Can't Log on?? HELP!

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2002
      Hi Members,

      Been staying quiet for the past few weeks - and trying to stay dry!!!!  Thank goodness we are having some of that bright shinning stuff outside last couple days.  I think it is what they call SUN.

      Ever have a problem trying to get on a site, such as Yahoo, and your password slipped away from your memory?  Even those you have used for months, maybe even years?  Or you KNOW you have the correct password and the site is just being stubborn and won't let you enter???  What to do, what to do??  Here are a few things that has happened to me. Couple of other list Helpers were called on the last few days for  similar problem, so here's some things to remember:

      • If you have many passwords, I suggest you may want to do as I have - enter them on a page you have saved on your hard drive somewhere. I have one page that I have entered with several columns per line.  (nothing fancy, just hit the tab key until the cursor lines up with column above that particular line) I enter the name of the program (Yahoo, MSN, etc) and type the programs URL in the next column.  Skipping to the right is another column that I enter my password to enter the program.  Some programs require a second password (example: Bank Account) and enter it, also.  No one knows I have this page so I feel safe having it on paper.  (Now, several hundred ElectronicCzechs know about it! LOL)
      • Many of the passwords must be typed exactly as you entered them when signing up.  This is known as Case Sensitive, if you've see that and wasn't sure what it meant.  That means if you originally entered a name in small letters, you must do so each time you enter that password.  If you, for example, entered <strongman> when you signed up, entering Strongman will not let you enter the program (if case sensitive).  This is really something you have to watch if you entered a proper name as a password.  You normally type the name Bob and remembering to type bob has to be remembered, since you probably have use the Shift Key 1,492,013 times typing Bob previously, if that happens to be your name.
      • A simple slip of the little finger can bring on a problem.  All lines/boxes I know of where you enter passwords type out the asterisk < * >  for each letter you type.  If you accidentally pushed the Shift Lock key, each letter you type will be either capitols or small letter, not what you think you are typing as only the asterisk is showing.  NO GO, either!
      • In case you have set up your computer requiring a password to boot up, keeping your password list on the computer isn't going to work.  If you forget the password and can't recall what it is, how are you going to get the machine booted up if you basically have put a lock on the machine and threw the key away?  If this applies, Rick Garza has an excellent example of entering your passwords on cards, such as 3" X 5" and put somewhere they can be accessed.
      • Be sure you have selected to download your message off your mail box at your ISP or Yahoo.  When You log on, the messages will be transferred to your hard drive, usually Outlook Express or one of the other mail programs.  If you do not download the messages, your mail box continues to hold the messages you have read, plus collect additional messages until it is full. The new mail will then be returned to the sender and you will probably be locked out of your mail box, requiring you to contact your ISP or Yahoo through to get back online.. I POP my mail from Yahoo and another account and have them set to transfer my messages to my hard drive.
      Hope this helps anyone, someone.  If you have any questions, post it to the list if you don't mind, as others might be interested in the same type of question.
                                                                         OR
      look the helpers up at the CHS Fall Meeting at Taylor Nov. 12th in Taylor, TX!  Hope everyone is planning to attend the meeting.

      Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

      Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

      ---
    • george patrick
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
        Thanks for the good advice, Sir John.  In the past couple of weeks I have experienced all of the potential problems that you, Richard, and Steve have warned about from time to time.  Any of us who are new to computers or new to computer groups would be wise to listen and prepare for these problems.  I hope noone else finds themselves in the situation I found myself in, that is, being lonesome George with no way to talk with my E-Czech buddies!

        Prepared George (formerly Lonesome George)

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
          Hi Formerly Lonesome!,

          Well, glad you told members those things I spoke of can happen!  And they sure can be frustrating and you KNOW you are doing everything right and it's the computer, web site, etc., and not you. LOL

          I believe you are with 40 mile radius of Taylor, TX, if my poor memory serves me correctly.  Hope you attend the CHS meeting Saturday November 16th (not the 12th I erroneously reported yesterday!)  I know Rick Garza and I will be there, not sure of Steve Alvarez.  It's going to be a good meeting.  If you are able to come, look me up - I'd enjoy meeting you.  And everyone else, too, especially the ladies bringing kolaches, homemade bread, and hopefully some more homemade butter by my lake friend! <G>

          Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
            Thanks for the personal invite.  I'm not for sure if I will be able to attend or not but if I can, I will let you know.

            George

            Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 8:07 AM