Strudel Bake

  • Ray J. Bacak
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2002
      From Victoria Catholic Diocese newspaper, The Catholic Lighthouse, November, 2002:

      "When and Where -

      Shiner - Sts. Cyril and Methodius Annual Strudel Bake at the parish hall on Nov. 9 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.  Fresh baked homemade apple strudels will sell for $12, unbaked ones will be $10.  Place advance orders with Ann Duke (361) 594-3611 or call (361) 594-3836 for out-of-town orders and orders after the sale date."

    • Robert and Nancy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2009

        http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/nov/14/jv_strudel_bake_111509_74044/?news

        SHINER - When you ask Kelly Oatis what technique she uses to roll dough for strudel, she'll tell you it's all in the muscles.

        On Saturday, Oatis and 100 others flexed their muscles to help in the 23rd annual Homemade Apple Strudel Bake, a fundraiser for Sts. Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church.

        Oatis threw her hands in to volunteer for the Shiner event, though she lives two hours away in Cypress.

        "I have been looking forward to this for a long time," Oatis said. "It's better than what people describe."

        She had been working for nearly three hours by 11 a.m., but she and other volunteers brimmed with energy. Many of them had been there since 5 a.m.

        Jon Barecky and Kim Pesek were among the few who took on the painstaking task of peeling 7,920 apples.

        Pesek, a native of Shiner, has helped prepare strudels for the last 10 years.

        She said, as a bleary-eyed Barecky carved into apples across from her. "You're kind of sucked into it."

        The parish benefits from a snowball effect in getting volunteers. Members of the parish call friends, some traveling hours to help.

        Mary Rose Barta, general chairperson of the strudel bake, emphasized that volunteers from the parish have shaped the bake's success.

        Youths and the elderly worked side by side in assembly-line fashion. Grade-school children fetched bowls of butter for the older volunteers who used it to baste the strudels. Meanwhile, Barecky and Pesek continued peeling apples in another room.

        "Many hands make light work," Barta said. "We couldn't do it without people pitching in."

        The parish prepared 2,824 balls of dough, meaning that they expected to make 2,824 strudels.

        The fundraiser would not have been possible without donations of ingredients and money, Barta said.

        The Rev. Tommy Chen said the strudel bake really helps bring the parish together and is something many look forward to.

        "I really think it's the fellowship," Chen said, on what draws so many volunteers to the event. "I think they come because it's fun."

        Chen has been with the parish for two years. He said the previous year volunteers finished in record time.

        He didn't know if they would break the record again this year.

        "We have quite a few strudels to make today," he said.

        Strudel is one of two official state pastries, the other being the sopaipilla. They were adopted as such in 2005 because the pastries have been staples of the Texas area since the 17th century, according to the state Legislature's Web site.

      • G Martisek
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2009
          Message
          Does anyone know if you can order them?

          Thanks,
          Gerri

        • darlenbaker@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2009
            This is awesome!! I hope they made their goal!!  Also the priest is from Port Lavaca. His mother used to work with me at the bank.

            darlene baker
          • janavaculik
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2009
              As far as I know it is either preorder or buy it at the event. I guess you would have to call the parish office to see if some are still available. It is a site to see, people like an army of ants going back and forth and working. The Texas Czech show will broadcast the strudel bake for its Dec 11th show; I interviewed three generations of one family and you will get to see the whole process from coring apples to slicing of the apples and rolling the dough.

              Jana

              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, darlenbaker@... wrote:

              > This is awesome!! I hope they made their goal!! Also the priest is from
              > Port Lavaca. His mother used to work with me at the bank.
              >
              > darlene baker

            • Matt Cross
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 16, 2009
                You could probably e-mail Mary Rose Barta, the spokesperson referenced in the article, at mbarta@... for info.