Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: new member Doris

  • george patrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
      Hi Pat,
      On your families list, I noticed Zapalac which I think we have discussed
      before. Could you refresh my memory? Do you have info. on the GG(?)
      grandmother Zapalac who would have been born in Moravia in the 1810s or
      1820s? If so, who did she marry?

      The more I look at this the more I am convinced that Martin Stepan along
      with 5 family members and the Zapalac family with a large number of family
      members arrived in Galveston in June, 1855 on the Von Vinek and, for some
      reason, were traveling under the names: "Stephan" and Zatalates". See IDB
      @GSM. The Von Venek sailed from Germany which means a German crew
      transporting a large group of Moravians so perhaps the person responsible
      for preparint the passenger list "wrote what his ears heard".

      According to a family researcher, they settled in Washington County and are
      buried in Wesley Cemetery. Seems like everything I look at fits except the
      spelling of the last names.

      Just a thought,

      George