Floods

  • Nangotoo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2002
      I haven't seen any mention of the floods yet on this mailing list, but I have to ask--how are all of you?  We left South-Central TX just in time--on the day that it started raining there last month.  We had no idea at the time that there was disaster coming up, but later,we were very glad that we left to come home when we did.  All of the places where we stayed while we were in TX have been underwater lately.  My aunts, uncles and cousins are all safe in higher places and/or have been sandbagging and two of my cousins and their families are now staying with their mothers until they can get back into their homes along the rivers.  We were there to visit and do research and I found that 1)Texas mosquitoes still like me a lot no matter what I use to keep them away, 2) the really good Kolaches are still in West, and 3) Texans are the nicest, most polite people and that hasn't changed, 4) times haven't changed--everything still closes at noon and the sidewalks roll up at 5:00 pm., and 5) those bar-b-que places are still fantastic.  I hadn't been back there in many years and my husband had never been to South/Central TX (translated Czech-German) so Mom and I had fun showing him around and giving him a feel for the places and culture we have told him about.

      If anyone is from the Hill Country, could you write a little about how the recovery is going around you?        Nan from CA