Re: [TexasCzechs] Interesting Czech sites....

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 2 5:58 PM
      Another question.....What interesting sights (esp. Czech) can we see on a day trip (or two) from College Station to San Antonio?    Needs to be something that can be seen on a Sunday for sure....  Thanks!!
      Jan

    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 2 8:46 PM
        Jan,

        I am not really qualified to answer you question but to start with, Bryan has many Czechs; Caldwell is 25 to 30 minute drive and you better like Czech people if you stop anywhere in that town!  La Grange is on the way and is/and going to be more of a Czech cultural center, etc.  Nearby is Frenstate, New Ulm, Wesley and the Wesley church and very well kept cemetery, considering it's age, at the church.

        Actually, I think you would have to consider driving time and pick and choose what you want to see.

        Sir John
        Another question.....What interesting sights (esp. Czech) can we see on a day trip (or two) from College Station to San Antonio?    Needs to be something that can be seen on a Sunday for sure....  Thanks!!
        Jan

      • markpustka
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3 9:44 AM
          It's probably about a 3 hour or so trip from B-CS but you may want to
          consider a trip to the "Painted Churches of Texas" as described in
          more detail on the link to the website below.
          http://www.klru.org/paintedchurches/map.html

          --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Jan" <toni@s...> wrote:
          > Another question.....What interesting sights (esp. Czech) can we
          see on a day trip (or two) from College Station to San Antonio?
          Needs to be something that can be seen on a Sunday for sure....
          Thanks!!
          > Jan
          >
          > http://joekopecky.homestead.com
          > http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html
        • Anita Berka
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 3 12:11 PM
            Jan,

            The Burleson County Czech Heritage Museum is in Caldwell. It's in a
            restored home 2 blocks south of Hwy. 21. Can't remember the name of the
            street, but if you're coming into Caldwell from Bastrop, when you get to
            Caldwell, at the 2nd traffic light on 21 there will be a Shell station
            on your right. Go one block past and turn right onto the next street.
            Go a couple of blocks and you should see the house/museum. Now, it's
            small, but they have some interesting items. You may need to contact
            the BCCHS to make arrangements to see it; I don't think it's open every
            day.

            Turn right on to Hwy. 36 South and go to FM 976 to go to Frenstat; the
            cemetary has some wonderfully decorative old wrought iron markers in it.

            Take 976 back to Hwy. 36S and go to Lyons and then take FM 60 to Snook
            (which used to be called Sebesta). If you're hungry, there's a great
            little restaurant in "downtown Snook" called "CzechTex". Not a lot of
            authentic Czech items on the menu, but it's good and reasonable.
            Unfortunately, I think the Snook Bakery has closed down permanently, or
            I'd say get your kolaches there. (You can stop at the bakery in
            Caldwell, but I wouldn't recommend it. The last time I had kolaches
            from there, they were using canned pie filling - yuck!)

            And, watch the signs as you're driving to Snook so you don't miss the
            Starlight Ballroom on FM3058 (I think). Used to be an open-air dance
            floor, but they put up a roof several years ago. :-)

            Stay on Hwy. 21 and go through Caldwell on your way to Bryan and you'll
            go through Smetana (milk); I can't recall if the Czech's named it that
            because there were a lot of dairymen or if it was because they thought
            Texas was the land of milk and honey. I know I've heard the story, but
            don't remember it.

            Personally, I'd avoid Bryan/College Station and head to Brenham and
            Round Top and Chappell Hill and Warrenton and back thataway.

            That's about all I can think of. I'll grant you that it's not very
            exciting - metropolitan-wise, but it sure is green and peaceful - and a
            nice drive!

            Anita Berka
          • Jan
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 6 9:52 AM
              Just wanted to thank all of you for suggestions, on Czech places and places
              to stay. We are actually taking my cat to the small animal clinic at A&M.
              This is not our first trip by far. We have also driven past the Czech
              Heritage Museum many times, but it was always closed. We thought if we went
              a day early, we might be able to actually enjoy the trip a little instead of
              making a dead race for A&M and back. We have some awesome places to see
              now!! I'm not sure at this pont if it will be a one or two day trip. B/c
              of all the SA flooding, we changed to appt. from Monday to later in the
              week. Thanks to all of you again!!
              : - )
              Jan

              http://joekopecky.homestead.com
              http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html
              > The Burleson County Czech Heritage Museum is in Caldwell. It's in a
              > restored home 2 blocks south of Hwy. 21. Can't remember the name of the
              > street, but if you're coming into Caldwell from Bastrop, when you get to
              > Caldwell, at the 2nd traffic light on 21 there will be a Shell station
              > on your right. Go one block past and turn right onto the next street.
              > Go a couple of blocks and you should see the house/museum. Now, it's
              > small, but they have some interesting items. You may need to contact
              > the BCCHS to make arrangements to see it; I don't think it's open every
              > day.
              >
              > Turn right on to Hwy. 36 South and go to FM 976 to go to Frenstat; the
              > cemetary has some wonderfully decorative old wrought iron markers in it.
              >
              > Take 976 back to Hwy. 36S and go to Lyons and then take FM 60 to Snook
              > (which used to be called Sebesta). If you're hungry, there's a great
              > little restaurant in "downtown Snook" called "CzechTex". Not a lot of
              > authentic Czech items on the menu, but it's good and reasonable.
              > Unfortunately, I think the Snook Bakery has closed down permanently, or
              > I'd say get your kolaches there. (You can stop at the bakery in
              > Caldwell, but I wouldn't recommend it. The last time I had kolaches
              > from there, they were using canned pie filling - yuck!)
              >
              > And, watch the signs as you're driving to Snook so you don't miss the
              > Starlight Ballroom on FM3058 (I think). Used to be an open-air dance
              > floor, but they put up a roof several years ago. :-)
              >
              > Stay on Hwy. 21 and go through Caldwell on your way to Bryan and you'll
              > go through Smetana (milk); I can't recall if the Czech's named it that
              > because there were a lot of dairymen or if it was because they thought
              > Texas was the land of milk and honey. I know I've heard the story, but
              > don't remember it.
              >
              > Personally, I'd avoid Bryan/College Station and head to Brenham and
              > Round Top and Chappell Hill and Warrenton and back thataway.
              >
              > That's about all I can think of. I'll grant you that it's not very
              > exciting - metropolitan-wise, but it sure is green and peaceful - and a
              > nice drive!
              >
              > Anita Berka

            • george patrick
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 8 6:20 PM
                Sir John,
                Do you know if the Wesley Cemetery is available on-line and, if so, what is the website?  Is the Wesley Church and Wesley Cemetery in Washington County?  I have not had an opportunity to visit but according to a relative's information, my GG grandfather, Martin Stepan and his wife, Rozale 'Zapalac' Stepan are buried there.

                Thanks in advance for any info. you or anyone else on the group may provide.

                George

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 9 1:19 AM
                  George,

                  The church and cemetery appear to 'just' be inside the County line.  I've only been there once and was last summer.  I doubt if the Wesley Church has a web site.  However, I believe the are books with names of people buried at the cemetery.

                  Hopefully someone on this list may see your message and help you.

                  Sir John

                • george patrick
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 9 6:05 AM
                    Thanks, Sir John,
                    I was doing some research about early Caldwell County and found that some extensive re-drawing of the county boundry lines occurred early on.  It seems that some locations just got left off of everyone's maps, yet, everyone knows they are there.  I'm beginning to think that the Wesley Cemetery might be one of these places!

                    As soon as my girls get back in school, I'm going to make an interesting field trip one day.  I'm going to visit 2 GG grandfathers, one born in Moravia in the 1820s and one born in Virginia in th 1810s and both ending up within spitting distance of each other.  John Ronemus Eager, on my mother's side, died and is buried near Prairie Lea, Caldwell County, and Martin Stepan and his  wife, on my father's side, are buried in Wesley Cemetery, county unknown.

                    Thanks again,
                    George
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 9 8:36 AM
                      Hi George,
                      The "Cemeteries of Austin County, Texas" list the following
                      Stepans buried at the Wesley Cemetery: Ashley Bill, Donna Lee, Frank V,
                      Lydia, Marie, Martin, Rozalive, and William. Dates shown for Rozalive
                      are: March 1836 -- 6 Apr 1906 and, for Martin: 12 Feb 1826 -- 8 Mar 1898.

                      There's another handful of Stepans buried at National Cemetery in
                      Nelsonville. Most likely these Stepans will have a connection to those
                      buried at Wesley. You'll want to use Washington County in your database
                      and add a note that also points to Austin County.
                      Wesley is officially a part of Washington County, Texas, but
                      because of the Brethren Church connections between Wesley and Nelsonville
                      (and Caldwell in Burleson Co) is often shown in records dealing with
                      Austin County - Birthplace of Czech Immigration to Texas!
                      Another place you'll want to visit is The Czech Heritage
                      Society's Library & Archives in Houston. Many birth and death records of
                      the Brethren Churches are to be found there. Contact information is
                      available at the CHS website: www.czechheritage.org
                      Rick Garza
                      Sharing. It's what it's all about!
                      http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

                      .

                      On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 08:05:28 -0500 "george patrick" <> writes:
[...]

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                    • george patrick
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 9 12:05 PM
                        Thanks, Rick,
                        I think you solved the puzzle. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't finding
                        my folks in the Washington county data bases which are fairly comprehensive.
                        I appreciate you taking the time to look some place I would never of thought
                        of looking.

                        My grandmother, Mary Stepan, was the oldest child of Martin and Rozayle (sp)
                        who are buried at Wesley. My grandmother was born in Brenham, 1883, and, as
                        I mentioned in another posting, her parents were Martin and Marie 'Zabcek'
                        Stepan whose marriage license was issued in 1882 in Washington County.

                        All of this adds to my suspicion that the June 14, 1855, passenger list for
                        the Von Vinek, arriving from Breman, somehow made two errors when the names
                        were entered on the passenger list, i.e., Stepan was misprinted as "Stephan"
                        and Zapalac was misprinted as "Zapalates". Anyone researching either Stepan
                        or Zapalac may want to check out the Galveston Seaport Museum database to
                        see if this information fits your research.

                        Thanks again, Rick,

                      • Nangotoo@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 10 2:54 AM
                          >>>It's probably about a 3 hour or so trip from B-CS but you may want to
                          consider a trip to the "Painted Churches of Texas" as described in
                          more detail on the link to the website below.
                          http://www.klru.org/paintedchurches/map.html<<<

                          If you don't have time to see all of them, do make sure you see the painted churches at Ammansville and at High Hill.  We went to see them in June and they are both breathtaking in their beauty!  I took two full rolls of film in those two churches.  My g-g grandmother is buried in the Ammansville (St. John's) Catholic cemetery.  To our delight, we stopped by in Ammansville, unknowingly beforehand, on the day of the picnic this year.  I started grinning from ear to ear when I heard the music as I got out of the motorhome. We didn't stay for the picnic, but we really enjoyed our visit to the church and cemetery and met some nice people there.             Nan

                        • Gilbert Bohuslav
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 10 6:31 AM
                            Wonderful!!!  All of US people from Ammansville are nice and friendly.  Every time I go home and go to mass at the Ammansville church I marvel at how much interest is paid to something we thought was just "another church".

                            Gilbert

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 10 10:00 PM
                              George,

                              You are going to enjoy visiting the Wesley Brethren Church and cemetery - be sure to take your camera!  The tree, of 2 huge Oaks (?) on the property, located toward the rear of the cemetery will vie as one of Texas largest, IMHO.  If only that tree could talk, so much would be added in our history I imagine.  Rick Garza toured me through the area last summer after we had a pre conference meeting of the Caldwell CHS meeting last summer.  If you did not know the area, would be just a sleepy day's drive down a country lane.  But Rick was pointing out this, that, "Sir John, slow down, you're driving too fast!"  (Probably 35 mph <G>)   There is so much history all over that area. I have noted a couple remarks of a Mikeska kin 'buried behind the Wesley Church' but I found no marker for him.

                              Enjoy the trip.

                              Sir John

                               I'm going to make an interesting field trip one day.  I'm going to visit 2 GG grandfathers, one born in Moravia in the 1820s and one born in Virginia in th 1810s and both ending up within spitting distance of each other.  John Ronemus Eager, on my mother's side, died and is buried near Prairie Lea, Caldwell County, and Martin Stepan and his  wife, on my father's side, are buried in Wesley Cemetery, county unknown.

                              ---
                            • DENNIS D MASAR
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 12 3:32 PM
                                George

                                The Wesley Church & Cemetery are just in Austin Co, Tx. I have visited it many times. My wife was born& lived a "stone's throw" from both.

                                "The Ccemeteries of Austin County, Texas" published by the Austin County Historical Society lists lists the names etc of those buried there starting on page 448.  Martin Stephan is listed on that page as b 12 February 1826 d 8 March 1898.

                                Dennis

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 12 6:46 PM
                                  Thanks Dennis,
                                  I plan a visit real soon and I'll let you and the group know how it goes.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 14 10:07 PM
                                    In a message dated 7/10/02 6:32:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time, bohuslav@... writes:

                                    Wonderful!!!  All of US people from Ammansville are nice and friendly.  Every time I go home and go to mass at the Ammansville church I marvel at how much interest is paid to something we thought was just "another church".

                                    Gilbert,

                                    That is definately not just "another church" in the eyes of the people "from the outside" who visits it.  Its beautiful.  You can tell that the people who built and painted the church wanted it to be a special place to worship God.

                                    Nan