Obituary of Alfred Hajek

  • Matt Cross
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2002
      Obituary of Alfred Hajek
      Shiner Gazette

      Alfred G. Hajek, 88 years, 4 months and 26 days, farmer and rancher of Rt.
      2, Hallettsville, passed away Wednesday, May 10, 1978.

      Recitation of the Rosary was at Schwenke-Baumgarten Funeral Chapel,
      Schulenburg, Thursday, May 11, at 7 p.m. led by Rev. Benton Thurmond.

      Funeral services were held at 10 a.m. Friday, May 12 at Moravia Catholic
      Church with Rev. William Halata officiating.

      Interment was in Moravia Catholic Cemetery.

      Pallbearers were Edgar Eggert, Jr. of Mathis, Reynold Veselka of
      Hallettsville, his nephews; Frank Poessel Jr. of Beasley, his grandson; L.A.
      Wenglar, E.J. Berger and Ted Polasek of Moravia.

      He was born on the same farm where he died, son of Joseph and Mary (Matula)
      Hajek, Dec. 14, 1889. He was married on Sept. 25, 1916 at Ascension
      Catholic Church, Moravia, to Agnes Chovanetz by Rev. Alfonse Raska.

      He was married for more than 61 years, and lived in Lavaca County all his
      life.

      Mr. Hajek was a member of the Catholic Church and SPJST Lodge No. 23 for
      more than 69 years. He also served on the school board for several years.

      Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Alfred Hajek of Moravia, two daughters,
      Mrs. Frank G. (Sylvia) Poessel of Beasley, Mrs. John (Mildred) Vacek of
      Dickinson; a son-in-law, John Vacek of Dickinson; two sisters, Mrs. Edgar
      (Edith) Eggert of Robstown, Mrs. John (Mary) Trojak of Hallettsville; a
      brother, Willie E. Hajek of Moravia; one grandson, Frank G. Poessel Jr. of
      Beasley and College Station and 20 nieces and nephews.

      He was preceded in death by a son-in-law, Frank G. Poessel of Beasley 14
      months ago; a brother, Edmond Hajek, Jan. 17, 1972; and a sister, Mrs. Ed
      (Annie) Bucek, Mar. 4, 1973.

      Submitted by Larry Berkenhoff
      Posted by Matt Cross

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2002
        Could someone tell me what is the S.P.J.S.T.?  When we went to Shiner cemeteries a little over a week ago, we noticed the sign and we have some family members buried in this section of the cemetery.  I know about the Sons of Hermann (many of the male members of my family were members), but not about this other organization.  Thanks.

        Nan Gaither
        San Diego, CA
      • Gilbert Bohuslav
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2002
          Go to
              http://www.spjst.com/history.html
          and get all the info you need.

          Gilbert

        • Nangotoo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2002

            >>Go to
               http://www.spjst.com/history.html
            and get all the info you need. <<

            Thank you, Gilbert.  I appreciate it.

            Nan

          • John L. Mikeska
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2002
              Nan,
              Thought someone would post answer to your question as I could not remember how to spell the first two words! <G>.  SPJST definition is below:
               Our History

              The name of this fraternal benefit society is SPJST - originally charterd [sic] as the Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas (Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas [SPJST]). To non-members - SPJST is a concept that is

              SPJST has a nice Web site at www.sptst.com.  Check it out.  In simple terms it is an insurance co founded by Czechs and catered to Czechs.  I am not familiar with Sons of Hermann, but am with Woodmen of the World (WOW), which had group meetings, burial markers, etc.  I found my grandmother and one of her sons were charter members of an SPJST Hall formed at Rowena, TX in the 1910 - 1920 era.

              SPJST has an excellent Czech library of Czechs in Texas and a wonderful museum.  If you ever are in the Temple, TX area, I recommend you tour the library and museum.

              Sir John