Re: [TexasCzechs] St. Nick in the Czech Republic

  • Petr Exner
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002

      Hi Millie

      You could send me anything, I�ll try to help you. :)

      I found something about family Herynk from Sloupno in Erbovn�k (a book about coat of arms). I think you know this but I�m transcripting it to you:

      ze Sloupna (from Sloupno)

      coat of arm: metal gauntlet in red field

      The Czech knighthood named after the Sloupno stronghold near Novy Bydzov which had been divided onto several branches sometimes between 14th and 15th century. Herynks from Sloupno moved themselves into Moravia at the begining of 15th century. They settled down in villages Kobylnice and Ponetovice. They add to theirs coat of arm a picture of herynk (fish - I guess). This branch dies out in 16th century

      well, I don�t know if its helpful but I hope so. If you need anything just email me.

      Petr Exner, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic

       mrbkdb112@... wrote:

      Petr Exner <petexner@...> wrote:
      Hi. Petr

      I note that you are in Hradek Kralove which is not far from an area i have been researching. It is Sloupno, near Novy Bydzov. I was there this year and talked to a man in the city hall about getting more information on Petr Herink who lived there in the 1400's. He and his family owned property and a small castle. I left the information with him but he has not responded since. Probably he could find nothing, or he may have lost my email address.

      Also, I had been hearing from Ivan Herynk in Hradek Kralove via email and he sent me a lot of material on the Herink/Herynk genealogy, but he suddenly stopped corresponding. I am wondering if something happened to him. I don't have his address and email number right now as I am away from home, but with your permission, I will email it later.

      Thank you for your input about your customs. It is very interesting.

      Millie Buethe
      Round Rock,Texas
      mrbkdb112@...

      >That�s true. But I will add just quick notice: St. Nicholas day has long tradition here but everything is changing a bit.
      >St. Nicholas day is primarily for younger kids. There are many groups of Angel, Nicholas and Devil and they are going into the families to give the kids some small presents. Good and well behaved kids will get sweets and tropical fruit, the "problem" ones potatoes, coal and peanuts. It�s great to stand in the center of town and watch all the groups. They are consists mainly from teenagers or young males and some angels are really "beautiful". There are also some special kids gatherings (mainly in big stores and in big squres).
      >When kids are big enough or between the adult this day is becoming something like Christmas preview. Everybody give everybody some small gift and this gift is hidden on the window-sill.
      >Petr Exner, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
      > Kerry <scoutingfamily@...> wrote:
      >

      >Angels lower St. Nicholas, or Svaty Mikul��, down from heaven on a heavy golden cord. He comes with a basket of apples, nuts, and candies. On December 6th, St Nicholas Day, three figures-kindly St. Nicholas who gives gifts to children, a Devil who comes to take bad children away, and an Angel who pleads on their behalf-form a procession which marks the beginning of the Christmas season. In Prague there is a carnival with prizes for the best masks. In the early evening of his feast day, December 6, St. Nicholas visits children in their homes with his entourage of the devil and an angel.
      >Traditionally he quizzed children on the prayer-book and the Bible. Today's questions are mostly about the previous year's behavior. The angel writes each child's record in a large book. Children sing or say a poem to the saint. The devil rattles his chains, threatening to carry bad children off, but the angel, with a gold star on her forehead and dressed in a white gown, protects the children. The good children receive stockings filled with tangerines, nuts, chocolates, and small gifts. It is said that bad children get old potatoes or coal in theirs. Parents and other relatives also give a St. Nicholas gift, which may be hidden so children have to hunt to find it.
      >Kerry

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • mrbkdb112@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
        Petr Exner <petexner@...> wrote:
        Thanks,Petr, for the translation. I will email you when I get home as I do have some more questions. I really appreciate your help.

        Thanks so much!!

        Millie