Re: [TexasCzechs] Family Research (Rohan)

  • Ron Rohan
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
      Richard,
      Thank you for all the info.
      This information is from Leo Baca's passenger list:
      Franz Rohan 26, Austria; Nurnberg, 11 Nov 1880; Galveston
      So I guess the ships name is the Nurnberg.
      Thanx,
      ron rohan

      richardgarza1@... wrote:
      Hi Ron & Billy,
              Attached is a scan of the Rohan coat of arms (b&W) that comes
      from Volume 1 of Jan Halada's Encyclopaedia of Czech Heraldry, pp.
      127-128, as well as a .jpg of same I found on the web.
              There appear to be about 7 Sychrovs in the C.R. The book's
      description of the family appears to describe the Sychrov in North
      Bohemia in the County (okres) of Semily, not far from Hradec Kralove. The
      castle has been restored and is a popular tourist site.
              Your nephew's info is quite accurate. Rather than retype what is
      in my book (all in Czech), I'll direct you to visit the Wikipedia
      description of the Rohans on the web at: http://www.wikipedia.org and
      enter "Rohan" (without the quote marks) to see the description of Rene
      Edouard. It appears Rene Edward was a cardinal, prince & archbishop.
      There is also a website with genealogy of the family at:
      http://nebesky.tripod.com/rohan/gie.html
              If you use the ShtetlSeeker at the Jewish Genealogy.org website,
      limit the search to the C.R., and you will get the only town listing for
      Radhost:
              There is a ton of info (most in Czech) when you do a Google
      search on the name "Rohanov�."
              Ron, can you tell us the name of the ship on which Frantisek
      Rohan traveled to Galveston?

      Rick Garza
      Sharing. It's what it's all about!
      http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

      On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:47:50 -0700 (PDT) Ron Rohan <rfrohan@...>
      writes:

      Frantisek (Franz, Frank) Rohan was born December 16, 1854 in the Austrian
      Empire (Czech) and died December 18, 1928 in Fayette County, Texas. He is
      buried at Hostyn Catholic Cemetery. He married Marie Sablatura about 1879
      in Austrian Empire, daughter of Frank Sablatura.

      He is listed in the Czech Immigrants Ship List as having arrived in Port
      of Galveston November 11, 1880.

      My brick wall is that I cannot find out who his parents were. I cannot
      find out which privince or village he immigrated from. I do have family
      information written by a great aunt, daughter of Frantisek. According to
      Rosallie Rohan, "One of the Rohan ancesters from a noble family moved
      from France to Bohemia. Here he secured a large acreage and built a
      castle... From my nephew I learned that only one Rohan settled in that
      country which makes our lineage more positive as being our ancestors...
      My father told me the story of how he was able to come to the United
      States. My father's uncle was an archbishop of the Catholic Church in
      that country and was quite well-to-do financially, before he died, he had
      it so planned that the interest from his money be placed in trust for his
      nephews and nieces as wedding presents even to the next generation.
      After receiving the money, my father used his share to come to the United
      States. My father was born December 16, 1854 in the town of Radhost."

      My problem is there are several regions with towns named Radhost, and I
      cannot find the records because of a language barrier.

      I also heard the story about Henry Luis Marie Rohan, who was the first
      Rohan to settle in Czech. He had three sons, Karel Alain, Lewis Meriadek
      Victor, and Julius Armand. Karel Alain was the founder of the Sychrov.
      Reconstruction was continued by Prince Kamil Rohan (1800-1892). Could
      Prince Kamil Rohan have been the Uncle?

      If anyone can help determine the lineage of Frantisek Rohan, I would
      greatly appreciate it. I do have the descendants of Frantisek and Marie
      Sablatura if you should need that information.  Thank you, Ron Rohan

      > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif name=zn_Rohan_476x424.gif

      > ATTACHMENT part 3 image/jpeg name=zn_rohanove.jpg

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Frances Kay Nelson
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
        Believe it or not, that's the same ship, and date that my Grandfather Joseph Krizan and his mother, Anna Krizan came into Galveston. Small world,
        Kay

      • richardgarza1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
          Hi Kay,
          Thanks for sharing. Please, would you tell us what village your
          Josef & Anna Krizan came from? Reason I ask is that the immigrants
          usually traveled in groups, often from the same village or district and
          this may give Ron a clue as to an area in the Czech Republic to research.

          Yes, it is a small world and getting smaller.<g>

          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

          Ron Rohan <rfrohan> wrote:
          Richard,
          Thank you for all the info.
          This information is from Leo Baca's passenger list:
          Franz Rohan 26, Austria; Nurnberg, 11 Nov 1880; Galveston
          So I guess the ships name is the Nurnberg.
          Thanx,
          ron rohan
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          richardgarza1 wrote:

          .

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Steve Alvarez
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
            He came in on the same ship my GG grandfather did.  Except it was New Orleans not Galveston.

            Steve

            richardgarza1@... wrote:
[...]
            search on the name "Rohanové."

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
              My ancestors came from the village of Hodslavice in Moravia, CZH. There were over 300 on that ship from the same region.
              Kay

              Ron Rohan <rfrohan> wrote:
              Richard,
              Thank you for all the info.
              This information is from Leo Baca's passenger list:
              Franz Rohan 26, Austria; Nurnberg, 11 Nov 1880; Galveston
              So I guess the ships name is the Nurnberg.
              Thanx,
              ron rohan
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              richardgarza1 wrote:

              .

               Galatians 2:20 "I am crufified with Christ; nevertheless I live; ye not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son of God, who love me, and gave Himself for me."

            • Ron Rohan
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 3, 2003
                The listing was in Leo's New Orleans lists but it stated Galveston as the port of entry. I guess it went to New Orleans first, then to Galveston.
                Ron Rohan

              • salvarez@pcai.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 3, 2003
                  Have you found a Galveston ship mansfest for them.
                  I have the New Orleans mansfest, but not the Galveston, I would
                  be interested in getting the Galveston mansfest exists.

                  Steve