Re: Czech Costume

  • Anita Berka
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2003
      Susan & Rick,

      Thanks for the great info and pix. I don't want to do a Kroj - just don't
      have the time or financial resources currently to do one justice, but I do
      like the Kroj apron idea. Think I could swing that. Guess I need to make a
      run to West and "czech" out Maggie's for samples and findings.

      I met Betty Mills when I was in college and started volunteering with the
      Ranching Heritage Association Texas Tech). I have several Victorian walking
      skirts and Gibson Girl waists that I've made from Ranching Heritage
      Association patterns, so maybe I can slim down the walking skirt pattern to
      make an appropriate skirt. I also like the Lingerie dress idea. I've been
      wanting to make one for years, but never got around to it.

      I have Calico Chronicles too. Got it when it came out and re-read it so
      much, it stays in my bedside table. I know what you mean about those
      patterns from back then. I don't know if I could have figured them out or
      not!

      I've got a Past Patterns catalog too. Have you seen Amazon Drygoods catalog?
      Mine is about 6 years old, but they seem to have a lot of patterns,
      accessories, household goods, etc.

      By the way everyone, the Kolache Festival is scheduled for Sat., Sept. 13,
      in the sleepy metropolis of Caldwell. As far as I know the Czech museum is
      staging their annual Pre-Fest party the Friday night before, so if you can
      make it, come on down!

      Anita Berka

      P. S. Did our great-grandmas wear corsets? The one picture I've got of mine
      sure doesn't look like it. (Smile)

    • Susan Rektorik Henley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2003
        Hi Anita,

        Do you have the Amanda paper doll books? Those have the most wonderful illustrations and they are in color.

        Now whether our ancestors wore corsets or not,  that is an interesting question. I bet the answer is yes and no. I have seen so many photos of young Czech women in "the Gibson Girl" look with the tiny waists. That certain pushed up on top and  flattened out below can only come from a corset--not naturally in my opinion. But, looking at many other photos--especially of older women, their forms sure look too natural for a corset. And, geez I can't imagine trying to pick cotton or haul feed in a corset. It is difficult to even bend over in one! but, I do recall both my mother and grandmother always wearing girdles when they were wearing dress clothes and girdles were the next step in the corset revolution.

        Also, when I make the dresses based on old patterns, they only hang right on me if I wear a corset. I could not get the components so I ordered an Edwardian corset that works well. Even my daughter, who is pencil thin, wears  a corset under her turn of the century costume because the corset creates that "Gibson Girl" Shape.

        When we got our corsets, we realized immediately why women wore "drawers" back then. Since your undergarment is actually laced beneath the corset, the opening at the crotch in the drawers is the only way you can take care of certain bodily functions without getting completely undressed. I still feel rather exposed in the drawers and stockings and now fully understand why they referred to the petticoat as "their modesty."

        What we wear sure has gotten less complex over the last 100 plus years, hasn't it.

        Susan
      • Joe Janecka
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2003
          On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:09:48 -0500, you wrote:

          >Thanks for the great info and pix. I don't want to do a Kroj - just don't
          >have the time or financial resources currently to do one justice, but I do
          >like the Kroj apron idea. Think I could swing that. Guess I need to make a
          >run to West and "czech" out Maggie's for samples and findings.

          Anita,

          You can see some of Maggie's wares at her website:
          http://www.czechcostumecreations.com/index.html

          Cheers,
          Joe
        • george patrick
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2003
            Thanks, Susan,
            Blind folks "see" by developing a mental image of things which are being described or talked about.  I'm not for sure if the mental image I've developed is accurate or not, but, if it is.......!

            Thanks,

            George of Austin

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003

              I am looking for a doll dressed in Moravian costume. My ancestors lived in Mnisi. Would anyone know what the look of that village was?

              Also does there seem to be any ethinic skin, hair, eye color or other features that seem to be dominant from that region.

              I have read about Susan making costumes. I thought perhaps, Susan or some other member could help me find a doll (inexpensive).

              Appreciate it - thanks to all,

              Myrna

              Thank you,
              Myrna (Jalufka) Garrison
              Researching: Jaluvka, Olsovsky, Stavinoha, Atkinson, Holland, Taylor, Powhatten, Hamilton

            • Arthur von Rosenberg
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                Myrna, The Holland surname you are researching; what area of Texas did they live.
                My husband's grandmother was Mary Holland von Rosenberg, I am searching for
                her grandfather Spearman Holland. Waiting to hear from you
                Sincerely, Frances Machu von Rosenberg

                > Thank you,
                >
                > Myrna (Jalufka) Garrison
                >
                > Researching: Jaluvka, Olsovsky, Stavinoha, Atkinson, Holland, Taylor,
                > Powhatten, Hamilton

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > Click Here!

              • Leroy
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                  Frances,

                  My wifes family is mixed in with the Holland surname from the Burnet County area.
                  They know the family well.
                  Leroy

                  Arthur von Rosenberg wrote:

                  > Myrna, The Holland surname you are researching; what area of Texas did they live.
                  > My husband's grandmother was Mary Holland von Rosenberg, I am searching for
                  > her grandfather Spearman Holland. Waiting to hear from you
                  > Sincerely, Frances Machu von Rosenberg
                  > >

                  > > Thank you,
                  > >
                  > > Myrna (Jalufka) Garrison
                  > >
                  > > Researching: Jaluvka, Olsovsky, Stavinoha, Atkinson, Holland, Taylor,
                  > > Powhatten, Hamilton

                  > > The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > > Click Here!

                  > > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less mail.

                • Arthur von Rosenberg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                    Leroy, when you stated they know the family well, did that mean the Mary and
                    Spearman Holland family? Thanks, Frances

                    To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                    From: Leroy <ljanda@...>
                    Date sent: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:03:19 -0500
                    Send reply to: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003

                      My grandmother was Eula Mae Holland Atkinson. She was born in Liberty,  (East) Texas. I believe all her adult life she lived in Karnes County, Texas.  Her father was Joseph Sheffield Holland, he married in Hill County, TX 1902 and died in Houston.  His father was William Marion Holland of Tenn - and Izard Co. AR. (He was a real stinker married 4 times). I have a listing of all his kids by each wife (well maybe if they were by his wives). None of them were named Spearman. He came to AR from Tenn. he was born 1819.  I do not know his parents or siblings.  If you find a connection, please let me know.