St. Nick in the Czech Republic

  • Kerry
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2002

      Czech Republic

      Czech Postcard
      St Nicholas coming down from Heaven ~ Czech Postcard
      St Nicholas Center Collection

      Angels lower St. Nicholas, or Svaty Mikuláš, down from heaven on a heavy golden cord. He comes with a basket of apples, nuts, and candies. On December 6th, St Nicholas Day, three figures-kindly St. Nicholas who gives gifts to children, a Devil who comes to take bad children away, and an Angel who pleads on their behalf-form a procession which marks the beginning of the Christmas season. In Prague there is a carnival with prizes for the best masks. In the early evening of his feast day, December 6, St. Nicholas visits children in their homes with his entourage of the devil and an angel.

      Czech Postcard
      St Nicholas with Angel and Devil
      1937 Czech Postcard
      St Nicholas Center Collection
      Traditionally he quizzed children on the prayer-book and the Bible. Today's questions are mostly about the previous year's behavior. The angel writes each child's record in a large book. Children sing or say a poem to the saint. The devil rattles his chains, threatening to carry bad children off, but the angel, with a gold star on her forehead and dressed in a white gown, protects the children. The good children receive stockings filled with tangerines, nuts, chocolates, and small gifts. It is said that bad children get old potatoes or coal in theirs. Parents and other relatives also give a St. Nicholas gift, which may be hidden so children have to hunt to find it.

      Kerry
      Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie

      "The most significant thing one can do to promote world peace is to go
      home and love your family."
      -Mother Teresa

      ~No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large
      number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.~

      "A study in the Washington Post says that women have better verbal
      skills than men. I just want to say to the authors of that study:
      'Duh!'"
      --Conan O'Brien

      Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
    • Petr Exner
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2002

        That�s true. But I will add just quick notice: St. Nicholas day has long tradition here but everything is changing a bit.

        St. Nicholas day is primarily for younger kids. There are many groups of Angel, Nicholas and Devil and they are going into the families to give the kids some small presents. Good and well behaved kids will get sweets and tropical fruit, the "problem" ones potatoes, coal and peanuts. It�s great to stand in the center of town and watch all the groups. They are consists mainly from teenagers or young males and some angels are really "beautiful". There are also some special kids gatherings (mainly in big stores and in big squres).

        When kids are big enough or between the adult this day is becoming something like Christmas preview. Everybody give everybody some small gift and this gift is hidden on the window-sill.

        Petr Exner, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic

         Kerry <scoutingfamily@...> wrote:

        Angels lower St. Nicholas, or Svaty Mikul��, down from heaven on a heavy golden cord. He comes with a basket of apples, nuts, and candies. On December 6th, St Nicholas Day, three figures-kindly St. Nicholas who gives gifts to children, a Devil who comes to take bad children away, and an Angel who pleads on their behalf-form a procession which marks the beginning of the Christmas season. In Prague there is a carnival with prizes for the best masks. In the early evening of his feast day, December 6, St. Nicholas visits children in their homes with his entourage of the devil and an angel.

        Traditionally he quizzed children on the prayer-book and the Bible. Today's questions are mostly about the previous year's behavior. The angel writes each child's record in a large book. Children sing or say a poem to the saint. The devil rattles his chains, threatening to carry bad children off, but the angel, with a gold star on her forehead and dressed in a white gown, protects the children. The good children receive stockings filled with tangerines, nuts, chocolates, and small gifts. It is said that bad children get old potatoes or coal in theirs. Parents and other relatives also give a St. Nicholas gift, which may be hidden so children have to hunt to find it.

        Kerry

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • mrbkdb112@cs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2002
          Petr Exner <petexner@...> wrote:
          Hi. Petr

          I note that you are in Hradek Kralove which is not far from an area i have been researching. It is Sloupno, near Novy Bydzov. I was there this year and talked to a man in the city hall about getting more information on Petr Herink who lived there in the 1400's. He and his family owned property and a small castle. I left the information with him but he has not responded since. Probably he could find nothing, or he may have lost my email address.

          Also, I had been hearing from Ivan Herynk in Hradek Kralove via email and he sent me a lot of material on the Herink/Herynk genealogy, but he suddenly stopped corresponding. I am wondering if something happened to him. I don't have his address and email number right now as I am away from home, but with your permission, I will email it later.

          Thank you for your input about your customs. It is very interesting.

          Millie Buethe
          Round Rock,Texas
          mrbkdb112@...

          >That´s true. But I will add just quick notice: St. Nicholas day has long tradition here but everything is changing a bit.
          >St. Nicholas day is primarily for younger kids. There are many groups of Angel, Nicholas and Devil and they are going into the families to give the kids some small presents. Good and well behaved kids will get sweets and tropical fruit, the "problem" ones potatoes, coal and peanuts. It´s great to stand in the center of town and watch all the groups. They are consists mainly from teenagers or young males and some angels are really "beautiful". There are also some special kids gatherings (mainly in big stores and in big squres).
          >When kids are big enough or between the adult this day is becoming something like Christmas preview. Everybody give everybody some small gift and this gift is hidden on the window-sill.
          >Petr Exner, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
          > Kerry <scoutingfamily@...> wrote:
          >

          >Angels lower St. Nicholas, or Svaty Mikuláš, down from heaven on a heavy golden cord. He comes with a basket of apples, nuts, and candies. On December 6th, St Nicholas Day, three figures-kindly St. Nicholas who gives gifts to children, a Devil who comes to take bad children away, and an Angel who pleads on their behalf-form a procession which marks the beginning of the Christmas season. In Prague there is a carnival with prizes for the best masks. In the early evening of his feast day, December 6, St. Nicholas visits children in their homes with his entourage of the devil and an angel.
          >Traditionally he quizzed children on the prayer-book and the Bible. Today's questions are mostly about the previous year's behavior. The angel writes each child's record in a large book. Children sing or say a poem to the saint. The devil rattles his chains, threatening to carry bad children off, but the angel, with a gold star on her forehead and dressed in a white gown, protects the children. The good children receive stockings filled with tangerines, nuts, chocolates, and small gifts. It is said that bad children get old potatoes or coal in theirs. Parents and other relatives also give a St. Nicholas gift, which may be hidden so children have to hunt to find it.
          >Kerry

        • Petr Exner
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002

            Hi Millie

            You could send me anything, I�ll try to help you. :)

            I found something about family Herynk from Sloupno in Erbovn�k (a book about coat of arms). I think you know this but I�m transcripting it to you:

            ze Sloupna (from Sloupno)

            coat of arm: metal gauntlet in red field

            The Czech knighthood named after the Sloupno stronghold near Novy Bydzov which had been divided onto several branches sometimes between 14th and 15th century. Herynks from Sloupno moved themselves into Moravia at the begining of 15th century. They settled down in villages Kobylnice and Ponetovice. They add to theirs coat of arm a picture of herynk (fish - I guess). This branch dies out in 16th century

            well, I don�t know if its helpful but I hope so. If you need anything just email me.

             mrbkdb112@... wrote:

            Petr Exner <petexner@...> wrote:
> [...]

            >Traditionally he quizzed children on the prayer-book and the Bible. Today's questions are mostly about the previous year's behavior. The angel writes each child's record in a large book. Children sing or say a poem to the saint. The devil rattles his chains, threatening to carry bad children off, but the angel, with a gold star on her forehead and dressed in a white gown, protects the children. The good children receive stockings filled with tangerines, nuts, chocolates, and small gifts. It is said that bad children get old potatoes or coal in theirs. Parents and other relatives also give a St. Nicholas gift, which may be hidden so children have to hunt to find it.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • mrbkdb112@cs.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
              Petr Exner <petexner@...> wrote:
              Thanks,Petr, for the translation. I will email you when I get home as I do have some more questions. I really appreciate your help.

              Thanks so much!!

              Millie