Obituary of Russell "Buddy" DeDear

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      Obituary of Russell "Buddy" DeDear
      Shiner Gazette

      Russell "Buddy" DeDear Laid To Rest

      Russell "Buddy" DeDear of Yoakum, formerly of Shiner, entered eternal
      rest at 9:04 p.m. Thursday, February 8, 1990 in Stevens Nursing Home
      in Yoakum. He reached the age of 75 years, 11 months and 26 days.

      One of six children, he was born Feb. 12, 1914 in Hochheim to Henry
      and Eva (Kelly) DeDear. He was raised on the family farm and
      attended Hochheim School.

      On August 2, 1938 he was married to Anita Granz. One son, Dennis,
      was born to this marriage union. She passed away Jan. 16, 1953.

      On January 8, 1966, he was united in marriage with Selma Westphal.
      They made their home in Shiner until her husband became a resident of
      Stevens Nursing Home when Mrs. DeDear moved to be near her daughter.

      He was an employee of Kaspar Wire Works in Shiner for 39 years and
      was a member of United Dr. Martin Luther Church in Shiner.

      In 1951, "Buddy" DeDear enthusiastically joined Elton Zander and the
      late Adolph Sembera in organizing Little League Baseball in Shiner so
      their sons could play ball. DeDear put in 12 years with the youth
      baseball program in Shiner and was also involved when the Shiner
      Clippers Ball Club was organized.

      A prayer service conducted by Pastor Cooper was held Sat., Feb. 10 at
      6:00 p.m. at the Buffington Funeral Home Chapel in Shiner.

      Funeral services were held at 2:00 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 11 at United Dr.
      Martin Luther Church in Shiner with the Rev. Paul Cooper officiating.

      Burial followed in the Shiner City Cemetery. Serving as pallbearers
      were Billie Goetz, Jessie Canalas, Elton Zander, Laddie Stluka,
      George Albrecht, and Charlie Kurtz.

      Surviving are his wife, Selma DeDear of Yoakum, a stepdaughter, Mrs.
      Emil (Karen) Blaschke of Yoakum; two sisters, Mrs. Bob (Ann)
      McMeninam of Hazlett, N.Y., and Mrs. Otto (Willie Mae) Krum of Cuero;
      one grandson, Michael DeDear, serving with the Navy in Norfork, VA;
      and two step-grandchildren, Shannon and Sharene Blaschke of Yoakum.

      Mr. DeDear was preceded in death by his father, Nov. 16, 1972; his
      mother, Sept. 18, 1980; a son, Dennis Russell DeDear, Apr. 23, 1984;
      three brothers, Thomas Wayne DeDear, who died Aug. 27, 1939 at the
      age of 18 years; Clyde DeDear, Oct. 29, 1966; and Otis J. "Buck"
      DeDear, Aug. 24, 1985.

      Submitted by Brenda Lincke Fisseler
      Posted by Matt Cross
    • Nangotoo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        Well, finally one that has to do with my family.  This Buddy DeDear was my late g-aunt's brother.  Thanks, Matt.

        Nan
        San Diego.CA
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
          Nan,

          Note that Buddy DeDear is also listed as a pallbearer in Paul W.
          Malinovsky's obituary.

          Matt Cross
          Houston, TX