Re: [TexasCzechs] Need Recipe for Segedinsky Gulas!

  • Carolyn Louviere
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002

      Goulash with sauerkraut
      Segedinsky gulas
      Serves 4 - 6 people
      Ingredients:

      750g (1 1/2lb) pork, cut into 2 cm (1 inch) cubes
      1 medium onion, chopped
      500 ml sauerkraut
      250 ml (1 cup) milk
      2 tbs. vegetable oil
      1 tbs. flour or cornstarch
      Paprika powder to taste
      Ground Caraway Seeds to taste
      Salt and Pepper to taste

      Preparation:

      1. In a pan, add the oil and the onion.  Cook for 1 minute.
      2. Add cubed meat, paprika powder, ground caraway seeds, salt, and pepper.  Cook until the meat is browned (10
          -15 min)
      3. After the meat is browned and 250 ml (1 cup) of water, cover and let cook until the meat is soft.
      4. Add the sauerkraut and a little more water to reach the consistency of a stew.  Cover and let simmer for another 15 min or until the sauerkraut is soft.
      5. Dissolve 1 tbs. of flour or cornstarch in the milk and add to the Goulash. Mix well.  Cook for a few more minutes and serve.

      This dish should be served with dumplings or fresh rye bread.
      .....thanks,
      Carolyn Theuber Louviere
      Houston, Tx 77092
      Home:
      ctheuber@...
      Researching:
      Spacek,  Kubena, Kubicek,  Pradeczka, Stefek, Peter,
      Haluschka, Muran, Theuber,  Hein, Hait, Cabron, Fraitier
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
        Yummmmmmmmmmm! I might have to try this out this weekend if the wet
        weather keeps up. Sounds like a rib-sticker! Thanks for sharing!

        Anita Berka