Re: Kolache Dough

  • Anita Berka
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2002
      Mark,

      The recipe I use is from my adopted Great-Aunt Ella Drgac and was a grand
      champion entry at the Kolache Festival several years ago.

      The recipe calls for combining 2 cups milk w/1/2 c. Crisco, 1 tsp. salt
      and 1/3 cup sugar and bringing to a boil. Let it cool down to lukewarm.
      Meantime, add 2 pkts. active dry yeast to 1/2 cup very warm water (should
      feel very warm on your wrist). Beat 2 whole eggs and set aside.

      Gently whisk in the beaten eggs to the lukewarm milk mixture. Next whisk
      in the yeast mixture til well combined. Add 6 cups sifted all-purpose
      flour. If dough is too sticky, add up to 1 more cup flour. Pour dough
      out onto a floured surface and knead 5-7 minutes (no more, no less). Put
      dough in a buttered bowl, turning to coat, cover with a towel and set in a
      warm place to rise for 1 hour.

      Punch down dough and knead again 5-7 minutes. Let rise again for 1 hour.
      Pour dough out onto floured surface and roll to 1/2 - 3/4-inch thickness.
      Cut out 2" rounds with biscuit cutter. Place on greased jellyroll pan and
      gently make center indentions with your fingers. Cover and let rise in a
      warm place for 15 minutes. Fill and bake 10-13 minutes, or until golden
      on top. Immediately baste with butter (not margarine) when removed from
      oven. Let cool. Makes about 3.5 dozen. This recipe usually turns out no
      matter what the weather or what the temp inside your home.

      Anita Berka
      akberka@...