Re: [TexasCzechs] Kolache Shops

  • Julie Matus
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2003
      Hi Petr -
      Thanks for your reply. My mom always made kolaches - prune,
      cottage cheese, poppy seed. She would usually make a buchta or
      two, which were always good too. I occasionally make cherry,
      pineapple, apricot kolaches also. My family likes cinnamon rolls
      and sausage rolls. I work, so it is harder for me to find the
      time to make a lot of kolaches.
      Thank you for responding!! Happy New Year!!!

      Julie & Wes Matus
      Spring, TX

      Researching:
      Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala,
      Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

      From: Petr Exner <petexner@...>
      Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 01:57:16 -0800 (PST)

      >Hi Julie
      >We donĀ“t have any special shops for kolache in the Czech
      Republic. They are available everywhere in the food stores,
      supermarkets etc... The best ones are probably in bakeries. They
      are fresh and krusty :). You can get many types of these. (with
      jam, chocolate, etc...)
      >But in fact I ate salty ones only in Texas :)
      >Petr Exner, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
      >
      > Julie Matus <juwemat@...> wrote:
      >Hi to the Whole Group, especially Leigh Darilek in the Czech
      >Republic -
      >
      >Hope everyone had a really great Christmas and here's wishes for
      >very Happy 2003!!
      >
      >Over the Christmas holidays, my nephew asked whether there are
      are
      >kolache shops all over the place in the Czech Republic like there
      >are donut shops everywhere here - good question!
      >
      >Do the Czechs make kolaches like we do here in the states? For
      >those of you who either live there or have visited there, can you
      >shed a little light on this subject? If they do have kolache
      >shops there, are they similar to ours, or have we totally
      >Americanized the kolaches?
      >
      >Thanks in advance for any responses.
      >
      >Julie
      >
      >Julie & Wes Matus
      >Spring, TX
      >
      >Researching:
      >Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala,
      >Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

      >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.

      Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net
    • Nangotoo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003

        >>I occasionally make cherry,
        pineapple, apricot kolaches also.<<

        Julie,

        Is your pineapple filling a family secret recipe or would you be willing to share it with me?  I've been looking for that filling recipe.

        Does anyone have a good, thick, peach filling recipe for Kolache?  Another one I've been looking for.

        Nan
      • Julie Matus
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
          Hi Nan -

          No, my pineapple filling recipe is not a family secret - I believe
          it came from Patsy Kaluza of Patsy's Bakery in West, TX when she
          was on the Eyes of Texas show on TV. I watched it and wrote down
          her recipes. The Eyes of Texas show is not on anymore and we miss
          it - it was a very good show!

          Pineapple Filling
          1 large can of crushed pineapple with juice
          1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
          3/4 to 1 cup sugar
          Mix all this together and cook until thick, stirring constantly so
          it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.

          Enjoy!!

          From: Nangotoo@...
          Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 03:39:29 EST

          Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net
        • Nangotoo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
            Julie,

            Thank you for sharing the pineapple filling recipe.  I will pass it on to my mom, too.
            Nan
          • Carolyn Meiners
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003

              Dear Julie,

              Perhaps someone has already responded to your query regarding kolache shops in the Czech Republic.  I've visited the country five times and don't recall a shop that exclusively sells kolaches like our donut shops.  I've seen them in the bakeries in their larger grocery stores and in some bakery shops that also sell other pasteries, much like our small-town bakeries.  In addition to the kolaches as we know them, certain areas of the country also have frgals, which are medium pizza size kolac, usually with cheese, poppyseed or prune fillings.  Oftentimes cheese and poppyseed fillings are placed on a frgal in a swirled pattern or half and half.  They are cut and served just like our pizzas.  I have relatives who place the cottage cheese filling inside the dough like a poppyseed kolache, but they make the kolaches round and then cut into each one towards the center, so that the baked kolache looks like a flower.  They also put fresh strawberries on top of the cheese inside the kolache dough and then make an indention on top, where they place strawberry jam. Yum!

              We have created some new flavors here, such as pineapple, blueberry and dewberry.  I have only seen poppyseed, prune, cheese, cherry, strawberry, apple and cabbage.

              Carolyn Meiners