Re: [TexasCzechs] Immigrant Database Submissions

  • Patrick Janis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2000
      Here are my ideas on the standards.

      1.  Do not use all capital letters.  Use capital letter for initial letter as customary.

      2.  For dates.  I think is would be best if we used the following format for dates.  This will allow easy searching when sorting by date:

      YYYY-MMM-DD

      So, March 14, 1867 would be listed as :  1867-MAR-14

      If it were sorted by date, all the years for 1867 would be listed next to each other, and within that group, all months of March in 1867 would be listed next to each other.  If you have only the year, just enter the year.  If you have only the year and month, use 1867-MAR with no date.

      3.  EACH immigrant should be listed.  If your great grandfather came with his wife and 9 children, he would get an entry for himself.  His wife would get an entry, and each of his children would get an entry.  For women, list their maiden name in the surname column, then use what ever full name they used after they were married in the full name column.  For example, my great great grandmother, Rosina Fojt Laza would be listed under the surname Fojt, but her full name would be listed as Rosina Fojt Laza.  I think we should stick to the masculine form for the surnames, so instead of Rosina Lazova, use Rosina Laza.  This will keep it simple and yet make it useful.

      We are maxed out on the number of columns available, so that is all we can have.

      I think the real use will be when you sort, for example, by ship name.  When the database is "complete", you will be able to sort by ship name and get a list of all the people on that ship.  You won't necessarily know their relationship to each other, but it will be useful.

      Also, by including the submitter's name and email address, you will allow others to contact you for more details.  We have needed something like this for a long time.  Let't watch it grow.  At last check we were up to 26 entries.  Let's shoot for 1,000 by the end of 2000.

      Thanks,

      Patrick

      p.s.  your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2000
        Lois,

        I think we should stick to those from the area now known as the Czech Republic or Slovak Republic.  If you want, we can set up databases for other nationalities.  Let me know what you think.  It is really easy to set these up, so it is not a problem.

        By the way, I will go into the database myself and reformat all the dates that are currently in the database sometime this week, unless the submitters get to it before me.  Thanks, and keep the comments rolling in.  We are up to 32 sumissions.

        Patrick

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2000
          Another good point made here.  For ships, list them by the name without the designation.  the Bark Jeverland should be listed as "Jeverland" or "Jeverland, Bark".  Again, this will help sort them properly.

          Thanks,

          Patrick

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2000
            No problem, I just didn't want to start putting names that I shouldn't. There were a few Germans in my tree so I will leave those out. Thanks....Lois