Re: Praha Church Records

  • turtlehawk2002
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2002
      Susan,
      Is there a Anna Vacula? Born in Prague, Nov. 22, 1891. She came to
      Plum, Tx. when she was 1.
      Thanks, Mary

      --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Susan Rektorik Henley" <srektorik@h...>
      wrote:
      > Okay folks, this is a one time offer with some limitations. For
      the Saint Thomas Czech Fest, I Have two boxes of genealogy books that
      the CHS has most graciously allowed me to use from the CHS library.
      This includes information from the records of the Church of the
      Assumption of Our Lady at Praha.

      > I put the copy for the November Cesky Hlas in the mail yesterday
      and I am now focusing on getting ready for the Saint Thomas Czech
      Fest; BUT; I am willing to do look ups for those who are desperate
      for information.

      > If anyone on the list is just starting their family research or if
      they have "hit a wall" please send your surnames (limit two) and any
      other info you have such as first names, maiden names, approximate
      year, etc. I will do the look ups as time allows. I ask that you
      post to the list so others can benefit from the information.

      > Susan
    • srektorik
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 3, 2002
        --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Diann Biltz" <diannbiltz@p...> wrote:
        > Are there any Vavrusa's, either Joseph or Frank from around 1890s
        in these records - they came from Zelechovice in Moravia sometime in
        the 1880s.

        Hi,

        The Saint Mary's at Praha Church records are for baptisms (1866 -
        1877) and marriages (1868 - 1887).

        I did not find a Vavrusa entry.

        Susan
      • Susan Rektorik Henley
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2002
          >Laura Pilgrim and I have been trying to find any trace of our great-great grandfather, Johann (or Jan) Bacak, who was born in 1809 in Moravia.  His wife died and we have found traces that he came to the U.S., with conflicting indications of whether it was in 1880 or 1889, after his wife passed away in Moravia. <

          Hi Ray,

          The CHS records from St. Mary's are for births and marriages. However, I do have 'Old Bohemian Tombstones" Volume 2, by Robert Janak. I first went through the listing for the St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery and did not find a single Bacak listed as being buried there.

          I then checked the other cemeteries listed in that Volume; but again, I did not find Jan Bacak (only one Bacak at all--Veronica).

          The cemeteries covered in this book are:St. Mary's, Cistern Catholic (C), Flatonia (C), High Hill (C), Moravia (C), Psencik, Schulenburg (C),  and St. John's (C).

          Is there possibly another spelling of the surname?

          Susan
        • turtlehawk2002
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 3, 2002
            Susan,
            Is the St. Mary's Catholic Church Cemetary located outside of
            Ellinger? If so, are there any Mazac's listed there.
            For Flatonia, is there a Alois (b3-26-1871-?) and Mary (2-1877-1940)
            Stavinoha listed in your book?

            wrote:
            > >Laura Pilgrim and I have been trying to find any trace of our
            great-great grandfather, Johann (or Jan) Bacak, who was born in 1809
            in Moravia. His wife died and we have found traces that he came to
            the U.S., with conflicting indications of whether it was in 1880 or
            1889, after his wife passed away in Moravia. <

            > Hi Ray,
            >
            > The CHS records from St. Mary's are for births and marriages.
            However, I do have 'Old Bohemian Tombstones" Volume 2, by Robert
            Janak. I first went through the listing for the St. Mary's Catholic
            Cemetery and did not find a single Bacak listed as being buried
            there.

            > I then checked the other cemeteries listed in that Volume; but
            again, I did not find Jan Bacak (only one Bacak at all--Veronica).

            > The cemeteries covered in this book are:St. Mary's, Cistern
            Catholic (C), Flatonia (C), High Hill (C), Moravia (C), Psencik,
            Schulenburg (C), and St. John's (C).

            > Is there possibly another spelling of the surname?
            >
            > Susan
          • srektorik
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 3, 2002
              --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "turtlehawk2002" <maryv@c...> wrote:
              > Susan,
              > Is the St. Mary's Catholic Church Cemetary located outside of
              > Ellinger? If so, are there any Mazac's listed there.
              > For Flatonia, is there a Alois (b3-26-1871-?) and Mary (2-1877-1940)
              > Stavinoha listed in your book?

              Mary,

              Elinger is located to the northeast of Schulenburg, Praha (St. Mary's
              Church of the Assumption) is to the west of Schulenburg between Engle
              and Flatonia.

              "Old Bohemian Tombstones" Volume 3 by Robert Janak includes the
              Ellinger Catholic Cemetery. In this book, I found a listing for;

              Josef Mazac----1849/1919
              Rosie A. Mazac----1885-1938
              "Old Bohemian Tombstones" Volume 2 by Robert Janak includes the
              Praha and Moravian Catholic Cemeteries, I did not fina a listing for
              MAZAC in either.

              "Old Bohemian Tombstones" Volume 2 by Robert Janak includes the
              Flatonia Catholic Cemetery (Sacred Heart of Jesus)but I did not find
              a single listing for Stavinoha. They may be buried in the City
              Cemetery though. I do not have those records.
            • Susan Rektorik Henley
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 3, 2002
                > Laura Pilgrim and I have been trying to find any trace of our great-great grandfather, Johann (or Jan) Bacak, who was born in 1809 in Moravia... He had two daughters and both settled in Praha, so probably he would have gone there too.  If you have time and can look from say 1880 through 1900 for any evidence of a funeral entry there, I would appreciate it.  <

                Ray,

                I was pondering the fact that I could not find a listing for Jan Bacak in any of the cemetery listings that I have. That brought to mind the subject of whether part of the Praha Catholic Cemetery was razed and returned to pasture in the early 1900's. I wonder if he was buried there!

                Also, there is an SPJST cemetery in Praha and I have been told that there was another cemetery near the town that the landowner razed.

                Just thoughts,

                Susan
              • Anita Berka
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3, 2002
                  Susan,

                  It would be interesting to see if either of these surnames crop up in
                  thosed records:

                  Berka
                  Klepec/Klepac, Amalia (b. approx. 1877, d. 1930)

                  Thanks,

                  Anita Berka
                  (Researching Berka, Klepec/Klepac/Klepage/Clipack, Vavra, Urban,
                  Orsag/Orsak)
                • Ray J. Bacak
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 3, 2002
                    Thanks for trying, Susan.  Don't think there was an alternate spelling of the name by this time in history.  We knew my grandfather Rudolph Bacak was buried at Praha through family recollections and a funeral record was found there once.  But the grave was lost and Praha has no usable old records (seems to be a uniform story from all available sources).

                      If the (C) means the Catholic Cemetery, my dad and his first wife are buried in the Flatonia Catholic Cemetery, so the book may not be complete.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 3, 2002
                      My mom is 87 and not really coherent much of the time, but a while back she specifically said she saw my dad's father's grave, marked with an engraved brick, in about 1940.  A couple of years later, the family looked for the grave again when my grandmother died, and the rock had disappeared.
                      > Laura Pilgrim and I have been trying to find any trace of our great-great grandfather, Johann (or Jan) Bacak, who was born in 1809 in Moravia... He had two daughters and both settled in Praha, so probably he would have gone there too.  If you have time and can look from say 1880 through 1900 for any evidence of a funeral entry there, I would appreciate it.  <

                      Ray,

                      I was pondering the fact that I could not find a listing for Jan Bacak in any of the cemetery listings that I have. That brought to mind the subject of whether part of the Praha Catholic Cemetery was razed and returned to pasture in the early 1900's. I wonder if he was buried there!

                      Also, there is an SPJST cemetery in Praha and I have been told that there was another cemetery near the town that the landowner razed.

                      Just thoughts,

                      Susan

                    • CL C
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 4, 2002

                        When and if you have the time: Surnames:  Castecka and Matula from Moravia, year unknown.  Thanks, CLC ( Pflugerville)

                        >From: "Susan Rektorik Henley"
                        >Subject: [TexasCzechs] Praha Church Records
                        >Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:35:08 -0500
                        >
                        >Okay folks, this is a one time offer with some limitations. For the Saint Thomas Czech Fest, I Have two boxes of genealogy books that the CHS has most graciously allowed me to use from the CHS library. This includes information from the records of the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady at Praha.
                        >
                        >I put the copy for the November Cesky Hlas in the mail yesterday and I am now focusing on getting ready for the Saint Thomas Czech Fest; BUT; I am willing to do look ups for those who are desperate for information.
                        >
                        >If anyone on the list is just starting their family research or if they have "hit a wall" please send your surnames (limit two) and any other info you have such as first names, maiden names, approximate year, etc. I will do the look ups as time allows. I ask that you post to the list so others can benefit from the information.
                        >
                        >Susan

                      • Joe Garrison
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 4, 2002
                          Mary - Turtlehawk,

                          I am also looking for a Mary Stavinoha.
                          She is my grandmother. She was born 3-12-1892 in Texas, I think. She was
                          married to Joseph Jalufka, and later to John Jonas (I think). If you come
                          across a connection while search for your Mary please let me know.

                          Myrna

                          (Searching Jaluvka, Stavinoha, Olsovsky)

                        • Leroy Janda
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 4, 2002
                            Ray,
                            In a previous correspondence, I had mentioned that Valentin Janda 2/15/1809
                            married to Veronika Baca m 1/27/1857 b 1/19/1832 may have been a relative.
                            This information is from Opava archives.

                            On Thursday 03 October 2002 11:45 pm, Ray J. Bacak wrote:
                            > Thanks for trying, Susan. Don't think there was an alternate spelling of
                            > the name by this time in history. We knew my grandfather Rudolph Bacak was
                            > buried at Praha through family recollections and a funeral record was found
                            > there once. But the grave was lost and Praha has no usable old records
                            > (seems to be a uniform story from all available sources).
                            >
                            > If the (C) means the Catholic Cemetery, my dad and his first wife are
                            > buried in the Flatonia Catholic Cemetery, so the book may not be complete.

                          • george patrick
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 4, 2002
                              Hi Myrna,
                              This is a bit off the subject, but I need to ask you a question about your
                              husband's family. Is there any connection to a Charles 'Chuck' Garrison who
                              lived in the Corpus Christi area around 1959. He was an oil field worker
                              and his parents may have lived in the Kingsville area. He would have been
                              somewhere around 20 to 25 years of age in 1959.

                              I would appreciate any information you may provide.

                              George from Austin

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 4, 2002
                                Myrna,
                                My Mary's maiden name may have been Machacek--she married Alois
                                Stavinoha. I'll make note of your Mary and check around. I have one
                                more free week to do this (week 7 of nursing a broken ankle) before I
                                can return back to my normal life of no-time-to-do-anything. Since
                                I've renewed my researching, I've found a lot of update info. It's
                                been a great escape!!
                                Mary

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 6, 2002
                                  George,

                                  I do not think the Garrisons are related. They are mostly in Arkansas. I
                                  will check with my in-laws and see if they know anything.
                                  Myrna

                                  >From: "george patrick" <GPATRICK@...>
                                  >To: <TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com>
                                  >Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Praha Church Records
                                  >Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:24:56 -0500
                                  >
                                  >Hi Myrna,
                                  >This is a bit off the subject, but I need to ask you a question about your
                                  >husband's family. Is there any connection to a Charles 'Chuck' Garrison
                                  >who
                                  >lived in the Corpus Christi area around 1959. He was an oil field worker
                                  >and his parents may have lived in the Kingsville area. He would have been
                                  >somewhere around 20 to 25 years of age in 1959.
                                  >
                                  >I would appreciate any information you may provide.
                                  >
                                  >George from Austin

                                • Joe Garrison
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 6, 2002
                                    Is there a marriage record for Joe Jalufka and Mary Stavinoha? Or a death
                                    record for Jacob & Mary Jaluvka?>
                                    Thanks Myrna

                                  • Kathy (Dlabay) Makiewicz
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 6, 2002
                                      Myrna,

                                      When I saw a California death I know Ancestry has California Deaths,
                                      1940-97. I was curious so I checked and found this:

                                      Surname Given Name Middle Name Sex Birth Date Death Date
                                      JONAS MARY JALUFKA FEMALE 10 Mar 1891 27 May 1953

                                      Birth Place Death Place Social Security # Mother's Maiden Name
                                      TEXAS ORANGE 0

                                      Father's Surname
                                      STIVINAHO

                                      Death Place is the county in California. I didn't find a John
                                      Jonas. Birth and Death dates are different than what you have. I
                                      copied and pasted the information so the dates are not a typo. You
                                      could send for the Death Cert to find out who the informant was but
                                      being 50 years ago that may not be any help.

                                      Kathy

                                      --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Joe Garrison" <garrisonfarms@h...> wrote:
                                      > Is there a marriage record for Joe Jalufka and Mary Stavinoha?
                                      Or a death
                                      > record for Jacob & Mary Jaluvka?>
                                      > Thanks Myrna

                                    • Joe Garrison
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 7, 2002
                                        Kathy,

                                        THANKS SO VERY MUCH!!! I am sure that must be it.
                                        The people that ran the nursing home was from Grandpa Joes first wife's side
                                        of the family. So they may have missed the date just a little. This is so
                                        GREAT.
                                        I also found out she married John Jonas's father not John. But couldn't get
                                        his name yet. But anyway, this is it, I am sure. I wish I had the father's
                                        first name, and mothers name, but at least this is something.
                                        I appreciate you doing this for me.
                                        Thanks again,
                                        Myrna