Family Research (Rohan)

  • Ron Rohan
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 29, 2003
      Hi all,
      I have been doing family research on Rohan for a few years and always run up against the same brick wall. Any help from ya'll would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I know:
      Frantisek (Franz, Frank) Rohan was born December 16, 1854 in the Austrian Empire (Czech) and died December 18, 1928 in Fayette County, Texas. He is buried at Hostyn Catholic Cemetery. He married Marie Sablatura about 1879 in Austrian Empire, daughter of Frank Sablatura.

      He is listed in the Czech Immigrants Ship List as having arrived in Port of Galveston November 11, 1880.

      My brick wall is that I cannot find out who his parents were. I cannot find out which privince or village he immigrated from. I do have family information written by a great aunt, daughter of Frantisek. According to Rosallie Rohan, "One of the Rohan ancesters from a noble family moved from France to Bohemia. Here he secured a large acreage and built a castle... From my nephew I learned that only one Rohan settled in that country which makes our lineage more positive as being our ancestors... My father told me the story of how he was able to come to the United States. My father's uncle was an archbishop of the Catholic Church in that country and was quite well-to-do financially, before he died, he had it so planned that the interest from his money be placed in trust for his nephews and nieces as wedding presents even to the next generation.  After receiving the money, my father used his share to come to the United States. My father was born December 16, 1854 in the town of Radhost."

      My problem is there are several regions with towns named Radhost, and I cannot find the records because of a language barrier.

      I also heard the story about Henry Luis Marie Rohan, who was the first Rohan to settle in Czech. He had three sons, Karel Alain, Lewis Meriadek Victor, and Julius Armand. Karel Alain was the founder of the Sychrov. Reconstruction was continued by Prince Kamil Rohan (1800-1892). Could Prince Kamil Rohan have been the Uncle?

      If anyone can help determine the lineage of Frantisek Rohan, I would greatly appreciate it. I do have the descendants of Frantisek and Marie Sablatura if you should need that information.  Thank you, Ron Rohan

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Billy Macek
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 29, 2003
        Hi Ron-

        My mother-in-law's father was Henry Rohan who was also buried at Hostyn Cemetery around 1934.  I do know her sister, Gloria Rohan Hoop, did some work on a book about the Rohan's and describes the story.  I will get the book and see if I can find some answers for you.

        Billy Macek

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
          A while back, Darlene Baker posted a website about nobility in Cz.  It was rather comprehensive.   Since it didn't apply to me and mine, I read most of it with interest and then hit the delete button.  Perhaps Darlene would be so kind as to repost the message and link?

          George of Austin

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
            Ron-

            I have my mother in law and her sister working hard to help you find the information you are seeking.
            What was your father's and mother's name?

            Billy

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
              Ron,

              You might try getting in contact with Lois Petter Pereira of this
              group. I'm not sure of her e-mail address, but I did a search for
              your ancestors on Rootsweb World Connect and found her listed as a
              source of someone else's research.

              Matt

            • richardgarza1@juno.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
                Hi Ron & Billy,
                Attached is a scan of the Rohan coat of arms (b&W) that comes
                from Volume 1 of Jan Halada's Encyclopaedia of Czech Heraldry, pp.
                127-128, as well as a .jpg of same I found on the web.
                There appear to be about 7 Sychrovs in the C.R. The book's
                description of the family appears to describe the Sychrov in North
                Bohemia in the County (okres) of Semily, not far from Hradec Kralove. The
                castle has been restored and is a popular tourist site.
                Your nephew's info is quite accurate. Rather than retype what is
                in my book (all in Czech), I'll direct you to visit the Wikipedia
                description of the Rohans on the web at: http://www.wikipedia.org and
                enter "Rohan" (without the quote marks) to see the description of Rene
                Edouard. It appears Rene Edward was a cardinal, prince & archbishop.
                There is also a website with genealogy of the family at:
                http://nebesky.tripod.com/rohan/gie.html
                If you use the ShtetlSeeker at the Jewish Genealogy.org website,
                limit the search to the C.R., and you will get the only town listing for
                Radhost:
                There is a ton of info (most in Czech) when you do a Google
                search on the name "Rohanov�."
                Ron, can you tell us the name of the ship on which Frantisek
                Rohan traveled to Galveston?

                Rick Garza
                Sharing. It's what it's all about!
                http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
                  Ron,
                  Yes, Lois Petter Pereira has done extensive research, including
                  the Rohan name. The following listing comes from my website where Lois'
                  genealogy is posted through the Family Genealogies listing (see below).
                  Rick Garza
                  Sharing. It's what it's all about!
                  http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/Gedcoms.html

                  ROHAN, ? -
                  ROHAN, ? -
                  ROHAN, ? -
                  ROHAN, Alma Vlasta b.1917 -
                  ROHAN, Anna b.1894 - Ammansville, Fayette, TX.
                  ROHAN, Annie Agnes b.1914 -
                  ROHAN, Bedrich A. b.1887 - , , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Bessie Isabella b.1925 -
                  ROHAN, Beverly Jo b.1941 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Brian Keith b.1965 -
                  ROHAN, Clarence b.1931 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Constantina b.1900 - , , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Cynthia Ann b.1943 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Daniel Joseph b.1929 -
                  ROHAN, Dawn b.1971 -
                  ROHAN, Dennis Ivan b.1946 - Fort Bend Co, Tx.
                  ROHAN, Don Henry b.1940 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Eleonora b.1890 - , , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Emil Edmund b.1916 -
                  ROHAN, Emilia b.1885 - , , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Emma b.1891 - , , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Estella Mary b.1920 -
                  ROHAN, Ferd J. b.1891 - Ammansville, , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Filomena b.1898 - Ammansville, , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Frank b.1854 - , , , Boh
                  ROHAN, Frank Paul b.1915 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Gail Catherine b.1952 -
                  ROHAN, Gloria Mae b.1933 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Heinrich Fred b.1907 -
                  ROHAN, Ivan H. b.1912 -
                  ROHAN, Jan b.1884 - , , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Jean Elaine b.1941 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, John David -
                  ROHAN, John F. b.1922 - Schulenburg, Tx.
                  ROHAN, Joseph F. b.1910 -
                  ROHAN, Joseph F. b.1882 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Leroy Emil b.1943 - Bexar, TX.
                  ROHAN, Leslie Wayne b.1947 - Bexar, TX.
                  ROHAN, Marcella b.1894 - Ammansville, Fayette, TX.
                  ROHAN, Marie b.1888 - , , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Mary Lee b.1908 - O'Quin, , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Mildred Annie b.1918 -
                  ROHAN, Milton Jerome b.1924 -
                  ROHAN, Raymond b.1910 -
                  ROHAN, Richard Alan b.1963 -
                  ROHAN, Robert Leon b.1919 -
                  ROHAN, Ronald Frank b.1946 - La Grange, Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Rosalie Augene b.1896 - , , Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Rosina b.1895 -
                  ROHAN, Sherry Lynn b.1962 -
                  ROHAN, Steve Kenneth b.1949 - , Fayette, Tx, US
                  ROHAN, Susan Renee b.1974 -
                  ROHAN, Trae b.1973 -
                  ROHAN, Xan b.1969 -

                  writes:
                  Hi all,
                  I have been doing family research on Rohan for a few years and always run
                  up against the same brick wall. Any help from ya'll would be greatly
                  appreciated.

                  Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                • Ron Rohan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
                    Richard,
                    Thank you for all the info.
                    This information is from Leo Baca's passenger list:
                    Franz Rohan 26, Austria; Nurnberg, 11 Nov 1880; Galveston
                    So I guess the ships name is the Nurnberg.
                    Thanx,
                    ron rohan

                    writes:

                    Frantisek (Franz, Frank) Rohan was born December 16, 1854 in the Austrian
                    Empire (Czech) and died December 18, 1928 in Fayette County, Texas. He is
                    buried at Hostyn Catholic Cemetery. He married Marie Sablatura about 1879
                    in Austrian Empire, daughter of Frank Sablatura.

                    He is listed in the Czech Immigrants Ship List as having arrived in Port
                    of Galveston November 11, 1880.

                    My brick wall is that I cannot find out who his parents were. I cannot
                    find out which privince or village he immigrated from. I do have family
                    information written by a great aunt, daughter of Frantisek. According to
                    Rosallie Rohan, "One of the Rohan ancesters from a noble family moved
                    from France to Bohemia. Here he secured a large acreage and built a
                    castle... From my nephew I learned that only one Rohan settled in that
                    country which makes our lineage more positive as being our ancestors...
                    My father told me the story of how he was able to come to the United
                    States. My father's uncle was an archbishop of the Catholic Church in
                    that country and was quite well-to-do financially, before he died, he had
                    it so planned that the interest from his money be placed in trust for his
                    nephews and nieces as wedding presents even to the next generation.
                    After receiving the money, my father used his share to come to the United
                    States. My father was born December 16, 1854 in the town of Radhost."

                    My problem is there are several regions with towns named Radhost, and I
                    cannot find the records because of a language barrier.

                    I also heard the story about Henry Luis Marie Rohan, who was the first
                    Rohan to settle in Czech. He had three sons, Karel Alain, Lewis Meriadek
                    Victor, and Julius Armand. Karel Alain was the founder of the Sychrov.
                    Reconstruction was continued by Prince Kamil Rohan (1800-1892). Could
                    Prince Kamil Rohan have been the Uncle?

                    If anyone can help determine the lineage of Frantisek Rohan, I would
                    greatly appreciate it. I do have the descendants of Frantisek and Marie
                    Sablatura if you should need that information.  Thank you, Ron Rohan

                    > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif name=zn_Rohan_476x424.gif

                    > ATTACHMENT part 3 image/jpeg name=zn_rohanove.jpg

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Ron Rohan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
                      Yep, these are all my family here in the US. I am the Ronald Frank Rohan that is listed. The Frank Rohan b. 1854 is my ggrandfather. Wish I could find out who his parents were in CR.
                      ron

                      writes:
                      Hi all,
                      I have been doing family research on Rohan for a few years and always run
                      up against the same brick wall. Any help from ya'll would be greatly
                      appreciated.

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • Frances Kay Nelson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
                        Believe it or not, that's the same ship, and date that my Grandfather Joseph Krizan and his mother, Anna Krizan came into Galveston. Small world,
                        Kay

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
                          Hi Kay,
                          Thanks for sharing. Please, would you tell us what village your
                          Josef & Anna Krizan came from? Reason I ask is that the immigrants
                          usually traveled in groups, often from the same village or district and
                          this may give Ron a clue as to an area in the Czech Republic to research.

                          Yes, it is a small world and getting smaller.<g>

                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                          Ron Rohan <rfrohan> wrote:
                          Richard,
                          Thank you for all the info.
                          This information is from Leo Baca's passenger list:
                          Franz Rohan 26, Austria; Nurnberg, 11 Nov 1880; Galveston
                          So I guess the ships name is the Nurnberg.
                          Thanx,
                          ron rohan
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          richardgarza1 wrote:

                          .

                          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                        • Steve Alvarez
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
                            He came in on the same ship my GG grandfather did.  Except it was New Orleans not Galveston.

                            Steve

                            richardgarza1@... wrote:
[...]
                            search on the name "Rohanové."

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
                              My ancestors came from the village of Hodslavice in Moravia, CZH. There were over 300 on that ship from the same region.
                              Kay

                              Ron Rohan <rfrohan> wrote:
                              Richard,
                              Thank you for all the info.
                              This information is from Leo Baca's passenger list:
                              Franz Rohan 26, Austria; Nurnberg, 11 Nov 1880; Galveston
                              So I guess the ships name is the Nurnberg.
                              Thanx,
                              ron rohan
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              richardgarza1 wrote:

                              .

                               Galatians 2:20 "I am crufified with Christ; nevertheless I live; ye not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son of God, who love me, and gave Himself for me."

                            • Ron Rohan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 3, 2003
                                The listing was in Leo's New Orleans lists but it stated Galveston as the port of entry. I guess it went to New Orleans first, then to Galveston.
                                Ron Rohan

                              • salvarez@pcai.net
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 3, 2003
                                  Have you found a Galveston ship mansfest for them.
                                  I have the New Orleans mansfest, but not the Galveston, I would
                                  be interested in getting the Galveston mansfest exists.

                                  Steve