Farming--When the Ox is in the Ditch

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8 11:43 PM
      I have to admit, this is an unusual year. At about 1:25 a.m. this morning, the barking of our dog awoke me. I looked out the front windows and saw orange lights everywhere.  Across the road and in front of the house, combines, tractors with grain buggies, and at least three large trucks were stopped along the road. Behind them, lightening lit the sky. Wow, the oxen are certainly in the ditch!

      While other parts of the state had over thirty inches of rain recently, we had around five this past weekend bringing the total since November up to around 8.5 inches. It was so dry that the five inches over this past weekend did not even stand. By today, I could walk the dirt road between our houses on the farm. It is, however, what I consider too wet to get heavy equipment in the fields. But, rains are supposed to set in again tomorrow. Farmers with ripe milo still in the fields are doing what they can to get it out.

      Although it is very dark (new of the moon almost), I can tell that the combine is the only machine traversing the whole field. The tractor with the grain buggy is meeting them towards this end where the soil is sandier and ever so slightly higher.

      What a chance they are taking...hard to get a combine out when stuck. And, the dew set in hours ago. This means the moisture content of the milo will be higher and the grain elevator will assess drying fees.

      But, the alternative is to leave the milo in the field. If mature milo stays wet, the seeds sprout in the heads of the plant and the crop is lost.

      Well, they have now given up. Either they finished a truck or the field is still too wet.

      Being close to farming again certainly has made me refocus on the perils of farming that still exist.

      Susan