Corey Barton

  • Russell Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2002
      Welcome Back to the Group!  Do you have lots of photos?  I bet Doris and I would like to compare photos  with you sometime.  I have many that aren't identified - and Doris is good at finding the right person to identify the photos.

      Kathy
    • corey_barton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 29, 2002
        I would have to give an unqualified "YES". Like I said, I've got
        boxes and boxes of stuff to go through. Most of the stuff on the
        Barton side though is still at my grandmother's. I'm still trying to
        come up with a good organizing plan before I go and "digtitize"
        everything, otherwise I'll just end up with 1000s of meaningless
        files. I'm sure there's tons of new information I could gather by
        digging through them. I think my most pressing need is to make sure
        they're all properly preserved and distributed. I'd hate to know
        that everything was lost in a house fire or something, so I want to
        scan EVERYTHING and burn it all on several sets of cd's to be kept at
        multiple locations. It's a monumental task ahead of me; It's hard to
        know where to start. (Great, now that I've got that "Sound of Music"
        song stuck in my head.) I'll see if I can't get a scanner within the
        next week and let you all know how it's going.

        Corey

        --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Russell Smith" <rasmith@o...> wrote:
        > Welcome Back to the Group! Do you have lots of photos? I bet
        Doris and I would like to compare photos with you sometime. I have
        many that aren't identified - and Doris is good at finding the right
        person to identify the photos.

        > Kathy
      • d_barton_coats
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2002
          Hi Corey,
          I am a relatively new member to this group but have heard about you
          from a few members. It's a great group of people and I am
          thankful
          to have found such helpful and sharing people. I have you in my
          family tree and am wondering if you have me in yours.

          I am in the same boat you are in regards to being overwhelmed with
          information to document. I stopped researching about 10 years ago
          because it was taking so much time and I kept coming up against brick
          walls (before the computer and internet age). Now I am trying to get
          it all on the computer. Anyway, I would love to compare information
          with you sometime.

          Doris
          Researching: Barton Drgac Kudelka Marek
        • John M Janacek
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2002
            I have found that compiling information is very time consuming, however,
            Ancestry.com offers free software that makes data collection easy. I
            used to enter the information manually (over 500 pages!) until I found
            this software. Now, it takes a few seconds and I have entered several
            generations and hundreds of pages of information in the blink of an eye.

            To make the sharing of information easier, try to save your information
            in GEDCOM format. There are several programs available that do this, but
            Ancestry.com is free. When someone asks for information of a particular
            surname, you simply e-mail the gedcom file, and it can be merged, or
            combined with what information you already have.

            By using this software, I was able to increase my family database from
            500 individuals to over 1,300 in a matter of days. The information age
            is truly a blessing, the sharing of genealogical information is much
            faster and much easier than even a few years ago.

            If there are any questions regarding gedcom files, please feel free to
            contact me.

            Sincerely,
            John M. Janacek
            Researching: JANACEK, PETER(S), KORENEK, SZCZEPANSKI
          • Corey Barton
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2002
              Doris,

              I'm not sure that I have much information to share. What I do have,
              you can find at my feeble attempt at keeping a website up to date:

              http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cbarton

              I hope this helps some. Let me know if you see any gaping holes. :)

              Corey

              --- d_barton_coats <coats@...> wrote:
              > Hi Corey,
              > I am a relatively new member to this group but have heard about you
              > from a few members. It's a great group of people and I am
              > thankful
              > to have found such helpful and sharing people. I have you in my
              > family tree and am wondering if you have me in yours.
              >
              > I am in the same boat you are in regards to being overwhelmed with
              > information to document. I stopped researching about 10 years ago
              > because it was taking so much time and I kept coming up against brick
              >
              > walls (before the computer and internet age). Now I am trying to get
              >
              > it all on the computer. Anyway, I would love to compare information
              > with you sometime.
              >
              > Doris
              > Researching: Barton Drgac Kudelka Marek

              http://health.yahoo.com
            • D. Coats
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002

                Corey,

                Thanks for directing me to your website…very impressive.  What!!!  You don’t have me in your family tree????? J

                (she said in humor).  I haven’t had a chance to really dig into it yet, but I will when time allows.

                I can appreciate (too well) that your first priority is to preserve and organize what you have.  And I know how hard it is to find extra time, but let me know if you ever find any and want to compare info and pictures.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002

                  Thanks John,

                  I recently bought a program called Family Tree Maker.  Although I have not had a chance to read the BOOK that came with, I am muddling through and getting the hang of it.  I have to say that I am pretty slow at it though, mostly because it is hard to find the time to sit down and work with it.  I, however, like it a lot.  When I get enough entered and get to the point of sharing, it is nice to know I can get some help.

                  Doris

                  Researching: Barton Kudelka Drgac Marek