Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: info (Jalufka)

  • Joe Garrison
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003

      Hi Joshua,

      I am a Jalufka. I have found my family all the way back to Mnisi, Moravia.

      I will get all my info together and see if I can help you.

      Myrna (Jalufka)

      Thank you,
      Myrna (Jalufka) Garrison
      Researching: Jaluvka, Olsovsky, Stavinoha, Atkinson, Holland, Taylor, Powhatten, Hamilton

      >From: "Laura Petter Pilgrim"
      >To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [TexasCzechs] Re: info (Jalufka)
      >Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:08:15 -0000
      >
      > "Joshue J." wrote:
      > > Hello all my last name is Jalufka and i am looking for history on
      > > the "Jalufka" name
      >
      >Hi Joshue, If you will type JALUFKA in the search window on the
      >TexasCzechs homepage at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/texasczechs/
      >you will find a number of messages discussing the surname, including
      >one of your own earlier requests and one of my messages, plus photos
      >of the Jalufka House in Corpus Christi in the Photos section submitted
      >by Susan Rektorik Henley. Several of our TexasCzech members have
      >Jalufka connections.
      >
      >My own connection is through marriage of a paternal uncle (deceased),
      >Otto Petter, who married Virginia Mae Jalufka, daughter of Julius
      >George Jalufka and Mary Ann Pustjovsky. Julius George Jalufka was
      >the son of Ignac E. Jalufka and Agnes Holub. I believe Ignac and
      >Agnes Julufka are ancestors in Susan R. Henleys family tree also.
      >
      >Ignac Jalufka and Jakob Holub (who was the great grandfather of my
      >aunt Virgina's grandmother, Agnes Holub Jalufka) came to Lavaca Co.,
      >TX from Moravia, Empire of Austria (now C.R.) in 1874. There is a
      >short writeup about the old Moravia General store in Moravia, TX at:
      >http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/ The store was origianlly
      >built by Ignac Jalufka. It was also a saloon and a post office, and
      >Mr. Jalufka was the Postmaster until he died in 1920.
      >
      >For additional links you might also go to http://www.Google.com and
      >type "JALUFKA +genealogy" or "JALUFKA +history" into the search
      >window, if you haven't already. And of course there are many other
      >genealogical research websites on the internet, such as the LDS,
      >Cyndi's, Ancestry.com, Roots Web, etc. Try them all. Good luck!
      >
      >Lolly Pilgrim
      >Houston, TX

      MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month.
    • Laura Petter Pilgrim
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2003
        FayeLee39@a... wrote:

        > Re: the JALUFKA question:
        >
        > Lollie the information that you provided on Jalufka is very
        valuable
        to me. Your mention of Jakob Holub perked my ears. Jakob is
        > my Great Great Grandfather.
        > If you have any other information I would be beholding to you to
        get
        it.

        > Cullis Holub

        Hi Cullis. Welcome to the Group!
        I really don't have any other information about Jacob Holub at this
        time as I haven't researched that line yet. If I come up with
        something I surely will share it. You will probably find more
        information through "The Texas Czech Storyteller" webpage by browsing
        the articles and stories by Susan Henley. There are many Czech
        surnames mentioned throughout, but no search engine, so you will need
        to just browse. It will be well worth your time, as she is a
        wonderful storyteller and researcher.

        To help you locate the article about the Moravia General Store,
        first go to "The Texas Czech Storyteller" website at:
        http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/ and scroll down to
        "Pertinent Historical Markers" and click on "Lavaca County".
        Then scroll down to "Moravia General Store".

        Have you tried the archive search window for the TexasCzech Group?
        I made to Joshue? Queries placed on the many message boards available
        are a great way to "find" relatives. That is how 2nd cousin, Ray J.
        Bacak (of this E-group), and I found each other. Hi Ray!

        It seems you share a great grandfather with my Aunt Virginia Petter
        in El Campo, TX. If you would like her phone no. and address, let me
        know by private e-mail and I will be happy to give it to you. She
        may
        not know anything beyond her grandparents, but she is fun to talk to,
        and perhaps she can give you some names of other relatives who may
        know something. Good luck!

        Lolly Pilgrim
        Houston, TX
      • rebellous_99
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2003
          Cullis,

          You might try contacting Leroy Janda of this group, too, as I believe
          he is researching the Hollub name because of their connection to the
          Matula family. I might also add that the obituary for Frances Hollub
          Hajek (daughter of J.M. Hollub and Johanna Matula) and for Johanna
          Matula Hollub are located in the Texas Czechs Obituaries section of
          the following site under 'H':

          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~alvarez/

          There is also a lot of information on the Hollub family in the book
          The Czech Pioneers of the Southwest by the late Henry R. Maresh,
          originally published in 1934.

          Matt
        • FayeLee39@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2003
            Thanks Matt for the info. I have been in personal contact with Leroy and he
            has given me the complete Matula line and the interface with the Holub's. I
            will surely look at the other information you have provided.

            Regards,

            Cullis

            researching: Holub, Jurena, Bludau, Pechacek