Re: [TexasCzechs] Immigrant Database Submissions

  • SRektorik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2000
    • SRektorik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2000
        Patrick Janis, I have a couple of questions for you or for whom ever is
        working on The Czech Immigrant Database:

        1. Is there a standard format we are using for names? Are we using all
        capital letters? I know this is standard in genealogical research; however,
        in a database that sure takes up space.

        2. Do we have a standardized format for entering dates? Do we want one?

        3. I noticed that there are only one or two entries for each last name. I
        don't know about everyone else but my folks came with from one to eight
        children. Each of them are immigrants. Are these to be added to the
        database?

        I think we might want to standardize now before we get much more data
        entered. What do you think?

        Susan Rektorik Henley
      • SRektorik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2000
          Patrick,

          Thanks for the recommendations. I will adjust my entries to reflect these
          standards. I also thought of another issue when I read your comments about
          sorting by ship name. One immigrant may have come by the Bark Jeverland
          while another by the S.S. Rhaetia. Again, when one sorts, would it be better
          if all were listed the ship as just "Jeverland" and "Rheatia" or is there a
          reason to include The "bark" and "S. S."?

          Susan Rektorik Henley