Once was Prairie--Photos

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hello Again,

      I have set up a photo album on my Texas Czech Storyteller website with photos of the our Coastal Prairie-land farm. This land once was covered with high grass on which bison and antelope ranged. Over time and with the advance of the Spanish and then Mexican frontier, brush was introduced by the roaming cattle. Since then, the human hand has continued to change its face.

      If one reads the accounts of American pioneers as they crossed the great seas that were the American prairies, one will find, time and time again, references to both the strange beauty and overwhelming emptiness of these vast expanses. So it must have been for the original Czech immigrants to Texas. Now, we the farming descendants of those explorers craft the vistas of the cultivated prairies. And, for many of us, the hard winter months are dominated by the great brooding sky, strong, ever-battling north and south winds, and barren earth. Though we have whittled the great seas down to small patches, the images they offer can still be startling--at least to me.

      To following URL will take you directly to the Photo Album:

      Susan