Frances Lamer Janecek

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      Sealy News

      April 1, 2003

      Tribute to a fallen soldier, Joseph Lamer

      Mrs. Frances Lamer Janecek asked me if I would write a column about her
      brother Joseph F. Lamer, who was killed in action in France in 1944.

      Frances Lamer was my classmate for a while at the Sealy School. Later our
      paths crossed a few more times. The times revealed Frances to be a kind
      lady. She married my cousin Wilbur Janecek.

      Patriotism was instilled in me during World War II. Two of my brothers were
      drafted in the U.S. Army, and one brother volunteered in the U.S. Navy.
      During the Korean War, I was drafted into the U.S. Army.

      I developed great respect for the military and our country during World War
      II. What I saw most were Army men and equipment. As a young lad, I had a
      grand view of all military activity. The railroad was two blocks from our
      family home on a hill. A new Highway 36 was built three-fourths of a block
      behind our home.

      The passenger trains carried soldiers to Army bases and ports of
      deportation. Freight trains carried military equipment for training and
      deportation. Convoys of Army trucks did the same. These were the men who
      would keep our country free of dictatorship.

      With a drastic war raging, there were many deaths in foreign countries.
      Reports of military deaths in the county and cities brought great sadness.

      The Sealy News headline read, "Funeral Services For Pfc. Lamer Held Thursday
      morning." The date was Jan. 29, 1946. "Many friends and Legionnaires braved
      the rain, sleet and icy condition of the weather" to pay tribute to a fallen
      soldier returned to Sealy for reinterment. The Rev. James Kveton celebrated
      the Requiem Mass, and the two sermons were delivered, one in English, and
      one in Czech.

      You would think that after all the deaths and destruction of World War II
      that it would have been the last war, but evil countries with evil dictators
      still wage wars. It's sad and disgusting.

      Presently, we are waging war with Iraq. This country is so divided, as is
      the world. The allies our country gave lives to free of Hitler's terror, now
      are against our plan to avoid lots of trouble down the road.

      Seems like the deaths of 3,006 in the World Trade Tower Attack are being
      forgotten. There are those who think that the problems with Iraq can be
      handled by the United Nations. There are those who think if you leave
      dictators alone, they will go away. It's a cruel world we live in today.
      Violence seems to be the menu.

      Where is patriotism today? My patriotism is still intact, as it has always
      been. I love God and Country.

      I salute all military men and women who serve our country. I mourn all those
      who have lost their lives to keep our country free.