Jalufka, Hollub, Holub

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi,

      I am Susan Rektorik Henley. My grandfather was Alois (Louis) Rektorik, one of the sons of Frantisek (Frank) and Maria (Matous) Rektorik. My great Uncle, Jan (John) Rektorik married Agnes Jalufka, a daughter of Ignatz Jalufka and Agnes Holub Jalufka. Frank Rektorik and Ignatz Jalufka were running buddies back in Moravia, Lavaca County. Uncle John worked as a bartender in the Jalulfa store in Moravia after he married Miss Agnes (until this occupation lead to martial strife as Agnes had learned and accepted the concept of "temperance" while attending the Women's Academy at Baylor. In 1907, I. Jalufka and F. Rektorik came by train from Moravia to rural Nueces County to establish their young adult children. Adjacent farmland was purchased for John and Agnes (Jalufka) Rektorik and my Grandpa and his first wife, Johana Hrncirova. Uncle John and my Grandpa were close friends until death parted them--although the Sr. Jalufka and Uncle John and Aunt Agnes moved to the community of Violet, Nueces County, Texas, where they established a cotton gin. There are still Jalufkas in Violet.

      John Lewis, a grandson of Agnes Jalufka Rektorik, has generously shared with many stories and some of her personal keepsakes. I have uploaded photos from her circa 1900 "Friendship Album" on pages of the Texas Czech Storyteller Website. In addition, a historical novelette of the early years of the Jalufka-Rektorik relationships can be found on that website too.

      Links are as follows:

      The John and Louis Rektorik Family Story with Wedding photos--

      Agnes Jalufka Rektorik's Friendship Album-- (I am still having problems with photo file size and photos opening on this section--sorry). Here you will find messages signed by her friends and relatives of which some are named Jalufka, Holub, and Hollub.

      A Fictionalized Account of the circumstances of Agnes Jalufka and my Rektorik relatives--

      If the links won't work, go to the index page and scroll down to the hyperlinks and double-click to access the material.

      Texas Czech Storyteller--Index page-- http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/

      Over the years, I have collected other info on the Jalufkas and Moravia, Lavaca County, Texas.

      Susan