Re: [TexasCzechs] The Bold Prairie--Part 2

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
      On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:16:15 -0600, you wrote:

      >Part 2

      >.............. Add to this periods of drought and flooding and the picture must have become desperate. It has been written that many a family lived on the brink of complete destitution. And, the situation even looked bleak for the larger farmers as there was no additional land available for their children to farm and they could not afford the new machinery that would make their farming operations more competitive.

      Does this sound like Texas! Farmer's children can no longer find good
      land nor can they afford the equipment to start farming. Only a few
      farmers left, thank God that many of them are Czechs.

      Thanks for the historical "short story", Susan. I, for one am
      enjoying it.
      Cheers,
      Joe
      Burleson, TX
      http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
    • Tricia Burt
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003
        My daddy was also a TexasCzech farmer, Joe Janecek, of
        Ganado. So I can relate!! Both of my brothers tried to
        farm, but they had to give it up due to the high cost
        of machinery & low prices for the rice & cotton at the
        time.

        http://tax.yahoo.com