Re: [TexasCzechs] Family Research (Rohan)

  • Billy Macek
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 29, 2003
      Hi Ron-

      My mother-in-law's father was Henry Rohan who was also buried at Hostyn Cemetery around 1934.  I do know her sister, Gloria Rohan Hoop, did some work on a book about the Rohan's and describes the story.  I will get the book and see if I can find some answers for you.

      Billy Macek
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
        A while back, Darlene Baker posted a website about nobility in Cz.  It was rather comprehensive.   Since it didn't apply to me and mine, I read most of it with interest and then hit the delete button.  Perhaps Darlene would be so kind as to repost the message and link?

        George of Austin

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
          Ron-

          I have my mother in law and her sister working hard to help you find the information you are seeking.
          What was your father's and mother's name?

          Billy

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
            Ron,

            You might try getting in contact with Lois Petter Pereira of this
            group. I'm not sure of her e-mail address, but I did a search for
            your ancestors on Rootsweb World Connect and found her listed as a
            source of someone else's research.

            Matt

          • richardgarza1@juno.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
              Hi Ron & Billy,
              Attached is a scan of the Rohan coat of arms (b&W) that comes
              from Volume 1 of Jan Halada's Encyclopaedia of Czech Heraldry, pp.
              127-128, as well as a .jpg of same I found on the web.
              There appear to be about 7 Sychrovs in the C.R. The book's
              description of the family appears to describe the Sychrov in North
              Bohemia in the County (okres) of Semily, not far from Hradec Kralove. The
              castle has been restored and is a popular tourist site.
              Your nephew's info is quite accurate. Rather than retype what is
              in my book (all in Czech), I'll direct you to visit the Wikipedia
              description of the Rohans on the web at: http://www.wikipedia.org and
              enter "Rohan" (without the quote marks) to see the description of Rene
              Edouard. It appears Rene Edward was a cardinal, prince & archbishop.
              There is also a website with genealogy of the family at:
              http://nebesky.tripod.com/rohan/gie.html
              If you use the ShtetlSeeker at the Jewish Genealogy.org website,
              limit the search to the C.R., and you will get the only town listing for
              Radhost:
              There is a ton of info (most in Czech) when you do a Google
              search on the name "Rohanov�."
              Ron, can you tell us the name of the ship on which Frantisek
              Rohan traveled to Galveston?

              Rick Garza
              Sharing. It's what it's all about!
              http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
                Ron,
                Yes, Lois Petter Pereira has done extensive research, including
                the Rohan name. The following listing comes from my website where Lois'
                genealogy is posted through the Family Genealogies listing (see below).
                Rick Garza
                Sharing. It's what it's all about!
                http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/Gedcoms.html

                ROHAN, ? -
                ROHAN, ? -
                ROHAN, ? -
                ROHAN, Alma Vlasta b.1917 -
                ROHAN, Anna b.1894 - Ammansville, Fayette, TX.
                ROHAN, Annie Agnes b.1914 -
                ROHAN, Bedrich A. b.1887 - , , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Bessie Isabella b.1925 -
                ROHAN, Beverly Jo b.1941 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, Brian Keith b.1965 -
                ROHAN, Clarence b.1931 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, Constantina b.1900 - , , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Cynthia Ann b.1943 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, Daniel Joseph b.1929 -
                ROHAN, Dawn b.1971 -
                ROHAN, Dennis Ivan b.1946 - Fort Bend Co, Tx.
                ROHAN, Don Henry b.1940 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, Eleonora b.1890 - , , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Emil Edmund b.1916 -
                ROHAN, Emilia b.1885 - , , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Emma b.1891 - , , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Estella Mary b.1920 -
                ROHAN, Ferd J. b.1891 - Ammansville, , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Filomena b.1898 - Ammansville, , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Frank b.1854 - , , , Boh
                ROHAN, Frank Paul b.1915 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, Gail Catherine b.1952 -
                ROHAN, Gloria Mae b.1933 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, Heinrich Fred b.1907 -
                ROHAN, Ivan H. b.1912 -
                ROHAN, Jan b.1884 - , , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Jean Elaine b.1941 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, John David -
                ROHAN, John F. b.1922 - Schulenburg, Tx.
                ROHAN, Joseph F. b.1910 -
                ROHAN, Joseph F. b.1882 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, Leroy Emil b.1943 - Bexar, TX.
                ROHAN, Leslie Wayne b.1947 - Bexar, TX.
                ROHAN, Marcella b.1894 - Ammansville, Fayette, TX.
                ROHAN, Marie b.1888 - , , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Mary Lee b.1908 - O'Quin, , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Mildred Annie b.1918 -
                ROHAN, Milton Jerome b.1924 -
                ROHAN, Raymond b.1910 -
                ROHAN, Richard Alan b.1963 -
                ROHAN, Robert Leon b.1919 -
                ROHAN, Ronald Frank b.1946 - La Grange, Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, Rosalie Augene b.1896 - , , Tx, US
                ROHAN, Rosina b.1895 -
                ROHAN, Sherry Lynn b.1962 -
                ROHAN, Steve Kenneth b.1949 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                ROHAN, Susan Renee b.1974 -
                ROHAN, Trae b.1973 -
                ROHAN, Xan b.1969 -

                writes:
                Hi all,
                I have been doing family research on Rohan for a few years and always run
                up against the same brick wall. Any help from ya'll would be greatly
                appreciated.

                Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
              • Ron Rohan
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
                  Richard,
                  Thank you for all the info.
                  This information is from Leo Baca's passenger list:
                  Franz Rohan 26, Austria; Nurnberg, 11 Nov 1880; Galveston
                  So I guess the ships name is the Nurnberg.
                  Thanx,
                  ron rohan

                  writes:

                  Frantisek (Franz, Frank) Rohan was born December 16, 1854 in the Austrian
                  Empire (Czech) and died December 18, 1928 in Fayette County, Texas. He is
                  buried at Hostyn Catholic Cemetery. He married Marie Sablatura about 1879
                  in Austrian Empire, daughter of Frank Sablatura.

                  He is listed in the Czech Immigrants Ship List as having arrived in Port
                  of Galveston November 11, 1880.

                  My brick wall is that I cannot find out who his parents were. I cannot
                  find out which privince or village he immigrated from. I do have family
                  information written by a great aunt, daughter of Frantisek. According to
                  Rosallie Rohan, "One of the Rohan ancesters from a noble family moved
                  from France to Bohemia. Here he secured a large acreage and built a
                  castle... From my nephew I learned that only one Rohan settled in that
                  country which makes our lineage more positive as being our ancestors...
                  My father told me the story of how he was able to come to the United
                  States. My father's uncle was an archbishop of the Catholic Church in
                  that country and was quite well-to-do financially, before he died, he had
                  it so planned that the interest from his money be placed in trust for his
                  nephews and nieces as wedding presents even to the next generation.
                  After receiving the money, my father used his share to come to the United
                  States. My father was born December 16, 1854 in the town of Radhost."

                  My problem is there are several regions with towns named Radhost, and I
                  cannot find the records because of a language barrier.

                  I also heard the story about Henry Luis Marie Rohan, who was the first
                  Rohan to settle in Czech. He had three sons, Karel Alain, Lewis Meriadek
                  Victor, and Julius Armand. Karel Alain was the founder of the Sychrov.
                  Reconstruction was continued by Prince Kamil Rohan (1800-1892). Could
                  Prince Kamil Rohan have been the Uncle?

                  If anyone can help determine the lineage of Frantisek Rohan, I would
                  greatly appreciate it. I do have the descendants of Frantisek and Marie
                  Sablatura if you should need that information.  Thank you, Ron Rohan

                  > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif name=zn_Rohan_476x424.gif

                  > ATTACHMENT part 3 image/jpeg name=zn_rohanove.jpg

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • Ron Rohan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
                    Yep, these are all my family here in the US. I am the Ronald Frank Rohan that is listed. The Frank Rohan b. 1854 is my ggrandfather. Wish I could find out who his parents were in CR.
                    ron

                    writes:
                    Hi all,
                    I have been doing family research on Rohan for a few years and always run
                    up against the same brick wall. Any help from ya'll would be greatly
                    appreciated.

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Frances Kay Nelson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 1 12:57 PM
                      Believe it or not, that's the same ship, and date that my Grandfather Joseph Krizan and his mother, Anna Krizan came into Galveston. Small world,
                      Kay

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 1 1:22 PM
                        Hi Kay,
                        Thanks for sharing. Please, would you tell us what village your
                        Josef & Anna Krizan came from? Reason I ask is that the immigrants
                        usually traveled in groups, often from the same village or district and
                        this may give Ron a clue as to an area in the Czech Republic to research.

                        Yes, it is a small world and getting smaller.<g>

                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                        Ron Rohan <rfrohan> wrote:
                        Richard,
                        Thank you for all the info.
                        This information is from Leo Baca's passenger list:
                        Franz Rohan 26, Austria; Nurnberg, 11 Nov 1880; Galveston
                        So I guess the ships name is the Nurnberg.
                        Thanx,
                        ron rohan
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        richardgarza1 wrote:

                        .

                        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                      • Steve Alvarez
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 1 6:43 PM
                          He came in on the same ship my GG grandfather did.  Except it was New Orleans not Galveston.

                          Steve

                          richardgarza1@... wrote:
[...]
                          search on the name "Rohanové."

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 1 7:54 PM
                            My ancestors came from the village of Hodslavice in Moravia, CZH. There were over 300 on that ship from the same region.
                            Kay

                            Ron Rohan <rfrohan> wrote:
                            Richard,
                            Thank you for all the info.
                            This information is from Leo Baca's passenger list:
                            Franz Rohan 26, Austria; Nurnberg, 11 Nov 1880; Galveston
                            So I guess the ships name is the Nurnberg.
                            Thanx,
                            ron rohan
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            richardgarza1 wrote:

                            .

                             Galatians 2:20 "I am crufified with Christ; nevertheless I live; ye not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son of God, who love me, and gave Himself for me."

                          • Ron Rohan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 3 5:43 PM
                              The listing was in Leo's New Orleans lists but it stated Galveston as the port of entry. I guess it went to New Orleans first, then to Galveston.
                              Ron Rohan

                            • salvarez@pcai.net
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 3 6:27 PM
                                Have you found a Galveston ship mansfest for them.
                                I have the New Orleans mansfest, but not the Galveston, I would
                                be interested in getting the Galveston mansfest exists.

                                Steve