minute, 27-track CD is an entertaining excursion into Central European Music after it migrated to the U.S. Southwest. The German accordion's influence on Cajun and Hispanic cultures has already been well-documented, but here we can hear how the musical content of those immigrant cultures was infused into existing musics of Texas. These are top-notch polkas, waltzes, and marches played by bands that feature brass and reeds and violins and even hammered zither instruments. The Baca family, the Hofner family and Joe Patek's Ork. are prominently featured, and probably were the most influential in the community that exists even today in Texas. Adolph Hofner is the best-known of these musicians because of his side trip into Western Swing. This CD pleases me greatly.”

            (Kerry Blech — Victory Review)

            --Cindy Writes-----------
            My mother's maiden name is (Frances)
            Zurovetz and grew up around the Granger-Taylor area of Texas. Her
            mother was a (Frances)Kubala. My family is having a surprise 80th
            birthday for my mother next month

            Does anyone know where I can find
            recorded Texas Czech Polka music on CD in the Dallas area?
            Cindy

            .
          • Lidia
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 21, 2003
              Welcome Cindy to the group. My Dad is 84 & still mowing with the riding
              mower! I told him I pray I have the energy & stamina he does when I reach
              that age! I'm excited to try the cd that was recommended on the group, I
              want to surprise my Dad! Lidia Kellum
              Researching Hovezak, Shramek, Sramek, Janecek

            • Andikat@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2003
                Hi.  I just joined today and wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Andrea Novak.  I'm 41 and half Czech.  My father, James A. Novak, is 100% Czech.  He is 74.  While I don't know a lot about the family background, I believe my great-grandparents came over from Czechoslavakia with my grandparents settling in Shiner, Texas.  I live just north of Austin but work in Austin for the State.

                I look forward to being in the group and participating as time allows :-)

                Andrea Novak
                Texas
              • miladyolga@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
                  Welcome to the group.  You mentioned your grandparents, what are their names and also your grandmother's maiden name.  I have Novak's who married into the family.  He married a Fojtik.
                  Debra
                • Andikat@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
                    My grandmother's maiden name was "Krupala".  I believe it was spelled "Krupalla" somewhere along the line but one of the letter "l"s was dropped.  Her name was Johanna but she was called Janie.  She was born in 1897 and passed away in 1995.  My grandfather's name was (I think) Anton Willie Novak.  He died in 1960.

                    ANDREA

                    In a message dated 10/5/03 11:38:53 AM Central Daylight Time, miladyolga@... writes:

                    Welcome to the group.  You mentioned your grandparents, what are their names and also your grandmother's maiden name.  I have Novak's who married into the family.  He married a Fojtik.
                    Debra

                  • Debra Zwahr
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
                      From David Zwahr:
                          My Great grandmother was a Quitta.  Annie Eva Quitta, who married a German named Budewig, who married a German named Zwahr.  We have several Czechs who married into various relatives in the family.  Some of the names are Petrusek, Sebesta.  I have over 3600 people in the computer on both my wifes
                      Anglo-Saxon names and my mothers Scotch-Irish.  My fathers side of the family is either German or Czech.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 26, 2013

                        My father's family is Czech (Moravian). My great, great grandfather settled in Caldwell, TX (thereabouts). He arrived in New York from Bremen Germany on October 29, 1880 with two sisters and two brothers. They had been orphaned. They were “adopted” out to separate families, but were lucky enough to all stay in the same area and keep in contact with one another. We've not been able to ascertain how they got from New York to Texas, but we suspect the orphan train. Does anyone have any information on how to research the orphan trains?

                      • hankn34
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 27, 2013

                          Diane,

                          My grandmother's maiden name was spelled Matyas. Born in Koberice u Brna. In my research the name was spelled in many different ways. The point being as you do your research immigration officials not accustomed to Eastern European Slavic names would record the name as they thought it should be spelled according to the English language. A couple other research tid-bits: I've also found the family name in Slovakia, secondly, Koberice in just a few hours drive from northern Austria and many Moravians from southern Moravia moved where they could find work - added to this is that the Czechoslovakian boundry between Austria was only established in 1918, thirdly the Matyas name was spelled many ways in the early church records as records were mostly recorded in Latin or German as such the name appeared in many forms, and finally at the time when our ancestors immigrated the Czech lands was under the rule of the Austrian empire and thus almost all documents, immigration and citizenship, listed Austria or Austria-Hungary as the country from which they left. My Matyas ancestral lineage dates back to the  early 1700s as living in the Koberice and surrounding villages. I've probably listed several point of which you may have already been aware, but not knowing this I offer my experience in researching my ancestors.

                          ---In texasczechs@yahoogroups.com, <chad3006@...> wrote:

                          My father's family is Czech (Moravian). My great, great grandfather settled in Caldwell, TX (thereabouts). He arrived in New York from Bremen Germany on October 29, 1880 with two sisters and two brothers. They had been orphaned. They were “adopted” out to separate families, but were lucky enough to all stay in the same area and keep in contact with one another. We've not been able to ascertain how they got from New York to Texas, but we suspect the orphan train. Does anyone have any information on how to research the orphan trains?

                        • Tricia Burt
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 11
                            My name is Patricia Janecek Burt. I was born & raised in Ganado, TX.  My great grandfather changed the family name from Janecka to Janecek when he came to America.  My hobbies are photography & genealogy. My granddaughter Vanessa is my pride & joy. I am interested in learning more about my Janecka ancestors. I read a post that talked about my great grandfather Alois & his brother Joseph Janecka. Peggy Sumbera Lowrey had posted it in Jan. 2001. She mentioned that their mother Katarina Mikulik Janecka had come to America before the young men did with her new husband - name unknown. His last name may have been Mazera or Micha. She may have married a 3rd time to one or the other of these names and lived near Lavaca County. I would like to know more on this as I had never heard this before. I would like to know where she is buried.

                            You don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing. Laughter is good medicine!!  "
                            "Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much"
                            If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under.'-Ronald Reagan