Re: [TexasCzechs] Names

  • Ray J. Bacak
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
      Janet, if you hear of such a list, let me know. I post current obituaries
      from time to time and often wonder whether some of the names are really
      Czech. Always wondered whether there was a meaning for my last name (Bacak)
      and found out through this group that it was derived from "Baca", who was
      the head shepherd of the Valachian sheep and goat herders. After then
      wondering how Czech I really was, finding out that, like many of us, we
      probably are more Moravian than Bohemian and then that even our Moravian
      heritage/country/part of Czech Republic got pretty much stifled and
      assimilated into the rest of the Czech Republic. Still proud to be Czech,
      though.

      Ray Bacak
      Plain Citizen of Corn Cob Hill, TX (not really a city, used to be a store
      and pool hall/beer joint north of Moulton,TX)
      Probable descendant of Valachian Goat Herders (dare I say gypsies? :>D )