Katerina Update

  • FMikula@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2003
      This is just to let all of you know that Katerina's first operation on Monday was very successful, she is fast mending, and in fact looks as if she may leave the hospital tomorrow for about a three week recovery period here in the Dallas area and then the docs start planning the next procedure.

      Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers .. I am seeing the results in front of my eyes!

      Frank

      ORIGINAL MSG SUNDAY MARCH 30th

      From:  FMikula@...
      Date:  Sun Mar 30, 2003  7:11 pm
      Subject:  special Appeal for a special little czech girl

      Dear EGroup Czechers:

      We have here in Dallas a young mother and her 6 year old daughter from the Czech Repbulic. To protect their privacy, etc etc,, I am not going to reveal their names or town of origin, only will say  that the little girl's name is Katerina, or nicknames "Katka" or "Katchenka". Her mother calls her "katchenka" which means little duck or little duckling.

      Katka was born with severe craniofacial bone deformities. As I said, she is 6 and already has had 3 serious operations on her skull in Prague and 2 operations on her right foot. At least three more operations remain, that we know off. These are being done in Dallas by excellent surgeons thru the World Craniofacial Foundation.
      Tomorrow, Monday, March 31st Katchenka is having a 5 hour operation on the base of her skull to repair bone structure.

      On April 18th Katka will be 7 and she is really looking forward to that. Katka and her mother speak no english and know no one in Dallas. I am asking you a very simple thing .. if out of the kindness of your hearts you would send Katka a card or a note or if you have a child or a grandchild approximately Katka's age (6/7) send a little photo with a card or note ....
      encouragement and a little joy and fun is what this little one needs.

      I do not know how long this first hospital stay will be so I will ask you to send cards and notes etc to her at my address... just put

      Katerina
      c/o Mikula's
      7751 La Bolsa
      Dallas, TX 75248-4334

      Here is how our Czech Heritage Society has already helped. A friend of Katka's mother searched the internet for someone in Dallas who speaks czech who could help them out when they got here. This friend found my name on the CHS website and contacted me. I have been interpreting for them on doctor visits, hospital appointments and everything else. It is like the CHS and God have presented me, my  family, and the czech community an opportunity to do "dobrota" , do some good, for some fellow czechs who need not money or anything material, but language help, company, and emotional support. I know you guys out there will do it!

      Dekuju vam tici krat. I thank you a thousand times.

      Frank Mikula

    • FMikula@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2003
        Ilona a Katerina vas tolik dekujou!! Ilona and Katerina thank all of you so much!
        So many of you have sent cards, notes, hand drawings from children in school that they are awed by the kindness of thoughts and prayers from Texas Czechs and from czechs across the United States including Maryland, Utah, and New Hampshire. Ilona was very pleased with several letters written in beautiful czech.

        The first operation performed on March 31st is a success. It was on the bone structure at the base of the skull. It was more than double the normal thickness and was causing pressure on the brain and also on the spinal fluid ... bad things happen when this condition is left uncorrected. A lot of the bone mass was surgically removed and now that problem is fixed. The next step is followup MRI's on April 23rd and a determination whether the next surgery will be on facial bone structure or further cranial bone structure.

        Today I put them on a bus to Houston where they will spend the next 12 days at Eva's home in the Houston metro area. Eva is the longtime friend of Ilona's from Brno. Then they return to Dallas on April 22nd. It is great that the schedule has so worked out that they can have Easter with their friends.

        They will still be here for quite some time in Dallas after they return. If any more of you want to send greeting to Katka remember you may use my address (Katka now thinks it is her address!)

        Katerina
        c/o The Mikula's
        7751 La Bolsa Dr
        Dallas, TX  75248-4334

        All you folks are showing the true spirit of our ancestry ... jsme jedna ceska rodina!
        we are one czech family!

        And a holy and happy Easter season to all if I do not post before then.

        Frank