Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: SPJST

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2002
      On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:00:31 -0500, you wrote:

      >A couple of years ago at a family reunion at Cottonwood Hall at West, a
      >cousin & I asked one of the Czech-speaking members of the hall to tell us
      >what the SPJST stood for.

      SPJST: Slovenska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texasu
      Slovanik Benevolent Order of the State of Texas
      A fraternal life insurance and social organization operating in Texas
      for over 100 years with lodges all over the state.

      KJT: Katolicka Jednota Texaska
      Catholic Union of Texas
      Catholic life insurance organization and social club.

      KJZT: Katolicka Jednota Zenskech Texaska
      Catholic Union of Women of Texas
      Same as above, women's branch.

      RVOS: Rolnicky Vzajemne Ochranny Spolek (Statu Texas)
      Farmer's Mutual Protective Association (State of Texas)
      Cooperative property insurance organization.

      SOKOL: Translates to "Falcon"
      Czech gymnastics organization. Started in the Czech Republic, but is
      now prevelent in Texas, New York, Illinois or whereever there are
      Czech communities.

      Cheers,

      Josef, Viscount of Cottonwood
    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2002
        Pat,

        Did you get the chance to see the SPJST Museum?  Browse through the library?
        Sir John
      • John L. Mikeska
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2002
          Pat,

           I did  use the wonderful Czech library for two days on one trip and again in 2000.  Dorothy Pechal headed up the library - she would ask what/who you were looking for and she'd make you a place to work and begin bringing you books, articles, already open to what you were looking for!!!  Heard she may have retired now.

          Sir John
        • Rosemary Ermis
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 17 12:16 PM
            A friend of my husband's said it means:

            "Special people Jesus sent to Texas"

            Rosemary Ermis
          • Sir John
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 17 2:38 PM
              Now I like that meaning of SPJST !

              Anyone ever in Temple, or even near it, and haven't toured the SPJST library and museum should do so.  Lot of history you can look up, also.  Obituaries included, too.

              Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 18 12:11 PM
                Way back when I was playing in country bands (Sammy and the Midnighters, Jeff and the Kickers, South Texas Bohemian Cowboys, and Texas Pride) we played a lot of SPJST and Sons of Hermann halls... we always said SPJST stood for "Some People Just Stand There"!

                Buster

                and by the way... Just how many sons did Hermann have!?!?!  he he he

                  ...and then there's Southern Pacific Just Shot Through.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 18 5:46 PM

                    Buster,

                    Thanks for the smile.  I remember many a Saturday night driving somewhere out of Caldwell to go to a Texas Pride dance.  Gee, we had fun: Texas Pride, The Barons.  Anybody remember Krystal Blue?

                    Anita Prazak
                    Pampered Chef Consultant
                    979/200-9105
                    chefanita@...
                    www.pamperedchef.biz/chefanita1
                    Orders can be placed on my website 24 hours a day - 7 days a week! Perfect for yourself or that last minute gift! You'll also find recipes and specials so be sure to add my website to your list of favorites and check back often!

                    Take 10 Minutes to Check Us Out!

                    Call our OPPORTUNITY LINE & listen to a recorded message about The Pampered Chef and the possibilities that await you.

                    Call (866) 837-8032, then enter code 1095577

                  • Tim Dybala
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 18 7:40 PM
                      I remember Krystal Blue...Mike Grey, but I can't think of the rest of the band members.  The keyboard player had long hair.  lead guitar was from Caldwell, I believe.  Saw them mostly in El Campo (KC Hall).

                      Tim Dybala

                      chefanita@classicne t.net
                      www.pamperedchef. biz/chefanita1
                      Orders can be placed on my website 24 hours a day - 7 days a week! Perfect for yourself or that last minute gift! You'll also find recipes and specials so be sure to add my website to your list of favorites and check back often!

                      Take 10 Minutes to Check Us Out!

                      Call our OPPORTUNITY LINE listen to a recorded message about The Pampered Chef and the possibilities that await you.

                      Call (866) 837-8032, then enter code 1095577

                    • Allen Livanec
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 18 7:53 PM
                        I remember B J Thomas & The Triumphs and Roy Head & the Traits that played in Hillje & Taiton hall back in the 60's.

                        Allen Livanec

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 18 8:08 PM
                           Tim. Are you related to Anton Dybala who went to school with me in El Campo?

                          Allen Livanec

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 19 3:37 AM
                            Krystal Blue - Mike Grey, lead singer, rhythm guitar,
                            Steve Kocurek(?) lead guitar, orig from Caldwell, I think.
                            Kelly-keyboard
                            Frank- drums

                            The Triumphs (sans BJ Thomas) usually play a benefit dance each February at Riverside Hall (East Bernard).

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 19 2:32 PM
                              No, I am orig from Ganado.  Haven't been able to find a connection to the
                              Dybalas of the El Campo area yet.

                              Tim Dybala