re Kolaches

  • mrhorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
      My uncle Frank called kolaches " Bohemian washtubs"
      When my sis and I were in the CR a few years ago we went to a grocery store..they called cookies kolaches, but didn't see any kolaches as we know them..but we didn't see everything in the CR by any means.  My 100% Czech relatives in Ok. and Ne.made them the  way we see them in Tx. ( the home made kind  which in my opinion are the best kind)  Maybe the immigrants carried the art from Bohemia and Moravia,  but there they don't make them  that way any more . Just a guess.
       Christmas I made  sausage kolaches( Klobasnicky..  sp?)
      using Sloveceks sausage from Sam"s..  the links are about 6 in long  cut 1 time vertically and once horizontally ( 4 pieces).. steamed in a little water and cooled..then wrapped in dough and baked ..I used basically the same dough as Richard did but ...1/2 the amt. of flour and a 2 step rising but doubt that makes a big difference.  I thought they were good.  They are a good sized kolache.  I like them with mustard and grape jelly.  My Scots mother called them "pigs in a blanket".  She used ordinary sausage links.  You can use frozen bread do if you don't like to bake very much.. they are not quite as good.
      Margie
    • RICHARD KOTRLA
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
        Pigs In The Blankets???

        Give me a break!!!

        Richard Kotrla

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
          >>She used ordinary sausage links.  You can use frozen bread do if you don't like to bake very much.. they are not quite as good.
          Margie<<

          Margie,  we used to call the big ones, "Pigs in a Blanket, too", but we use the small, packaged sausages from the store (Hillshire Farms) either in the beef or pork- and make the regular Kolache dough, roll it out and cut it into squares.  We put the small sausage in the center, seal up the sides and presto, small, enclosed sausage Kolache.  My mom prefers the closed kind for all Kolaches, but taught me how to make the open kind, so that's what I do for the cheese and the fruit fillings.

          Nan
        • Jeanette Hurwitz
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
            I did a little experimenting this Christmas since time was short and I
            really wanted Kolache.

            I used my bread machine on the dough cycle , which takes 1.5 hours. It
            even goes through the kneading and rising phases. After the final
            rising, take out the dough and treat it the same as when you make it by
            hand. Make balls, brush with melted butter, let rise, make an
            indentation, fill, let rise again, bake, eat, eat, EAT! They turned out
            great. Even my mother, who always spent countless hours mixing and
            kneading, thought they were better than hers.

            If your bread machine doesn't have a dough cycle you can stop the
            process just before it starts to bake. Take out the dough and go from
            there.

            Enjoy! Happy New Year.

            Jeanette
            Antioch, CA

            DANCHAK, DUSEK, MAREK, SILAR, BALCAR, JANKU and many others
          • Nangotoo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
              >>Pigs In The Blankets???

              Give me a break!!!<<

              Tsk, Tsk, Richard, such Czech/Moravian snobbery!  We know what they are really called, but the English have to call them something. (grin) because they don't know about kolache, right?  :-)

              Nan
              San Diego, CA