Re: [TexasCzechs] Cotton Harvesting in South Texas

  • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2002
      You guys were lucky. I worked for a german, and he didn't feed us
      anything.

      Fortunately, Grandmother and Grandfather lived close by.

      Joe Janecka wrote:

      >On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:28:29 -0500, you wrote:
      >
      >>But working for the Czech farmers, the food at the frequent breaks was
      >>great, right?
      >>

      >It was called "svacina" with a hacek over the "c". Pronounced
      >Sva-chin-ah. Didn't always get kolaces though, sometimes only
      >fritters, (Bread dough, rolled flat, cut triangular and deep fried in
      >lard), and melas.
      >Cheers,
      >Joe
      >http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe

    • Gene Hirschman
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2002
        "J.D. Kotrla-Chipps" wrote:

        > Hey,....watch it! I resemble that remark.
        >
        > I picked cotton in Taylor for Mr Possman, out on old Hwy 95, by the
        > KTAE
        > radio tower.
        > SNIP

        > First bale was always a big deal, and worth a lot of money.
        > Sometimes school started late because the kids were still picking, but
        >
        > I do have to admit, that was before my time even. Dad told me about
        > it,
        > he said it happened to him a couple of times, Granger, and Taylor
        > would
        > sometimes have to wait till the season was over before school started.
        >
        > I imagine some other places too.

        Your right on target. I went to school in Granger and actually school
        would start a bit later because of cotton harvest but the farm kids,
        like me, didn't start on the first day even then, we would not actually
        start school until harvest was over or nearly over, as I recall, about 2
        weeks. I don't know about the public schools in Granger during that
        time, I went to SS Cyril & Methodious.

        First bale in Taylor, Bartlett, Granger and Holland was a big deal, it
        sold for quite a nice premium.....The first showing of the new car back
        then was a big deal too, but thats another story.

        Hershey - Albuquerque, NM I Whistle While I Work;-)
        Badges of the World - http://www.spinn.net/~hershey/badges.htm
        Stupid Referee Tricks - http://www.spinn.net/~hershey/referees.htm
      • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2002
          Gene Hirschman wrote:

          >Your right on target. I went to school in Granger and actually school
          >would start a bit later because of cotton harvest but the farm kids,
          >like me, didn't start on the first day even then, we would not actually
          >start school until harvest was over or nearly over, as I recall, about 2
          >weeks. I don't know about the public schools in Granger during that
          >time, I went to SS Cyril & Methodious.
          >
          >First bale in Taylor, Bartlett, Granger and Holland was a big deal, it
          >sold for quite a nice premium.....The first showing of the new car back
          >then was a big deal too, but thats another story.

          My father started school there at Granger abt 1918. I know he was eight
          years old, so they started him in the third grade. Not sure why he
          didn't start when he turned six, but he didn't, and they didn't know he
          had never been to school, so they started him in the third grade. His
          teacher used to punish him, because he wouldn't mind her. She said he
          was stubborn, and wouldn't mind when she told him to do something. It
          wasn't till several months later that she learned he didn't understand
          english, he only spoke czech.

          Years later he returned to Granger as the principal, and head football
          coach, and that same lady was still teaching the third grade. I told my
          father that I would have given her her instructions in czech, and kept
          her after school till she complied.

          But my father came back, without hesitation, and replied, "No son,
          that's why she is still teaching third grade, and I'm the principal".

          Not sure of the date on this photograph, but it's around that time. Who
          knows, my father may be in the picture.

          I started first grade there in 1944. And I'm pretty sure that there is
          still only one public school there, 1-12 grades. I didn't even know
          they had catholic schools there when I went. We never heard from those
          kids. They were from the "├Âther side of the tracks".

        • Janet Tucker
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2002
            I enjoyed your story about the school teacher and your father.
            Unfortunately, I couldn't open the picture. Did anyone else have a problem?
            thanks,
            Jan
          • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2002