Re: [TexasCzechs] Kolache Shops

  • Nangotoo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003

      >>I occasionally make cherry,
      pineapple, apricot kolaches also.<<

      Julie,

      Is your pineapple filling a family secret recipe or would you be willing to share it with me?  I've been looking for that filling recipe.

      Does anyone have a good, thick, peach filling recipe for Kolache?  Another one I've been looking for.

      Nan
    • Julie Matus
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
        Hi Nan -

        No, my pineapple filling recipe is not a family secret - I believe
        it came from Patsy Kaluza of Patsy's Bakery in West, TX when she
        was on the Eyes of Texas show on TV. I watched it and wrote down
        her recipes. The Eyes of Texas show is not on anymore and we miss
        it - it was a very good show!

        Pineapple Filling
        1 large can of crushed pineapple with juice
        1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
        3/4 to 1 cup sugar
        Mix all this together and cook until thick, stirring constantly so
        it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.

        Enjoy!!

        Julie

        Julie & Wes Matus
        Spring, TX

        Researching:
        Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala,
        Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

        From: Nangotoo@...
        Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 03:39:29 EST

        Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net
      • Nangotoo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
          Julie,

          Thank you for sharing the pineapple filling recipe.  I will pass it on to my mom, too.
          Nan
        • Carolyn Meiners
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003

            Dear Julie,

            Perhaps someone has already responded to your query regarding kolache shops in the Czech Republic.  I've visited the country five times and don't recall a shop that exclusively sells kolaches like our donut shops.  I've seen them in the bakeries in their larger grocery stores and in some bakery shops that also sell other pasteries, much like our small-town bakeries.  In addition to the kolaches as we know them, certain areas of the country also have frgals, which are medium pizza size kolac, usually with cheese, poppyseed or prune fillings.  Oftentimes cheese and poppyseed fillings are placed on a frgal in a swirled pattern or half and half.  They are cut and served just like our pizzas.  I have relatives who place the cottage cheese filling inside the dough like a poppyseed kolache, but they make the kolaches round and then cut into each one towards the center, so that the baked kolache looks like a flower.  They also put fresh strawberries on top of the cheese inside the kolache dough and then make an indention on top, where they place strawberry jam. Yum!

            We have created some new flavors here, such as pineapple, blueberry and dewberry.  I have only seen poppyseed, prune, cheese, cherry, strawberry, apple and cabbage.

            Carolyn Meiners