Re: [TexasCzechs] Sir John

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2002
      Jan,

      Sure looks like it.  We are going to get some wind regardless if it is the main brunt or not.  My nurse daughter was called to the nursing home she works at in Port Arthur, TX three hours ago - they are evacuating the patients north to Nacogdoches, TX hospital.  Ambulances sent from Dallas for transfer.  The nursing home here in Beaumont is not evacuating yet, and probably won't since Beaumont elevation is 25'.  My son is bringing his enclosed race car trailer to the driveway tomorrow morning in case we have the expected electric power failure from downed tree limbs, etc.  He has a large generator in it that will keep our two refrigerators operating.

      Sir John
      Is Lily gonna hit ya????  Get prepared....
      Jan

      ---
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
        Oh my goodness.  You guys stay safe!
        Jan

        Sure looks like it.  We are going to get some wind regardless if it is the main brunt or not.  My nurse daughter was called to the nursing home she works at in Port Arthur, TX three hours ago - they are evacuating the patients north to Nacogdoches, TX hospital.  Ambulances sent from Dallas for transfer.  The nursing home here in Beaumont is not evacuating yet, and probably won't since Beaumont elevation is 25'.  My son is bringing his enclosed race car trailer to the driveway tomorrow morning in case we have the expected electric power failure from downed tree limbs, etc.  He has a large generator in it that will keep our two refrigerators operating.

        Sir John
        Is Lily gonna hit ya????  Get prepared....
        Jan

        ---

      • Nangotoo
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 25, 2005
          Anyone heard from Sir John yet?  Things look pretty darn rough in Beaumont from what I've seen on TV and when I heard about that apartment house collapse this morning outside of Beaumont, I thought of him.

          Nan
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 25, 2005

            I e-mailed him but have not heard back from him.

            Steve

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 25, 2005
              I heard on the news all power is out in the Beaumont area, the main transmission lines. So he probably can't email anyone.
              Virginia
            • Nangotoo
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 25, 2005
                >>I e-mailed him but have not heard back from him.<<

                I heard from his cousins, Davis and Mary Lou today.  They saw my inquiry about him on the board.
                Sir John is fine.  Of course we know he decided to ride it out in Beaumont, which we know is in pretty bad shape right now.  There isn't any electricity, phone--no utilities at all.  He said that John said that he wouldn't be able to get back in if he left.

                He will be going to Ft. Worth next week.  Cousins are visiting his wife in the place she was evacuated to on Thurs.

                All good news for now, but I sure was concerned after seeing what we were seeing on TV.   :-)

                Nan

              • John L. Mikeska
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Hi Group,

                  Sir John rode out the storm o k, but loss of power was inconvenient.  Then loss of water was another thing.  Then, no sewer.  THAT DID IT!  Well, loss of natural gas due to broken meters, etc didn't help either.  Left Beaumont Sat about 10:30 AM and got to Fort Worth about midnight and staying with sister at present time.  Wife was admitted to hospital Sunday week ago, very weak and transfusion o k given hospital last night.  Will appreciate prayers for Helen, my wife of over 50 years . (We married when 7 years old, before some of you start figuring how old Mrs. Mikeska is!<G>) She needs all the prayers to get well, plus staying with Sir John that long - she has to be a tough person.  <G>  Doc said wife will be in hospital for minimum of 4 more weeks, so I will be on now and then.

                  Due to shortage of gasoline and no electricity up to about Huntsville, TX (and what stations saw fueling cars, had line several blocks lone!), old Sir John drive 50 MPH with no a/c from Beaumont to Fort Worth to save fuel!  Got within mile of Sis house and low fuel light came on. <G>

                  Suffered little damage to house when electric lines pulled from roof when tree limbs fell.  Other than that, yard clean up will about fix things.  Son came over with his pickup and pulled neigh- bors tree that fell across my driveway so I could get my car out of the garage.  Had to zig-zag way to I-10 because of fallen trees. Once got on I-10, made it o k.  Highway patrol blocking exists off I-10 preventing re-entrance to Beaumont.  People permitted to re-enter Bm't now to check damage and if want to stay at their homes, curfew 7 PM to 7 AM and must boil water, if on at residences.  Me, I have elecrtric stove, so can't boil water!

                  Sir John

                  Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                • delsmaj@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Sir John,

                    Glad to hear you are okey despite all the bumps in the road.  If you need anything while you are in Ft. Worth let me know.  Hope you wife pogresses well.  What a sad chain of events.

                    Del Smajstrla
                  • Debbie Ondrasek
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Sir John...Glad to hear that you made it through the storm safely.  Hope your wife gets to feeling better pretty soon.  Be careful while you're cleaning up down there.

                      Debbie O.

                      Don't let the chain of love end with you.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005

                        John:

                        Sorry to hear about your “young bride”.  She is in my prayers.

                        Denise

                      • Nangotoo
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 9, 2005

                          Happy Birthday, John.  May the angels guide you and protect you and yours through the year.

                          Nan
                        • John L. Mikeska
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 9, 2005
                            Thanks, Nan.  Still in Fort Worth and will be until Oct 21st and possibly longer.

                            Up date on Beaumont.  School started back Mn Oct 10th, some classes will be in portable buildings, per newspaper I'm able to read online.  Son said electrician at house 6 AM yesterday morning and worked a few houses getting meter box, pole, etc back up and ready for electric co to hook up, expected tomorrow.  (We live near a middle school, so lucky to be on that grid being hooked up)  Through free calls on cell phone on Sat and Sun, have advised few neighbors of condition their homes were in, per son's inspection.  Lucky we suffered the most damage, and about $1,500.

                            Would like to see Frank Mikula in Dallas and Joe Janeka (?) in Burleson while here, but staying with wife.  $3 @ gallon fuel keeps me pretty well parked, too.  LOL

                            Nangotoo <nangotoo@...> wrote:

                            Happy Birthday, John.  May the angels guide you and protect you and yours through the year.

                            Nan

                            Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                          • George Patrick
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 12, 2007
                              Sir John,
                              I take it back!  Your computer works just fine.  Here I am spending hours on my exercize  bike so that I don't have to keep buying larger jeans and you accomplish a better result with a couple of well-placed  keystrokes.

                              By the way, after viewing your picture my wife ask me to invite you to be our house guest one weekend.  On your behalf, I accepted her invitation for you.  Now, watcha goinna do!

                              George
                            • Nancy Sugarek
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 12, 2009
                                I've been enjoying the info on Sir John, but am curious?  Please, Sir John, tell us about your name.  I've been curious... where did it come from and how was it given to you?  Sounds like a fascinating story waiting in the wings.  (and if I missed it earlier, please indulge me a repeat explanation)
                                Nancy Sugarek
                              • Sir John
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 12, 2009
                                  Nancy, you evidently missed the post of how the name Sir John came about.  With apologies to the members, here's the post again:

                                  Jana,

                                  Hit the 'SEND" key by accident in previous message sent in answer to question if I am a knight.  No, and I was unaware of any nobility as you speak.  Am aware of Dr. Jan Mikeska, Prague, CR stating there were mayors and sheriff (as such) and judges by Mikeska name in Zadverice, Moravia area in 1700 I believe was he time era.

                                  I do have some nobility in my maternal grandparents side (one of the wives of King George was in family line and one of wives he killed).  I made up the title, live on Berkshire St so was fitting.  Used it kiddingly when I wrote computer club monthly newspaper to fill us needed space of newspaper and they never let me drop the moniker.  That was over 15 years ago now.  <G>

                                  Has been fun and made me red faced at times.  When flying with tour group from Newark, NJ to Prague in 2000, tour guide had it announced over the CZ aircraft that English Nobility was aboard, named Sir John.  I really don't think Queen Elizabeth knows me either.

                                  Sir John, Earl of Berkshire