Re: [TexasCzechs] unrolling an old document

  • richardgarza1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2002
      Hi David,
              You'll discover quite a few documents on how to restore/flatten paper that has been rolled up for a long time by doing a search at Google.com using the following phrase: "preservation rolled paper"
              One snippet I include here (see below) explains the process simply, but be aware that there are many cautions about the process. Good luck!
      Rick Garza
      Sharing. It's what it's all about!
      http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

      " . I have an old wedding certificate that has been stored rolled up for many years. It is quite brittle. How can I safely unroll and flatten it?

      Often when paper objects have been stored rolled for many years, they become quite brittle. In order to safely unroll your certificate, moisture needs to be restored to the document (known as humidification). Placing your document in a humid environment for several hours should make it more flexible, allowing you to carefully unroll and flatten it. Watch out for ink on the document that migh bleed (don't humidify it if the ink will run). You may have to experiment with the level of humidity and the amount of time you leave the document exposed; monitor to make sure it does not get saturated. Attempt to carefully unroll the document while it is still humid; do not proceed if it resists or begins to crack or tear. You could then flatten it by placing the document between two pieces of blotting paper, and then place a heavy object on top for a few days. "
      From: http://loricase.com/faq.html

      6
      >    Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 06:42:09
      -0000
      >    From: "David Jezek <>"
      > Subject: unrolling an old document
      >
      > I have my grandfather's actual baptism certificate but it has been
      > rolled up for
      long enough that when I tried to unroll it the paper
      > actually
      cracked.  (So I stopped)  It looks like a sort of card
      > stock,
      not just flimsy paper and also has colorful designs on it.
      > I'm not
      sure how to flatten it out.  Any sugestions?
      > David
      Jezek