Re: [TexasCzechs] Kret Family from Novy Hrozenkov, Moravia?

  • ardisjoyce@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
      If he ever had a Social Security number (you didn't say when he died, you can get a copy of his application for SS which will have his parents name and where he was born.  Also have you looked for a Texas Death Certificate on him.  It should have the same information and sometimes has the actual town they were born in.  Also have you looked for Naturalization papers?  Their application had to have a lot of information.

      The other thing can do, but would take several month, is to send a request to the Archives at Brno to see if they can find a birth record on him in Novy Hrozenkov.  Even if they were Brethren, at that time the births, marriages and deaths had to be registered through the Catholic Church, the official religion of Austria.

      Will be interested in knowing what you find.  When did you say you were going?  You might be able to find some there at the local city hall.

      Good Luck,

      Joyce Ehrenberger
    • Judy Berry
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hello Jeff,

        Although I lack any information you requested, my grandfather's sister,
        Emilie Pospisil, was Frank Joseph Kret's wife. I remember visiting them in
        Cistern. Their daughter, Edith Kret, was very close to my mother.

        Judy Kallus Berry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
          Jeff,
          The Galveston Immigration Database shows a Peter Kret arriving at Galveston
          2-23-1906, evidently alone because no family is shown. He was 40 years of
          age, headed for Flatonia, Texas, Departed Bremen aboard the Brandenberg. He
          was a farmer.

          No other persons with that last name came up on the database?

          The record said he was from Austria.

          Good Luck,

          George of Austin