Re: info (Jalufka)

  • Laura Petter Pilgrim
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
      "Joshue J." <rebelred72@y...> wrote:
      > Hello all my last name is Jalufka and i am looking for history on
      > the "Jalufka" name

      Hi Joshue, If you will type JALUFKA in the search window on the
      TexasCzechs homepage at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/texasczechs/
      you will find a number of messages discussing the surname, including
      one of your own earlier requests and one of my messages, plus photos
      of the Jalufka House in Corpus Christi in the Photos section submitted
      by Susan Rektorik Henley. Several of our TexasCzech members have
      Jalufka connections.

      My own connection is through marriage of a paternal uncle (deceased),
      Otto Petter, who married Virginia Mae Jalufka, daughter of Julius
      George Jalufka and Mary Ann Pustjovsky. Julius George Jalufka was
      the son of Ignac E. Jalufka and Agnes Holub. I believe Ignac and
      Agnes Julufka are ancestors in Susan R. Henleys family tree also.

      Ignac Jalufka and Jakob Holub (who was the great grandfather of my
      aunt Virgina's grandmother, Agnes Holub Jalufka) came to Lavaca Co.,
      TX from Moravia, Empire of Austria (now C.R.) in 1874. There is a
      short writeup about the old Moravia General store in Moravia, TX at:
      http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/ The store was origianlly
      built by Ignac Jalufka. It was also a saloon and a post office, and
      Mr. Jalufka was the Postmaster until he died in 1920.

      For additional links you might also go to http://www.Google.com and
      type "JALUFKA +genealogy" or "JALUFKA +history" into the search
      window, if you haven't already. And of course there are many other
      genealogical research websites on the internet, such as the LDS,
      Cyndi's, Ancestry.com, Roots Web, etc. Try them all. Good luck!

      Lolly Pilgrim
      Houston, TX
    • FayeLee39@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
        In a message dated 9/1/03 6:09:58 PM, lollie@... writes:

        << http://www.Google.com >>

        Re: the JALUFKA question:

        Lollie the information that you provided on Jalufka is very valuable to me.
        I'm new to the Texas Czech group (San Antonio) and just have been previewing
        information and noting some comments. I've started into the genealogy of the
        Holub (Hollub) family. Your mention of Jakob Holub perked my ears. Jakob is
        my Great Great Grandfather. He came over from Moravia Austria in 1855 thru the
        port of New York and moved into Iowa for a number of years before me decided
        to move to Lavaca county, Texas. Both him and his son-in-law Ignac Jalufka
        founded and started the settlement of Moravia Texas ( named for their wonderful
        country of Moravia CR.) I will review the information in that StoryTellers
        sight more.
        If you have any other information I would be beholding to you to get it. My
        e-mail is
        FayeLee39@...

        Thanks alot.

        Cullis Holub
      • Joe Garrison
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003

          Hi Joshua,

          I am a Jalufka. I have found my family all the way back to Mnisi, Moravia.

          I will get all my info together and see if I can help you.

          Myrna (Jalufka)

          Thank you,
          Myrna (Jalufka) Garrison
          Researching: Jaluvka, Olsovsky, Stavinoha, Atkinson, Holland, Taylor, Powhatten, Hamilton

          >From: "Laura Petter Pilgrim"
          >To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [TexasCzechs] Re: info (Jalufka)
          >Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:08:15 -0000
          >
          > "Joshue J." wrote:
          > > Hello all my last name is Jalufka and i am looking for history on
          > > the "Jalufka" name
          >
          >Hi Joshue, If you will type JALUFKA in the search window on the
          >TexasCzechs homepage at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/texasczechs/
          >you will find a number of messages discussing the surname, including
          >one of your own earlier requests and one of my messages, plus photos
          >of the Jalufka House in Corpus Christi in the Photos section submitted
          >by Susan Rektorik Henley. Several of our TexasCzech members have
          >Jalufka connections.
          >
          >My own connection is through marriage of a paternal uncle (deceased),
          >Otto Petter, who married Virginia Mae Jalufka, daughter of Julius
          >George Jalufka and Mary Ann Pustjovsky. Julius George Jalufka was
          >the son of Ignac E. Jalufka and Agnes Holub. I believe Ignac and
          >Agnes Julufka are ancestors in Susan R. Henleys family tree also.
          >
          >Ignac Jalufka and Jakob Holub (who was the great grandfather of my
          >aunt Virgina's grandmother, Agnes Holub Jalufka) came to Lavaca Co.,
          >TX from Moravia, Empire of Austria (now C.R.) in 1874. There is a
          >short writeup about the old Moravia General store in Moravia, TX at:
          >http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/ The store was origianlly
          >built by Ignac Jalufka. It was also a saloon and a post office, and
          >Mr. Jalufka was the Postmaster until he died in 1920.
          >
          >For additional links you might also go to http://www.Google.com and
          >type "JALUFKA +genealogy" or "JALUFKA +history" into the search
          >window, if you haven't already. And of course there are many other
          >genealogical research websites on the internet, such as the LDS,
          >Cyndi's, Ancestry.com, Roots Web, etc. Try them all. Good luck!
          >
          >Lolly Pilgrim
          >Houston, TX

          MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month.
        • Laura Petter Pilgrim
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2003
            FayeLee39@a... wrote:

            > Re: the JALUFKA question:
            >
            > Lollie the information that you provided on Jalufka is very
            valuable
            to me. Your mention of Jakob Holub perked my ears. Jakob is
            > my Great Great Grandfather.
            > If you have any other information I would be beholding to you to
            get
            it.

            > Cullis Holub

            Hi Cullis. Welcome to the Group!
            I really don't have any other information about Jacob Holub at this
            time as I haven't researched that line yet. If I come up with
            something I surely will share it. You will probably find more
            information through "The Texas Czech Storyteller" webpage by browsing
            the articles and stories by Susan Henley. There are many Czech
            surnames mentioned throughout, but no search engine, so you will need
            to just browse. It will be well worth your time, as she is a
            wonderful storyteller and researcher.

            To help you locate the article about the Moravia General Store,
            first go to "The Texas Czech Storyteller" website at:
            http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/ and scroll down to
            "Pertinent Historical Markers" and click on "Lavaca County".
            Then scroll down to "Moravia General Store".

            Have you tried the archive search window for the TexasCzech Group?
            I made to Joshue? Queries placed on the many message boards available
            are a great way to "find" relatives. That is how 2nd cousin, Ray J.
            Bacak (of this E-group), and I found each other. Hi Ray!

            It seems you share a great grandfather with my Aunt Virginia Petter
            in El Campo, TX. If you would like her phone no. and address, let me
            know by private e-mail and I will be happy to give it to you. She
            may
            not know anything beyond her grandparents, but she is fun to talk to,
            and perhaps she can give you some names of other relatives who may
            know something. Good luck!

            Lolly Pilgrim
            Houston, TX
          • rebellous_99
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2003
              Cullis,

              You might try contacting Leroy Janda of this group, too, as I believe
              he is researching the Hollub name because of their connection to the
              Matula family. I might also add that the obituary for Frances Hollub
              Hajek (daughter of J.M. Hollub and Johanna Matula) and for Johanna
              Matula Hollub are located in the Texas Czechs Obituaries section of
              the following site under 'H':

              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~alvarez/

              There is also a lot of information on the Hollub family in the book
              The Czech Pioneers of the Southwest by the late Henry R. Maresh,
              originally published in 1934.

              Matt
            • FayeLee39@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2003
                Thanks Matt for the info. I have been in personal contact with Leroy and he
                has given me the complete Matula line and the interface with the Holub's. I
                will surely look at the other information you have provided.

                Regards,

                Cullis

                researching: Holub, Jurena, Bludau, Pechacek