Can someone translate Antonin to English?

  • Roland Beausoleil
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi everybody,

      Could someone translate the name Antonin from Czech to English? I
      came across it recently on Lois Petter Pereira's index to the book
      'Emigration to Texas from the Mistek District Between 1856 and 1900'
      under the Petr Chylek family that emigrated in 1881 from Kozlovice to
      America. So far I've never seen this name associated with this family.
      The 1900 US census shows the following people in this family:

      1900 U.S. census information - Census was for Justice Precint #6,
      Yoakum, Dewitt county, Texas, and was taken Jul 20, 1900. I have a copy
      of this page. Peter was born in Feb 1847 and was 53 years old. He was
      married for 30 years. He was born in Bohemia as were both of his
      parents. Peter, Julia, and their 2 oldest children; Valentine and John,
      all came to the U.S. in 1882. The census indicates that he had filed for
      his citizenship papers but wasn't a citizen yet. He was a farmer and
      owned his farm. Peter could read and write but counln't speak English.
      At the time of the census, Peter's wife Julia and their children
      Valentine, John, Barbara, Verona, Fritz, Gustav, Julia, Anna, Francis,
      Louis and Adolph lived with him.

      Since the emigration record showed that Antonin was born in 1874 he
      was about 26 at the time of the 1900 census so probably had left home
      already but I still haven't seen any trace of him anywhere in Texas.

      Thanks for your help.

      Roland Beausoleil
    • sirjohn
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
        Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 12:45 PM
        Subject: [TexasCzechs] Can someone translate Antonin to English?

        Roland,

        The Hippocrence Concise Dictionary Cech-English and English-Czech shows Antonin is Anthony in English.

        Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
      • Frances Kay Nelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
          Easy,
          Antonin is Anthon or Anthony
          Kay

          Roland Beausoleil <rbeausoleil@...> wrote:
[...]

           Galatians 2:20 "I am crufified with Christ; nevertheless I live; ye not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son of God, who love me, and gave Himself for me."

        • Roland Beausoleil
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
            Sir John and Kay,

            Thanks for the info.

            Roland Beausoleil

            Re: [TexasCzechs] Can someone translate Antonin to English?
            Date:
            Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:44:29 -0700 (PDT)
            From:
            Frances Kay Nelson <texasczech2000@...>

> [...]