Re: SPJST

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2002
      A couple of years ago at a family reunion at Cottonwood Hall at West, a
      cousin & I asked one of the Czech-speaking members of the hall to tell us
      what the SPJST stood for. He pronounced it in Czech and repeated it about
      three times but of course, being completely ignorant of Czech, we had no
      idea what he was saying. He translated it to say something like Benevolent
      Czech Sons of Texas.

      My grandfather Urban was a Woodmen member & has a seal on his headstone.
      My dad was also a member, probably because he admired his father-in-law.
      The Sons of Herman are prominent where I live because this is a
      predominantly German area. I really only became aware of the SPJST when I
      was working out of the Temple TX Dept of Health office & traveled around the
      region. Being exposed to more Czech names and traditions sort of awakened
      my interest and when our family reunions began I started to get more
      interested in genealogy. Strange how we all come to these connections.

      Pat Lyon
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2002
        On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:00:31 -0500, you wrote:

        >A couple of years ago at a family reunion at Cottonwood Hall at West, a
        >cousin & I asked one of the Czech-speaking members of the hall to tell us
        >what the SPJST stood for.

        SPJST: Slovenska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texasu
        Slovanik Benevolent Order of the State of Texas
        A fraternal life insurance and social organization operating in Texas
        for over 100 years with lodges all over the state.

        KJT: Katolicka Jednota Texaska
        Catholic Union of Texas
        Catholic life insurance organization and social club.

        KJZT: Katolicka Jednota Zenskech Texaska
        Catholic Union of Women of Texas
        Same as above, women's branch.

        RVOS: Rolnicky Vzajemne Ochranny Spolek (Statu Texas)
        Farmer's Mutual Protective Association (State of Texas)
        Cooperative property insurance organization.

        SOKOL: Translates to "Falcon"
        Czech gymnastics organization. Started in the Czech Republic, but is
        now prevelent in Texas, New York, Illinois or whereever there are
        Czech communities.

        Cheers,

        Josef, Viscount of Cottonwood
      • John L. Mikeska
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2002
          Pat,

          Did you get the chance to see the SPJST Museum?  Browse through the library?
          Sir John
        • John L. Mikeska
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2002
            Pat,

             I did  use the wonderful Czech library for two days on one trip and again in 2000.  Dorothy Pechal headed up the library - she would ask what/who you were looking for and she'd make you a place to work and begin bringing you books, articles, already open to what you were looking for!!!  Heard she may have retired now.

            Sir John
          • Rosemary Ermis
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 17, 2009
              A friend of my husband's said it means:

              "Special people Jesus sent to Texas"

              Rosemary Ermis
            • Sir John
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 17, 2009
                Now I like that meaning of SPJST !

                Anyone ever in Temple, or even near it, and haven't toured the SPJST library and museum should do so.  Lot of history you can look up, also.  Obituaries included, too.

                Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 18, 2009
                  Way back when I was playing in country bands (Sammy and the Midnighters, Jeff and the Kickers, South Texas Bohemian Cowboys, and Texas Pride) we played a lot of SPJST and Sons of Hermann halls... we always said SPJST stood for "Some People Just Stand There"!

                  Buster

                  and by the way... Just how many sons did Hermann have!?!?!  he he he

                    ...and then there's Southern Pacific Just Shot Through.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 18, 2009

                      Buster,

                      Thanks for the smile.  I remember many a Saturday night driving somewhere out of Caldwell to go to a Texas Pride dance.  Gee, we had fun: Texas Pride, The Barons.  Anybody remember Krystal Blue?

                      Anita Prazak
                      Pampered Chef Consultant
                      979/200-9105
                      chefanita@...
                      www.pamperedchef.biz/chefanita1
                      Orders can be placed on my website 24 hours a day - 7 days a week! Perfect for yourself or that last minute gift! You'll also find recipes and specials so be sure to add my website to your list of favorites and check back often!

                      Take 10 Minutes to Check Us Out!

                      Call our OPPORTUNITY LINE & listen to a recorded message about The Pampered Chef and the possibilities that await you.

                      Call (866) 837-8032, then enter code 1095577

                    • Tim Dybala
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 18, 2009
                        I remember Krystal Blue...Mike Grey, but I can't think of the rest of the band members.  The keyboard player had long hair.  lead guitar was from Caldwell, I believe.  Saw them mostly in El Campo (KC Hall).

                        Tim Dybala

                        chefanita@classicne t.net
                        www.pamperedchef. biz/chefanita1
                        Orders can be placed on my website 24 hours a day - 7 days a week! Perfect for yourself or that last minute gift! You'll also find recipes and specials so be sure to add my website to your list of favorites and check back often!

                        Take 10 Minutes to Check Us Out!

                        Call our OPPORTUNITY LINE listen to a recorded message about The Pampered Chef and the possibilities that await you.

                        Call (866) 837-8032, then enter code 1095577

                      • Allen Livanec
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 18, 2009
                          I remember B J Thomas & The Triumphs and Roy Head & the Traits that played in Hillje & Taiton hall back in the 60's.

                          Allen Livanec

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 18, 2009
                             Tim. Are you related to Anton Dybala who went to school with me in El Campo?

                            Allen Livanec

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 19, 2009
                              Krystal Blue - Mike Grey, lead singer, rhythm guitar,
                              Steve Kocurek(?) lead guitar, orig from Caldwell, I think.
                              Kelly-keyboard
                              Frank- drums

                              The Triumphs (sans BJ Thomas) usually play a benefit dance each February at Riverside Hall (East Bernard).

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 19, 2009
                                No, I am orig from Ganado.  Haven't been able to find a connection to the
                                Dybalas of the El Campo area yet.

                                Tim Dybala