Re: [TexasCzechs] SPJST Library & Museum Photos

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
      Great photos!  Now I've always been curious....where does the "Sir" come from????/
      Jan

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
        Jan,

        I learned 3 or 4 years ago, through my double cousin, that we were kin to a King of England, George I think (One that beheaded his wives :-(  ) by marriage.  I was the editor of the local computer monthly newsletter at the time and I wrote up articles how to install program, delete files, etc.  I made comment the computer club now had royalty among the members and advised what I had found out.  I signed the article Sir John, Earl of Berkshire, being King John was a little too much.  I live on Berkshire Lane, which is English sounding, don'cha think?  Well, I tried dripping the Sir John bit but the computer club members wouldn't have any part of it <G>  It has stuck with me.....

        My cousin took a title for herself, while her husband just says he is 'Keeper of the Moat'.  They are the couple in the photo taken at the Mozart Cafe, Vienna, Austria and in the March 02 Cesky Hlas.

        Sir John
      • Nangotoo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002

          >>I learned 3 or 4 years ago, through my double cousin, that we were kin to a King of England, George I think (One that beheaded his wives :-(  ) by marriage<<

          John,  I think it was King Henry VIII who beheaded his wives for various inflated reasons (like not providing him an heir).  There were several King George's, too, but I don't know if they killed their mates.  If I remember my history, one of the Georges was a really weak, rather insane man, but of course, you couldn't be descended from that one, right?  :-)    Nan
        • Leroy Janda
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
            I think that the wife that Henry beheaded was Anne of Bohemia. Not real sure.

            On Wednesday 10 July 2002 04:42 am, you wrote:

            > > a King of England, George I think (One that beheaded his wives :-( ) by
            > > marriage<<
            >
            > John, I think it was King Henry VIII who beheaded his wives for various
            > inflated reasons (like not providing him an heir). There were several King
            > George's, too, but I don't know if they killed their mates. If I remember
            > my history, one of the Georges was a really weak, rather insane man, but of
            > course, you couldn't be descended from that one, right? :-) Nan
          • John L. Mikeska
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
              Nan,

              You're right about King Henry VIII, thanks to my cousin, Keeper of the Moat!

              mates.  If I remember my history, one of the Georges was a really weak, rather insane man, but of course, you couldn't be descended from that one, right?  :-)

              Nan, this really sounds like me!!!!!  <G>

              O K every one - come to the Sokol/CHS Festival in Ennis, TX  Saturday Aug 3rd and meet Sir John at the eGroups table.  eGroups is short for electronic groups of the TexasCzechs list.  I will be able to explain how to turn your computer on and off, and maybe a little bit more.  Be sure to bring kolaches!  <G>  (Not Really - when you see me, you will think I down two dozen daily!)  I might be talked into singing the BRUSH YOUR TEETH WITH SANAFLUSH song!

              Sir John

              ---