sauerkruat and potato dumplings

  • Richard Kotrla <rjkotrla2@msn.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2002
      A recipe that I remember by grandmother Kristof making, and I
      actually made them this Christmas for my non-Czech in-laws:

      2 lbs peeled potatoes
      1 teaspoon salt
      2 eggs
      3 cups instantized flour
      1/2 lb diced ham
      1 teaspoon caraway seeds
      1/2 teaspoon black pepper
      1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut
      1 cup sour cream (approximately)
      1. Grate raw potatoes and drain.
      2. Add salt, eggs, and flour to grated potatoes and mix well
      (mixture will be fairly solid).
      3. Form dumplings into balls (desired size, I usually get about 20-
      25 good sized dumplings) and drop into boiling water.
      4. Allow to cook for 8-10 minutes making sure they do not stick to
      bottom of pan.
      5. Remove dumplings with a skimmer and set aside.
      6. In a large pan heat approximately 6 tbsp oil over medium heat.
      7. Add diced ham, caraway seeds, and pepper and allow to cook 10
      minutes.
      8. Increase heat to high, add sauerkraut (drain about half the
      juice before adding) and mix well with ham.
      9. Allow this to cook for about 20 minutes stirring often.
      10. Add sour cream (the amount can definately be adjusted to your
      taste) and mix well until creamy.
      11. Reduce heat to low, add dumplings and cover.
      12. Cook for 20-30 minutes stirring periodically.