Re: [TexasCzechs] Cotton Harvesting in South Texas

  • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1 1:28 PM
      Hey,....watch it! I resemble that remark.

      I picked cotton in Taylor for Mr Possman, out on old Hwy 95, by the KTAE
      radio tower.

      Picked for $3.00/hundred, pulled for $1.75. Cotton was graded in
      staples. We usually had staple 7 from picking, and staple 5 from
      pulling, because of the damage to the fibers in ginning the bolls, and
      leaves out. Now-a-days they are lucky to get staple 3 cotton, and
      because of the chemicals the strands are only half as strong as they
      used to be too. That's one of the reasons your Levi's don't last like
      they used to.

      Second picking wasn't as good as the first, and pulling was after the
      second picking. Some of the more "progressive" farmers of the day used
      geese, instead of chopping cotton. Seems geese don't like cotton, and
      will eat everything except cotton, which saves a lot of chopping.
      Yupper, did a lot of that too, and I don't want to hear you
      whippersnappers making wisecracks about it. Kept most of you fed and
      educated, especially here in Williamson county.

      We had 210 acres, and seems like a 12 acre cotton allotment, which we
      sold to the bigger farmers like Possman. Wasn't hardly worth doing 12
      acres. First bale was always a big deal, and worth a lot of money.
      Sometimes school started late because the kids were still picking, but
      I do have to admit, that was before my time even. Dad told me about it,
      he said it happened to him a couple of times, Granger, and Taylor would
      sometimes have to wait till the season was over before school started.
      I imagine some other places too.

      Used to rotate crops back in those days, cotton one year, peanuts the
      next to put the nitrogen back in the soil. Never harvested the peanuts,
      just plowed them under, and next year, ready to go with the cash crop,
      cotton. Williamson county was the cotton center of Texas in those days.
      Produced more, and better cotton than anywhere else in the state.

      Joe Janecka wrote:

      >On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:30:08 -0500, you wrote:
      >
      >>Do they really just pick the cotton only one time? I thought that they
      >>picked at least twice.
      >>

      >I'm one of the old codgers that remembers picking cotton before the
      >advent of all the machinery. Yes, when cotton was picked by hand it
      >was usually picked twice. The cotton was not defoliated as it is now,
      >so it allowed some of the smaller bolls to mature before picking.
      >Most of the Czech farmers, who are usually quite frugal, even went out
      >the third time and pulled the remaining bolls. The hand picked cotton
      >was usually a very high grade and brought top dollar. The cotton from
      >the bolls was very low grade.
      >
      >Of course, back then 100 acres was considered a large farm. I've
      >known folks who sharecropped 60 acres and still were able to send
      >their sons to college. (Czechs, of course!)
      >
      >Susan has a great site, doesn't she?
      >
      >>Thanks for a great article. Haven't looked at the pictures yet, but am
      >>quite confident that they are great as well.
      >>

      >Cheers,
      >Joe
      >http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe

    • Ray J. Bacak
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1 2:46 PM
        I was a city slicker (edge of Flatonia, if that's "city") but cotton picking
        used to put a new shirt or two in the closet for school. Hot work.
        Shoulder still hurts thinking about tugging those pick sacks.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1 3:24 PM
          Hardest work I've ever done in my life, and the most rewarding! I
          wouldn't have missed it for the world.

          Not just hot, but bending over, pulling a 100# sack along with you till
          it filled up, weigh it, empty it, and start all over again.

          When I first started, my grandmother would have to get me out of bed,
          because I couldn't stand up by myself, my back hurt so bad. But she
          would rub some of this "special ointment" on my back, and 1/2 hour or so
          later I could stand up, and even walk around a little. Then, before the
          sun was even up, and it was getting light, I'd be starting down my first
          row for the day.

          I remember we would have ot knock off between 12-2 pm, because it was
          too hot to pick, then we'd start all over again till it was too dark to see.

          Like I say, hardest work I've ever done in my life, and I'm so grateful
          for having had the opportunity to do something that is now a part of
          history.

          God Bless all Cotton-pickers!!

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1 8:28 PM
            But working for the Czech farmers, the food at the frequent breaks was
            great, right?

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > >>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Joe Janecka
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2 6:17 AM
              On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:28:29 -0500, you wrote:

              >But working for the Czech farmers, the food at the frequent breaks was
              >great, right?

              It was called "svacina" with a hacek over the "c". Pronounced
              Sva-chin-ah. Didn't always get kolaces though, sometimes only
              fritters, (Bread dough, rolled flat, cut triangular and deep fried in
              lard), and melas.
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2 6:51 AM
                You guys were lucky. I worked for a german, and he didn't feed us
                anything.

                Fortunately, Grandmother and Grandfather lived close by.

                Joe Janecka wrote:

                >On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:28:29 -0500, you wrote:
                >
                >>But working for the Czech farmers, the food at the frequent breaks was
                >>great, right?
                >>

                >It was called "svacina" with a hacek over the "c". Pronounced
                >Sva-chin-ah. Didn't always get kolaces though, sometimes only
                >fritters, (Bread dough, rolled flat, cut triangular and deep fried in
                >lard), and melas.
                >Cheers,
                >Joe
                >http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe

              • Gene Hirschman
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 4 4:32 PM
                  "J.D. Kotrla-Chipps" wrote:

                  > Hey,....watch it! I resemble that remark.
                  >
                  > I picked cotton in Taylor for Mr Possman, out on old Hwy 95, by the
                  > KTAE
                  > radio tower.
                  > SNIP

                  > First bale was always a big deal, and worth a lot of money.
                  > Sometimes school started late because the kids were still picking, but
                  >
                  > I do have to admit, that was before my time even. Dad told me about
                  > it,
                  > he said it happened to him a couple of times, Granger, and Taylor
                  > would
                  > sometimes have to wait till the season was over before school started.
                  >
                  > I imagine some other places too.

                  Your right on target. I went to school in Granger and actually school
                  would start a bit later because of cotton harvest but the farm kids,
                  like me, didn't start on the first day even then, we would not actually
                  start school until harvest was over or nearly over, as I recall, about 2
                  weeks. I don't know about the public schools in Granger during that
                  time, I went to SS Cyril & Methodious.

                  First bale in Taylor, Bartlett, Granger and Holland was a big deal, it
                  sold for quite a nice premium.....The first showing of the new car back
                  then was a big deal too, but thats another story.

                  Hershey - Albuquerque, NM I Whistle While I Work;-)
                  Badges of the World - http://www.spinn.net/~hershey/badges.htm
                  Stupid Referee Tricks - http://www.spinn.net/~hershey/referees.htm
                • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4 5:36 PM
                    Gene Hirschman wrote:

                    >Your right on target. I went to school in Granger and actually school
                    >would start a bit later because of cotton harvest but the farm kids,
                    >like me, didn't start on the first day even then, we would not actually
                    >start school until harvest was over or nearly over, as I recall, about 2
                    >weeks. I don't know about the public schools in Granger during that
                    >time, I went to SS Cyril & Methodious.
                    >
                    >First bale in Taylor, Bartlett, Granger and Holland was a big deal, it
                    >sold for quite a nice premium.....The first showing of the new car back
                    >then was a big deal too, but thats another story.

                    My father started school there at Granger abt 1918. I know he was eight
                    years old, so they started him in the third grade. Not sure why he
                    didn't start when he turned six, but he didn't, and they didn't know he
                    had never been to school, so they started him in the third grade. His
                    teacher used to punish him, because he wouldn't mind her. She said he
                    was stubborn, and wouldn't mind when she told him to do something. It
                    wasn't till several months later that she learned he didn't understand
                    english, he only spoke czech.

                    Years later he returned to Granger as the principal, and head football
                    coach, and that same lady was still teaching the third grade. I told my
                    father that I would have given her her instructions in czech, and kept
                    her after school till she complied.

                    But my father came back, without hesitation, and replied, "No son,
                    that's why she is still teaching third grade, and I'm the principal".

                    Not sure of the date on this photograph, but it's around that time. Who
                    knows, my father may be in the picture.

                    I started first grade there in 1944. And I'm pretty sure that there is
                    still only one public school there, 1-12 grades. I didn't even know
                    they had catholic schools there when I went. We never heard from those
                    kids. They were from the "├Âther side of the tracks".

                  • Janet Tucker
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 5 12:04 AM
                      I enjoyed your story about the school teacher and your father.
                      Unfortunately, I couldn't open the picture. Did anyone else have a problem?
                      thanks,
                      Jan
                    • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 5 5:50 AM