Re: [TexasCzechs] SPJST Library & Museum Photos

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
      On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:22:35 -0500, you wrote:

      >I posted about 12 photos of the SPJST building, library and museum I made in November 1999. They are not the best of photos, but I believe many memories will be brought back viewing them. Especially the ladies when they see the display of irons that used either kerosene or 'white' gas in a tank mounted behind the handle. If gas was not used, someone correct me, please.

      Yep John, moma used to have one of those that used white gas. They
      worked real good, especially on old cotton clothes that were always
      very wrinkled when they came out of the wash. They went along with
      the old cooked "Fault,ess" starch and the bottle of "blueing", for
      white shirts.
      Cheers,
      Joe
      http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
            Joe,

        I thought some of the irons used white gas, but wasn't sure.  Forgot about the Bluing - I often wondered how clothes supposed to get whiter when you put blue liquid in the wash! But if you got bit by a red ant, take the Bluing, turn it up-side-down to get the cork stopper soaked, and then pull and dob it on the ant bite.  Helped, and sure made some pretty legs, especially if you were taned or red from sun burn!

        Fautless starch!  You sure are bringing up a lotta sweat and work the ladies did in the past! <G>

        Sir John
      • Jan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
          Great photos!  Now I've always been curious....where does the "Sir" come from????/
          Jan

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
            Jan,

            I learned 3 or 4 years ago, through my double cousin, that we were kin to a King of England, George I think (One that beheaded his wives :-(  ) by marriage.  I was the editor of the local computer monthly newsletter at the time and I wrote up articles how to install program, delete files, etc.  I made comment the computer club now had royalty among the members and advised what I had found out.  I signed the article Sir John, Earl of Berkshire, being King John was a little too much.  I live on Berkshire Lane, which is English sounding, don'cha think?  Well, I tried dripping the Sir John bit but the computer club members wouldn't have any part of it <G>  It has stuck with me.....

            My cousin took a title for herself, while her husband just says he is 'Keeper of the Moat'.  They are the couple in the photo taken at the Mozart Cafe, Vienna, Austria and in the March 02 Cesky Hlas.

            Sir John
          • Nangotoo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002

              >>I learned 3 or 4 years ago, through my double cousin, that we were kin to a King of England, George I think (One that beheaded his wives :-(  ) by marriage<<

              John,  I think it was King Henry VIII who beheaded his wives for various inflated reasons (like not providing him an heir).  There were several King George's, too, but I don't know if they killed their mates.  If I remember my history, one of the Georges was a really weak, rather insane man, but of course, you couldn't be descended from that one, right?  :-)    Nan
            • Leroy Janda
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
                I think that the wife that Henry beheaded was Anne of Bohemia. Not real sure.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
                  Nan,

                  You're right about King Henry VIII, thanks to my cousin, Keeper of the Moat!

                  mates.  If I remember my history, one of the Georges was a really weak, rather insane man, but of course, you couldn't be descended from that one, right?  :-)

                  Nan, this really sounds like me!!!!!  <G>

                  O K every one - come to the Sokol/CHS Festival in Ennis, TX  Saturday Aug 3rd and meet Sir John at the eGroups table.  eGroups is short for electronic groups of the TexasCzechs list.  I will be able to explain how to turn your computer on and off, and maybe a little bit more.  Be sure to bring kolaches!  <G>  (Not Really - when you see me, you will think I down two dozen daily!)  I might be talked into singing the BRUSH YOUR TEETH WITH SANAFLUSH song!

                  Sir John

                  ---